Trenches

Advertisement
Jimmy and Butch were both DT's so they understood the importance of the trenches.

Miami will always be good at the skill positions. What made us great in the old days is not that Testaverde was any better than Kaaya or that Bratton was any better than Yearby.

It was that Jerome Brown was a **** of a lot better than Michael Wyche, etc.

I agree and really like Brad, but Vinny is one heck of a capable to pick out. Brad is brainy type but my Lord Vinny was something to watch. 3rd and 20 meant nothing to that man. Joe is very good back, but did you actually see Mel run? Old Canes say he was the best of them all.

Now that aside, DTs were the difference between Miami and everyone else. Bowden always said, "if you want to beat Miami, keep them for getting any DT's". Brown, RIP, and his kind made our defenses work. Nothing an offense can do will overcome having your center and guards thrown on 5 yards backward into the QB's lap. Those have to be grizzle bears with quick feet for the speed of everyone else to work.

BUT you also need a Miami level QB to be what we where. Doesn't have to be NFL QB but needs brains and leadership. Someone who is going to score enough and make the plays when needed. Our olines were never that great(except that last one Butch put together). Earlier they were smaller and nimble. Not easy to be huge 340 lbs in So Fl unless you are just fat. the heat works against you. 70's Dolphins olines were the same. Still there is no excuse for this year's line.

The '86 games are all up on YouTube. I'd take Kaaya over Vinny, just because Kaaya makes smarter decisions and throws fewer picks. Also more accurate IMO. Both are NFL types. Vinny was more athletic but not as good of a game manager.

That 86 OL was good. Undersized, but you don't have to be big to be a great offensive line, there are many ways to skin a cat. **** we can become a zone blocking team if that's what it takes, or start recruiting central/north Florida and Georgia better. I'm not sure what is wrong on the O-line...coaching, recruiting, development....probably a bit of everything.

The biggest difference is on the d line, as everyone knows. No kids wanted to play in Donofrios scheme, and so we have a bunch of JAGS anchoring our d line. FAU was knocking us back. It's bad....really bad. Need to get some freshmen who can start right away in the middle

No way. The really smart guys on the board swore up and down Mario is doing a terrible job at Bama and they want him out.

Advertisement
Do people really think Richt is going to close a class with no OL & DL?

Dline has talent, the scheme hurts them though. Muhammad is the best we have had since Vernon. Oline is the most pressing need on the team, after that it's CB and receiver

Jimmy and Butch were both DT's so they understood the importance of the trenches.

Miami will always be good at the skill positions. What made us great in the old days is not that Testaverde was any better than Kaaya or that Bratton was any better than Yearby.

It was that Jerome Brown was a **** of a lot better than Michael Wyche, etc.

I agree and really like Brad, but Vinny is one heck of a capable to pick out. Brad is brainy type but my Lord Vinny was something to watch. 3rd and 20 meant nothing to that man. Joe is very good back, but did you actually see Mel run? Old Canes say he was the best of them all.

Now that aside, DTs were the difference between Miami and everyone else. Bowden always said, "if you want to beat Miami, keep them for getting any DT's". Brown, RIP, and his kind made our defenses work. Nothing an offense can do will overcome having your center and guards thrown on 5 yards backward into the QB's lap. Those have to be grizzle bears with quick feet for the speed of everyone else to work.

BUT you also need a Miami level QB to be what we where. Doesn't have to be NFL QB but needs brains and leadership. Someone who is going to score enough and make the plays when needed. Our olines were never that great(except that last one Butch put together). Earlier they were smaller and nimble. Not easy to be huge 340 lbs in So Fl unless you are just fat. the heat works against you. 70's Dolphins olines were the same. Still there is no excuse for this year's line.

The '86 games are all up on YouTube. I'd take Kaaya over Vinny, just because Kaaya makes smarter decisions and throws fewer picks. Also more accurate IMO. Both are NFL types. Vinny was more athletic but not as good of a game manager.

That 86 OL was good. Undersized, but you don't have to be big to be a great offensive line, there are many ways to skin a cat. **** we can become a zone blocking team if that's what it takes, or start recruiting central/north Florida and Georgia better. I'm not sure what is wrong on the O-line...coaching, recruiting, development....probably a bit of everything.

The biggest difference is on the d line, as everyone knows. No kids wanted to play in Donofrios scheme, and so we have a bunch of JAGS anchoring our d line. FAU was knocking us back. It's bad....really bad. Need to get some freshmen who can start right away in the middle

Yeap. I love Kaaya and see him going 1st round but Vinny went 1st in the draft. I watch noles beat him to death with sacks and late hits and he was unfazed. I like smart QBs -- they win us NCs but boy was Vinny exciting. Brad's pick numbers are amazing, especially given his poor protection. I'd go with the Heisman winner BUT we beat PSU in the NC game if Brad was playing with that team.

Advertisement
OP, how do these stats stack up with 3T Analytics?

I plugged in Miami's defense to the buckeye power 3T supercomputer, and before catching fire and blowing up, it spit this out:

obj-dorito.png

Advertisement
And people think Swasey is the goat bc players come back to train. Lol. We been soft in the trenches since 05

Im trying to figure out all of this Harris love....he needs to be gone and get a real RB coach in here....Only coaches that should be retained is Beard and Scott. Fire everyone else

Advertisement
Im trying to figure out all of this Harris love....he needs to be gone and get a real RB coach in here....Only coaches that should be retained is Beard and Scott. Fire everyone else

Do you know the amount of blowback we would get from high school coaches if we did that

According to statistical analysis done by Football Outsiders, who looked at every play of every game by every team this year and charted them- here is how Miami did in the trenches

Offensive Line
Miami: 116th rank
Alabama 13th rank
Clemson 9th rank

DL
Alabama 3rd rank
Clemson 4th rank
Miami 108th rank

Basically we got our **** pushed in, both sides of the ball

If we want to be great, that has to change. Great Miami teams of old were strongest at the Line of Scrimmage, now this is our biggest weakness.

Unfortunately S Florida doesn't produce many good o linemen or DT's. We have zero DT's and linemen committed right now, and I'm not aware that we're talking to any.

Greatest post ever. WE NEED OLINE and DLINE ASAP.

A monster DL and OL is the key to dominance. Look at all the national champions since forever....they were all stacked to the **** on the DL/OL.

Our DL/OL recruiting has been nowhere near as good as required for us to be where we want to be. Our OL class last year was a bunch of jags. Our DL recruiting, particularly DT has been abhorrent. getting one or two players like AQM, Chad in like 3 years is not gonna cut it.

Richt has alot of work to do and the finish to this 2016 class and the entire 2017 class needs to be impressive.

Advertisement
Back