Trayone Gray should switch positions

rok

Great Poster
Now that he's completely wasted one year of eligibility, where should this staph consider moving him?

He has no future at RB with Scarlett and Walton on the way to supplement Yearby, Tucker and Edwards.

Didn't he play some safety in high school?

With Gayot moving to LB and Fentress moving on we now have Bush, Carter, Crawford, Jenkins at safety.

If Johnson makes it here and we move Gray to safety we could be set up relatively nicely there.

Advertisement
Now that he's completely wasted one year of eligibility, where should this staph consider moving him?

He has no future at RB with Scarlett and Walton on the way to supplement Yearby, Tucker and Edwards.

With Gayot moving to LB and Fentress moving on we now have Bush, Carter, Crawford, Jenkins at safety.

If Johnson makes it here and we move Gray to safety we could be set up relatively nicely there.

I say move him to LB

Keep him on Offense...make him an H-Back type of guy. He could be what Quad Hill was for us. If you have an elite athlete at FB and know how to use him in a pro-style system...that's a dangerous weapon.

Advertisement
Keep him on Offense...make him an H-Back type of guy. He could be what Quad Hill was for us. If you have an elite athlete at FB and know how to use him in a pro-style system...that's a dangerous weapon.

Problem is we seem to have forgotten how to use the fullback. Fullback and TE were wonder weapons of old Canes.

FB, Howard is always fond of saying give me a FB & TE and I can win 8 games

Great idea taking an incredible game-changing athlete like Gray and moving him to a position where he is a glorified OL.

Advertisement
if he could be a davenport type, would be great.

especially if we get our RB class for '15 all signed

Last edited:
Advertisement

Leave Gray at RB. Let Ice work his magic. I think Gray will benefit from a full offseason.

2014 (Freshman): Made career debut against FAMU, recording 10-yard touchdown on career-first carry...Carried three times for 13 yards against Rattlers...Had two carries for nine yards against Arkansas State...Had one carry against Cincinnati.

Wow, a total of 6 carries all year. WTF is wrong with this staff. I'm 100% convinced we have the sh*tiest coaching staff in the country. Who wastes a complete year of a player who obviously needed a redshirt to iron out what position he will play and then learn the playbook/position. That's a total fail on the staff.

Advertisement
2014 (Freshman): Made career debut against FAMU, recording 10-yard touchdown on career-first carry...Carried three times for 13 yards against Rattlers...Had two carries for nine yards against Arkansas State...Had one carry against Cincinnati.

Wow, a total of 6 carries all year. WTF is wrong with this staff. I'm 100% convinced we have the sh*tiest coaching staff in the country. Who wastes a complete year of a player who obviously needed a redshirt to iron out what position he will play and then learn the playbook/position. That's a total fail on the staff.

If any guy on the team should have shirted it was Gray. Came in late, didn't have a real position yet, and probably just needed to adjust to college life more than others. ****** thing is the NCAA will **** the kid over and not grant him another year if he needs it just because the adult running the program is a dumb ****. All because he had a few garbage time carries.

If any guy on the team should have shirted it was Gray. Came in late, didn't have a real position yet, and probably just needed to adjust to college life more than others. ****** thing is the NCAA will **** the kid over and not grant him another year if he needs it just because the adult running the program is a dumb ****. All because he had a few garbage time carries.

The less amount of time that Gray is in the program the lesser the chance that he gets in trouble.

Great idea taking an incredible game-changing athlete like Gray and moving him to a position where he is a glorified OL.
So...Quad Hill was a glorified OL? I seem to remember that dude making more plays from the FB position in his career than that line of thought would suggest. He used to make a bunch of plays out of the backfield, catching the football.

My point is, even if he's 6'2/240 as some have reported he's approaching, and Quad was 6'2/228 (that's his last listed height/weight on the official site)...the body type seems similar enough to use him in a similar way, if Pricko Suave is smart enough to use him. Per the Canes official site--Hill had 41 receptions for a 10.5 average in his career. I think if we used Gray in a similar role, he could have more catches AND average a higher YPC, because he is a game-breaking athlete.

Not to mention, getting him on the field at the same time as guys like Yearby, Scarlett, Coley, Berrios, Dobard, etc...IF used correctly, creates some major mismatches with Gray on a LB out of the backfield. I'd rather give that a try than put him on D where his talents would definitely be squandered.

Advertisement
Back