Trenches

Advertisement
Do people really think Richt is going to close a class with no OL & DL?

Dline has talent, the scheme hurts them though. Muhammad is the best we have had since Vernon. Oline is the most pressing need on the team, after that it's CB and receiver

Willis should be immediate DL help, but the OL scares me.
Yeah Willis is our 5star commit at the position. He will be fully ready to go. Have 2 years of practice under his belt and he knows next year is his money year. This would make him more valuable than any dlineman we might bring in especially for the 2016 season because of his practice experience

Is he a DT or DE?

He's about 6'2 280. He can play both but if Muhammad comes back I want him as a penetrating and disruptive force on the inside. You don't have to be 6'4 315 to be good in fact of the smaller dtd are hard to block like Aaron Donald the former Pitt Player

Advertisement
No kidding. As I posted a few weeks ago, the lateral was possible because it fit our strengths...athletes in space. Make it a scrum and we're shoved out of the stadium.

I still remember the names from when I was a kid -- Trosch, Taterek and Hendricks. Spelling might be butchered on the first two. Regardless, my dad taught me to watch and appreciate the linemen, particularly on defense. Those '70s teams may have been weak to mediocre but it was never boring, not with the great schedules, rocking Orange Bowl, and so many disruptive Canes defensive tackles. We defeated Texas, and hung tight with great Oklahoma teams in '73 and '75, primarily due to those linemen.

My dad died in 2012. In his final years he bemoaned that none of our defensive tackles were worth watching. Absolutely. And nothing has changed. It's beyond insulting for many of the younger posters here, including top guns at the website, to pretend that our talent level has been special and should have resulted in high national finishes. That is runaway ignorance. Stop salivating over screen passes and route trees. Last spring somebody from the staff here touted Michael Wyche as vastly improved and now a force. That's how pathetic it has become. We don't even know what we are looking at. This year most of our defensive tackles were returnees. They weren't worthy of a glance. I watched Norton briefly. He should be your third best newcomer, not someone who is touted as a savior.

I'm confident Richt will shift things in the proper direction. From what I've seen in Dade County for years, he'll have to mostly look elsewhere. This county has become sideways finesse with lots of prancing touchdowns. Celebrations are practiced and cherished. That's obviously the highlight for the kids. I'm not sure defensive tackles are allowed to try out for the roster. They might disturb the prancing and therefore the celebrations.

I think there are weight limits in Optimist football so that's why we don't develop DT's and OL in South Florida. I could be wrong though.

Erek Flowers was from Miami, so it does happen, but just not as often as the skill positions

I think there are weight limits in Optimist football so that's why we don't develop DT's and OL in South Florida. I could be wrong though.

Erek Flowers was from Miami, so it does happen, but just not as often as the skill positions

yes we need to go out of state for Oline and DT. Handpick here and there. basically our whole Oline was from FL besides Gall and Sunny.

Advertisement
Jimmy and Butch were both DT's so they understood the importance of the trenches.

Miami will always be good at the skill positions. What made us great in the old days is not that Testaverde was any better than Kaaya or that Bratton was any better than Yearby.

It was that Jerome Brown was a **** of a lot better than Michael Wyche, etc.

Right on point.

We get back to beasting at the DT position and we'll be elite again.

OL also has to get eons better.

Advertisement

That depends on the league and age. However, a lot of 11U, 12U, and 13U teams are going unlimited on the lines now.

I think the defensive line will improve dramatically by proxy of a new scheme that fits most of our DLs skillset.

The OL is going to be a world of problems. The unit needs an ***** and Kehoe needs to be given a gold watch, told thanks for his services, and sent into retirement.

Building a roster at Miami is easy if you know what you are doing:

1) get an elite, smart QB
2) recruit tough OL from across the country
3) recruit athletes everywhere else, and let the bigger ones play on the DL

It's a formula that is so basic and simple. Yet we had morons like Golden turning athletes away bc they couldn't 2-gap, and Randy refusing to recruit a real QB.

This **** ain't rocket science, the map was laid out by Howard, JJ, Dennis and Butch.

And it helps to have an actually qualified staff.....

Advertisement
this is one of the worst indictments on the program that I have ever seen. IMHO, this is the number 1 reason why we have not had success.

I know ultimately the fate of the program fell on golden but this is a direct reflection on Kehoe.
Hard to justify him staying around under richt when we haven't had a decent line in years

According to statistical analysis done by Football Outsiders, who looked at every play of every game by every team this year and charted them- here is how Miami did in the trenches

Offensive Line
Miami: 116th rank
Alabama 13th rank
Clemson 9th rank

DL
Alabama 3rd rank
Clemson 4th rank
Miami 108th rank

Basically we got our **** pushed in, both sides of the ball

If we want to be great, that has to change. Great Miami teams of old were strongest at the Line of Scrimmage, now this is our biggest weakness.

Unfortunately S Florida doesn't produce many good o linemen or DT's. We have zero DT's and linemen committed right now, and I'm not aware that we're talking to any.

Guy's, "I'm not " sure if this is actual "3T analyst" guy's, So I'm not "endorsing" these rankgins guy's Until I have consulted with my "3T Sparedsheetes", GuY's.

Advertisement
Back