Travis Homer and the Run Game (GIFs)

As for Duke vs Homer, Duke had and has better short burst, but Homer has better long speed to run away. There were times in Duke's career where he's beaten the whole D with great burst within the first 10 to 20 yards of a play, and then got tracked down from behind downfield. That doesn't happen to Homer nearly as often. Not dogging either guy - they just have different skill sets and running styles. Homer and Walton both had the best long speed since Miller. Lingard will likely be in that Miller mold of long speed...if he gets loose, he's gone.

Now...that being said, one thing that Homer doesn't do well at times is use his vision to find the backside when the D overpursues. Sometimes he is too much of a good soldier trying to stay behind his blocks that he doesn't see the cutback lane. Complete RBs have that creativity to make something when nothing is there. That, my friends, is where Dallas has the advantage over Homer. He's a natural at running to green and making the next guy miss, even if his blocking isn't perfect, and the initial play isn't there. There were times where Homer would just run into the back of our OL and take a carry for no gain. Dallas doesn't do that nearly as much...he will go to the cutback more quickly, and is just naturally elusive with the ball in his hands.

Advertisement
5X I’m with you on Deejay. He’s more consistently effective at finding the hole IMHO. I personally think he’s the more reliable option when you need the yards, and think he’s going to split reps and push Homer like crazy. Both can catch, too. We don’t have a Gurley or Fournette back there. But we’re in great shape at RB as a unit.

Watch Homer break out next year. One of the things we saw from Walton at the end of last season, and it was on complete display starting this season, was his vision. It was much improved, dare I say, elite. He also developed that jump cut, and learned to explode out of it.

I posted last season that if Walton had Yearby's vision and cut back ability, he would be the best back in the ACC and a top 4 in the nation, imo. His Junior Year, he was well on his way to becoming that, b/c he improved tremendously from years 1.5 to yr 3.

Homer has even more speed and ability. Freshman year, we saw the explosion, but he had the fumbling problem so he was stuck on the bench. This year, we saw explosion, no fumbles; BUT him finding the lanes, early on, was a bit of a mystery. As the season progressed, you saw him develop his vision a bit more. Year 3, I'll say it again, Homer will be the best back in the ACC and a top 5 in the nation if he stays healthy.

Why? Simple...Thomas Brown. T.B can recruit and he can develop running backs.

Resume Check:

2013: RB coach for Marshall. Essray Taliaferro (Actually my client's 1st cousin, lol.)
-Dude puts up 1140 yards in Browns first year as his position coach. BY FAR his best year.

2014: RB coach for Wisconsin. Melvin Gordon
-Melvin was already ascending as a player, but under Brown he completely destroyed Wisconsin records and fell just shy of breaking Barry Sanders single season rushing record.

2015: RB coach for UGA. Nick Chubb
-Before the gruesome knee injury, Nick was on his way to smoking every record UGA had. Dude went from avg. 7.1 to 8.1 ypc.

2015: RB coach for UGA. Sony Michel
-Comes right in off the bench and puts up 1140 in limited action.

2016: RB coach for Miami. Mark Walton
-Puts up 1100 first year under Brown

2017: RB coach for Miami. Mark Walton
-Walton goes from avg. 5.3 ypc to 7.3 ypc on his way to putting up some of his own rushing records for Miami (before the crazy ankle injury)

2017: RB coach for Miami. Travis Homer
-Comes right off the bench w limited in game playing experience at RB and puts up a shade under a 1000 in limited action on 6 ypc w/ 9 TDs.

Thomas Brown is one of our strongest position coaches in developing his unit. He can recruit, but his resume speaks for itself. I look for Homer to ascend even further, and Lingard and the rest of the crew are in good...naw f*** that, they are in GREAT hands w/ him being their position coach.

Watch Homer break out next year. One of the things we saw from Walton at the end of last season, and it was on complete display starting this season, was his vision. It was much improved, dare I say, elite. He also developed that jump cut, and learned to explode out of it.

I posted last season that if Walton had Yearby's vision and cut back ability, he would be the best back in the ACC and a top 4 in the nation, imo. His Junior Year, he was well on his way to becoming that, b/c he improved tremendously from years 1.5 to yr 3.

Homer has even more speed and ability. Freshman year, we saw the explosion, but he had the fumbling problem so he was stuck on the bench. This year, we saw explosion, no fumbles; BUT him finding the lanes, early on, was a bit of a mystery. As the season progressed, you saw him develop his vision a bit more. Year 3, I'll say it again, Homer will be the best back in the ACC and a top 5 in the nation if he stays healthy.

Resume Check:

2013: RB coach for Marshall. Essray Taliaferro (Actually my client's 1st cousin, lol.)
-Dude puts up 1140 yards in Browns first year as his position coach. BY FAR his best year.

-Melvin was already ascending as a player, but under Brown he completely destroyed Wisconsin records and fell just shy of breaking Barry Sanders single season rushing record.

-Before the gruesome knee injury, Nick was on his way to smoking every record UGA had. Dude went from avg. 7.1 to 8.1 ypc.

-Walton goes from avg. 5.3 ypc to 7.3 ypc on his way to putting up some of his own rushing records for Miami (before the crazy ankle injury)

-Comes right off the bench w limited in game playing experience at RB and puts up a shade under a 1000 in limited action on 6 ypc w/ 9 TDs.

Thomas Brown is one of our strongest position coaches in developing his unit. He can recruit, but his resume speaks for itself. I look for Homer to ascend even further, and Lingard and the rest of the crew are in good...naw f*** that, they are in GREAT hands w/ him being their position coach.
Yep, coach brown is great at what he does

Advertisement
You are nuts
Homer was 2nd team all ACC and played only 2/3 of the season. I'm excited about the young kids coming in but fans need to remember that Miami still has some pretty good players already on the team. I'm not sure what the terminology is but book mark or pin this:
"No one out plays Homer, and he rushes for 1200 yards"
And
"Cager starts every game and has 10 tds And 900 yards receiving"

Homer was 2nd team all ACC and played only 2/3 of the season. I'm excited about the young kids coming in but fans need to remember that Miami still has some pretty good players already on the team. I'm not sure what the terminology is but book mark or pin this:
And
I’m very high on homer, he’s a beast imo

I’m a huge fan kid was tough as nails, him and Walton would have killed folks last year. Like Walton also he was crazy good on special teams. The offense this year should be really fun to watch

Excellent post all around @ghost2! In that first clip the center and guard pull, and they actually looked good doing it! I knew Homer was going to be good when we got to see him run briefly in year one. He was fearless. A lot more rabbit than squirrel in his game, which I love. Then he went and led the team in special teams tackles. That confirmed his tough guy status, as you stated. Thanks again for the post.

Advertisement
We will miss Herndon for sure because he was probably the best overall tight end in terms of passing threat and blocking but Jordan is a manchild blocker as well who is very good in that aspect too. Only thing is he is just a freshman.
I think a guy like Bevin is fueled by this narrative that he will be a liability in the blocking game. He already has the size and now will work to put on more strength. He will get burn real early because of his maturity and how he goes about his business outside of his obvious talent.

And
Are you forgetting about Ahmon Richards? He will eat a lot of targets plus Thomas, Harley, and the freshmen. Cager could have a good year but there is too many mouths to feed at wide receiver, which is never a bad thing.

Are you forgetting about Ahmon Richards? He will eat a lot of targets plus Thomas, Harley, and the freshmen. Cager could have a good year but there is too many mouths to feed at wide receiver, which is never a bad thing.

Richards will be #1 target, I would think (if healthy) he has over 1000. Was meaning that Cager would be #2 behind Richards. If Cager puts it all together (and yes thats a big if) he could have a year like Mike Williams had at USC, he's just to **** big.

Advertisement

Resume Check:

Thomas Brown is great as a RB coach.

But guess what, he’s our Offensive Coordinator. He needs to do more than just have good backs.

Advertisement
He’s not calling plays, what the **** do you expect for him to do?

Maybe develop a better play set?
It’s been discussed repeatedly on this board, the lack of motion or any other form of creativity for the offense. ****, our signs were getting stolen last year.

He gets paid like an OC, and that’s his title. He needs to do more. Just my opinion.

Advertisement
Back