Trayone Gray's coach on grades

Advertisement
Gray played WR as a junior with a quality quarterback (Akeem Jones) and he didn't do much. His production has come from running with the football.

People make the Boldin comparison based on their size and strength, but Boldin is elite in terms of hands and ball skills. Gray hasn't shown that yet. He's faster than Boldin, though.

As a freshman, I like him on kickoff return, at RB and possibly as a Wildcat quarterback. I'm a fan of QB runs in short-yardage and deep red zone situations.

The Boldin comparison might be a little much. A very trusted friend of mine, been in the scene for over 30 years, holds that Boldin's dominance at the HS level was second only to SeanT. I like to see Grey as a faster version of Jason Geathers. Similar body types/skill set. Let's see how his game translates to college.

Side note:
Love Akeem Jones. Great kid.

a if gray played 2A football like sean taylor and boldin he would be a high school legend just like those guys this kid is a ball player i hope he plays one position his hold career

Gray played WR as a junior with a quality quarterback (Akeem Jones) and he didn't do much. His production has come from running with the football.

People make the Boldin comparison based on their size and strength, but Boldin is elite in terms of hands and ball skills. Gray hasn't shown that yet. He's faster than Boldin, though.

As a freshman, I like him on kickoff return, at RB and possibly as a Wildcat quarterback. I'm a fan of QB runs in short-yardage and deep red zone situations.

The Boldin comparison might be a little much. A very trusted friend of mine, been in the scene for over 30 years, holds that Boldin's dominance at the HS level was second only to SeanT. I like to see Grey as a faster version of Jason Geathers. Similar body types/skill set. Let's see how his game translates to college.

Side note:

a if gray played 2A football like sean taylor and boldin he would be a high school legend just like those guys this kid is a ball player i hope he plays one position his hold career

Common misconception. Higher rank doesn't necessarily equate to better competition. For a long time, Chaminade and Bolles traded off as the top teams in the state, regardless of classification. Right now the money class is 6a. 8a pales in comparison. Not saying that you're wrong, but higher classification does not always equate to better competition.

Side note:

Common misconception. Higher rank doesn't necessarily equate to better competition. For a long time, Chaminade and Bolles traded off as the top teams in the state, regardless of classification. Right now the money class is 6a. 8a pales in comparison. Not saying that you're wrong, but higher classification does not always equate to better competition.

As someone who played at the lower classifications (in Taylor's district at the time), I think there is a difference. There may be a small ball team or two (like a Glades Central) that can hang, but for the most part, across a roster, the sheer size/speed differential is significant.

When we jumped out of district play to take on a bigger school (I think 5A at the time when we were 2 or 3A), and that team went 4WR, my cushion against WRs was a legit 2 extra yards or a tick on the backpedal. I remember that 5A team ran Flood patterns all night and the inside WR's out-pattern was always open. When we played small ball schools (like Gulliver), they ran similar combo patterns (smash, flood, etc.) and I could easily run with guys.

I could mention all that, or I can mention that Sean Taylor's famous highlight of jumping completely over a guy in HS was against one of my best friends' younger brother. That's not to say ST would have been a lesser superstar in 6A. It's just to say you don't see as many of those WTF opportunities.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back