Trayone Gray should switch positions

The guy isnt overly aggressive and hasnt shown the ability to get behind his pads as a taller guy to suggest Rb.

Thats why i dont like tall backs...

The more i think of it the more i think he belongs in the SE or x spot..... with a little bit of y sprinkled in.
The reason why I don't like the WR route is because some folks have reported him getting as heavy as 240. How many 240 lb WR's do we see running around? Just as an example, three of the biggest WR's that come to mind for me are Anquan Boldin, Mike Evans, and Calvin Johnson. Those guys go 220, 231, and 236, respectively...and Evans/Johnson have 3 inches in height on Gray. You simply don't see a lot of WR's running around at 240+.

Now, for RB's...there are guys throughout history who were 240+ (Natrone Means, Christian Okoye, Ironhead Heyward, etc), and were **** good NFL RB's. And speaking of Okoye...his running mate for years in KC was Barry Word who played at....*drumroll*....6'2/240. He wasn't too bad in his own right, and held a ton of rushing records collegiately at UVA until Tiki Barber and Thomas Jones came thru there.

I think it would be an easier path to keep him at RB or H-Back, and let him use his natural instincts with the football in his hands out of the backfield. Either hand it to him or throw it to him, just get him the football.

Advertisement
His film/highlights suggests he can catch and throw.

Dude seems to be able to do it all. havent seen him block though.

He got some hands though. strong hands too.

I would redshirted him this following year and make him learn the wr position as for elder he should have redshirted his first year here also just shows you how dumb this staff is.

The guy isnt overly aggressive and hasnt shown the ability to get behind his pads as a taller guy to suggest Rb.

Thats why i dont like tall backs...

The more i think of it the more i think he belongs in the SE or x spot..... with a little bit of y sprinkled in.
The reason why I don't like the WR route is because some folks have reported him getting as heavy as 240. How many 240 lb WR's do we see running around? Just as an example, three of the biggest WR's that come to mind for me are Anquan Boldin, Mike Evans, and Calvin Johnson. Those guys go 220, 231, and 236, respectively...and Evans/Johnson have 3 inches in height on Gray. You simply don't see a lot of WR's running around at 240+.

Now, for RB's...there are guys throughout history who were 240+ (Natrone Means, Christian Okoye, Ironhead Heyward, etc), and were **** good NFL RB's. And speaking of Okoye...his running mate for years in KC was Barry Word who played at....*drumroll*....6'2/240. He wasn't too bad in his own right, and held a ton of rushing records collegiately at UVA until Tiki Barber and Thomas Jones came thru there.

I think it would be an easier path to keep him at RB or H-Back, and let him use his natural instincts with the football in his hands out of the backfield. Either hand it to him or throw it to him, just get him the football.

well ****, 240? already?

i didnt know that. im visioning 215 to 220 at 6'2. kind of like dez B.

if hes already 240.. then f me. i hope he can block.

Advertisement
Keep him on Offense...make him an H-Back type of guy. He could be what Quad Hill was for us. If you have an elite athlete at FB and know how to use him in a pro-style system...that's a dangerous weapon.

Great idea taking an incredible game-changing athlete like Gray and moving him to a position where he is a glorified OL.
So...Quad Hill was a glorified OL? I seem to remember that dude making more plays from the FB position in his career than that line of thought would suggest. He used to make a bunch of plays out of the backfield, catching the football.

My point is, even if he's 6'2/240 as some have reported he's approaching, and Quad was 6'2/228 (that's his last listed height/weight on the official site)...the body type seems similar enough to use him in a similar way, if Pricko Suave is smart enough to use him. Per the Canes official site--Hill had 41 receptions for a 10.5 average in his career. I think if we used Gray in a similar role, he could have more catches AND average a higher YPC, because he is a game-breaking athlete.

Not to mention, getting him on the field at the same time as guys like Yearby, Scarlett, Coley, Berrios, Dobard, etc...IF used correctly, creates some major mismatches with Gray on a LB out of the backfield. I'd rather give that a try than put him on D where his talents would definitely be squandered.

First things first. We don't have the same OC we had when Quad was here. We don't use the FB.

Second, Quad couldn't carry Gray's jock from an athletic standpoint.

Third, aside from the wvu game where he had about 11 catches, we didn't get all that much out of Quad.

Are big backs not allowed anymore? These quacks would probably make Ben Rothlisberger a TE saying he's too big for a QB. Let the kid play his position.

Are big backs not allowed anymore? These quacks would probably make Ben Rothlisberger a TE saying he's too big for a QB. Let the kid play his position.

Yep. And lol at dudes already counting on Scarlett and Williams being here. Not only will they likely decommit, but why do people automatically assume they'd be better than Gray, who everyone was touting as the next great cane a few short months ago? The recruiting nerds will turn on you quicker than snakes.

Its not a question of him being a big back.... its can he get behind his pads at his height like you need a big back to do. James conner is a 6'2 230+ back.. but he gets low.

I havent seen anything that suggests trayon is physical and nasty enough to do that at the collegiate level.

i mean, look at gus. hes 6'2 230 plus and its THAT much easier to tackle him because his center of gravity is too high.

yall think trayon is a **** bruisier? umm no... could he be? yes. atm? no

Advertisement
I have seen Quad dunk a basketball from a few steps in from the foul line at 230 pounds. He's an **** good athlete.

First things first. We don't have the same OC we had when Quad was here. We don't use the FB.
I know, which is just another reason why I question Pricko Suave and his skills as an OC. I understand wanting to run more Spread with the WR's we have, but dammit...if you have a guy capable of lining up in the backfield and creating mismatches from the FB spot...that will ALWAYS work as long as football exists. You just have to put it in your gameplan and set it up. That's on the OC to do.

Second, Quad couldn't carry Gray's jock from an athletic standpoint.
Agreed, which is why I think you could put Gray in that spot and he'd be a lot more productive than Quad was, and what Quad was for us wasn't exactly "bad" as far as FB's go. He was definitely solid.

Third, aside from the wvu game where he had about 11 catches, we didn't get all that much out of Quad.
...because of the aforementioned athletic limitations Quad had, that we agree Gray doesn't have. That tells me he could be a lot more productive in a similar role.

I have seen Quad dunk a basketball from a few steps in from the foul line at 230 pounds. He's an **** good athlete.
To play at the level Quad did, he had to be a "good athlete" when compared to most. I think the athletic ability comparison between him and Gray is a runaway in Gray's favor, hands down, though...and I think that's where Franchise was coming from (and that I agree with).

Advertisement
Gray has 6 rushes and 1 fumble and 1 turnover. He couldn't break the 3 deep at RB this year. He gets a lot of the benefit of the doubt so far. He needs to start backing up his hype train before I start jumping on board the freak athlete comparison.

Last edited:
I'll go ahead and throw myself under the bus here. I could have sworn that someone said Gray was approaching 240 now, someone in an interview, or something.

Today, Gray was one of the players interviewed after practice. Straight from his own mouth:

Freshman RB Trayone Gray said today that he's weighing in at 213 pounds; he arrived at UM weighing 220 pounds.

He says his goal weight is 215.

Given that new information--keep him at RB. Let him play some Wildcat, maybe even get some throws in. Him running some read option with Yearby would be tough to defend.

Advertisement
Depending on how this recruiting class turns out, I would not be surprised to see Trayone Gray moved to linebacker.

Its not a question of him being a big back.... its can he get behind his pads at his height like you need a big back to do. James conner is a 6'2 230+ back.. but he gets low.

I havent seen anything that suggests trayon is physical and nasty enough to do that at the collegiate level.

i mean, look at gus. hes 6'2 230 plus and its THAT much easier to tackle him because his center of gravity is too high.

James Conner is 250, he doesnt need to get low he is bigger than a lot of DE and nearly every LB he plays against. He will just truck you, thats not Gray's style. He is shifty for his size, but I agree he needs to learn to run behind his pads and evolve into the type of back that he needs to be with his size

I think Treyone ends up at WR. We don't have a ton of quality depth there. It all depends on who the current staff can manage to convince to sign with them in Feb. If they can land one solid RB, like Scarlett, then I think they will let Yearby, Scarlett, and Gus be the rotation, and I think Gray moves to WR. If they strike out, I expect Gray to stay at RB.

James Conner is 250, he doesnt need to get low he is bigger than a lot of DE and nearly every LB he plays against. He will just truck you, thats not Gray's style. He is shifty for his size, but I agree he needs to learn to run behind his pads and evolve into the type of back that he needs to be with his size

Well, you just proved that you've never played rb or a lick of defense at any level in your life. and if you have you were afraid and didnt start.

Size doesn't mean you can lack good form and running ability.

Read that crap you typed again and then smack yourself.

James connor is a beast because he runs behind his pads at that size. If he ran straight up he would not be the rb he is. PERIOD.

there is just no denying this.

From 42 seconds to 1:20 is the reason why he is a beast at that size. if he didnt get behind his pads hed be easy to tackle. fugg out of here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oHfZyPgdRE

Advertisement
Back