Trenches

CaneInTheBrain

Thunderdome
According to statistical analysis done by Football Outsiders, who looked at every play of every game by every team this year and charted them- here is how Miami did in the trenches

Offensive Line
Miami: 116th rank
Alabama 13th rank
Clemson 9th rank

DL
Alabama 3rd rank
Clemson 4th rank
Miami 108th rank

Basically we got our **** pushed in, both sides of the ball

If we want to be great, that has to change. Great Miami teams of old were strongest at the Line of Scrimmage, now this is our biggest weakness.

Unfortunately S Florida doesn't produce many good o linemen or DT's. We have zero DT's and linemen committed right now, and I'm not aware that we're talking to any.

Advertisement
Jimmy and Butch were both DT's so they understood the importance of the trenches.

Miami will always be good at the skill positions. What made us great in the old days is not that Testaverde was any better than Kaaya or that Bratton was any better than Yearby.

It was that Jerome Brown was a **** of a lot better than Michael Wyche, etc.

Advertisement
This will get corrected quickly with Richt. He understand that to compete against the top teams, the LOS battle is most important. I hope those two tackles from American Heritage come on board for next year.

According to statistical analysis done by Football Outsiders, who looked at every play of every game by every team this year and charted them- here is how Miami did in the trenches

Offensive Line
Miami: 116th rank
Alabama 13th rank
Clemson 9th rank

DL
Alabama 3rd rank
Clemson 4th rank
Miami 108th rank

Basically we got our **** pushed in, both sides of the ball

If we want to be great, that has to change. Great Miami teams of old were strongest at the Line of Scrimmage, now this is our biggest weakness.

Unfortunately S Florida doesn't produce many good o linemen or DT's. We have zero DT's and linemen committed right now, and I'm not aware that we're talking to any.

It's a miracle that we went 8-4 with this garbage.

It makes what Kaaya did this year even more impressive. He had to get rid of the ball quickly. All in all, not many turnovers seeing as we had the WOAT o-line.

Advertisement
No statistical analysis necessary. I saw it happen.

I need statistical analysis. Id like that Buckeye fan who did the T3 trench analysis to tell us about how we did in the tremches and foxholes, actually

But really, this is probably the biggest reason we've been mediocre for so long. Kind of related to the Richardson v's Miller thread, actually. We've always had good enough talent at skill positions. If Richt pulls in the class it looks like he's gonna pull, we'll be better than ever.

What will make or break the Mark Richt era is coaching and recruiting the OL and DL

Advertisement
Jimmy and Butch were both DT's so they understood the importance of the trenches.

Miami will always be good at the skill positions. What made us great in the old days is not that Testaverde was any better than Kaaya or that Bratton was any better than Yearby.

It was that Jerome Brown was a **** of a lot better than Michael Wyche, etc.

I agree and really like Brad, but Vinny is one heck of a capable to pick out. Brad is brainy type but my Lord Vinny was something to watch. 3rd and 20 meant nothing to that man. Joe is very good back, but did you actually see Mel run? Old Canes say he was the best of them all.

Now that aside, DTs were the difference between Miami and everyone else. Bowden always said, "if you want to beat Miami, keep them for getting any DT's". Brown, RIP, and his kind made our defenses work. Nothing an offense can do will overcome having your center and guards thrown on 5 yards backward into the QB's lap. Those have to be grizzle bears with quick feet for the speed of everyone else to work.

BUT you also need a Miami level QB to be what we where. Doesn't have to be NFL QB but needs brains and leadership. Someone who is going to score enough and make the plays when needed. Our olines were never that great(except that last one Butch put together). Earlier they were smaller and nimble. Not easy to be huge 340 lbs in So Fl unless you are just fat. the heat works against you. 70's Dolphins olines were the same. Still there is no excuse for this year's line.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back