Travis Homer and the Run Game (GIFs)

Advertisement
Homer is a stud, love how physical he runs and his speed speaks for itself.

I recall Brian Kelly saying Homer hit the hole hardest of any back they had seen.

I thought Kelly said Homer was quickest through the hole, but I don't remember for sure.

I always liked Homer and thought we hadn't really suffered much from the loss of Walton. Kid seems to be durable, doesn't avoid contact and plays special teams.

I love Homer, no doubt...But 8-Ball was on another level lol. No GIF will make it comparable. Travis is solid and will have a solid year, 8 was special and deserves more respect than that.
Homer showed up in big time games, that matters tbh

Advertisement
I dont see why everyone is writing off Dallas as an impact player at RB next season. The kid has great vision and feel for the game along with very good size and strength with the ability to bounce of tacklers with ease. His performance in the later part of the season along with the Wisconsin game would indicate to me that he needs to see a lot of carries next season. I for one would not be shocked or upset to see him with 10-15 carries against LSU week one.

Not to mention. no one is saying anything about Cam Davis. who is also a stud in the backfield. we are loaded!!

Great post.

Homer is a really good back. What stands out to me is that he played best in the biggest games. He's not a guy who compiles stats against patsies. He can run against anybody.
. Maybe its just me but it sure sounds like you throwing shade at Walton lol

Advertisement
It applies to all the running backs we have had lately, duke included. Performing on a big stage matters and those guys had nfl lines in front of them too

Duke came up HUGE in some big time games for us. He had multiple big games against FSU, VT, GT, UNC.

I don't know why you use the OL excuse to bring down Duke. Mike James is an NFL RB, and behind the same OL James averaged 4.2 ypc while Duke averaged 6.8 ypc.

I do agree that Homer could be a bit faster than Duke. I think Homer is a mid 4.4 guy while Duke is more a low 4.5 guy. Both are really fast, and it's not a big difference, but Homer is a notch faster. Duke just had more shiftiness to break more long runs.

But homer is a beast, and I think he'll be the lead back again with 2 great RB's backing him up with Dallas & Lingard. It's gonna be fun to watch this year.

Watch Homer break out next year. One of the things we saw from Walton at the end of last season, and it was on complete display starting this season, was his vision. It was much improved, dare I say, elite. He also developed that jump cut, and learned to explode out of it.

I posted last season that if Walton had Yearby's vision and cut back ability, he would be the best back in the ACC and a top 4 in the nation, imo. His Junior Year, he was well on his way to becoming that, b/c he improved tremendously from years 1.5 to yr 3.

Homer has even more speed and ability. Freshman year, we saw the explosion, but he had the fumbling problem so he was stuck on the bench. This year, we saw explosion, no fumbles; BUT him finding the lanes, early on, was a bit of a mystery. As the season progressed, you saw him develop his vision a bit more. Year 3, I'll say it again, Homer will be the best back in the ACC and a top 5 in the nation if he stays healthy.

Why? Simple...Thomas Brown. T.B can recruit and he can develop running backs.

Resume Check:

2013: RB coach for Marshall. Essray Taliaferro (Actually my client's 1st cousin, lol.)
-Dude puts up 1140 yards in Browns first year as his position coach. BY FAR his best year.

2014: RB coach for Wisconsin. Melvin Gordon
-Melvin was already ascending as a player, but under Brown he completely destroyed Wisconsin records and fell just shy of breaking Barry Sanders single season rushing record.

2015: RB coach for UGA. Nick Chubb
-Before the gruesome knee injury, Nick was on his way to smoking every record UGA had. Dude went from avg. 7.1 to 8.1 ypc.

2015: RB coach for UGA. Sony Michel
-Comes right in off the bench and puts up 1140 in limited action.

2016: RB coach for Miami. Mark Walton
-Puts up 1100 first year under Brown

2017: RB coach for Miami. Mark Walton
-Walton goes from avg. 5.3 ypc to 7.3 ypc on his way to putting up some of his own rushing records for Miami (before the crazy ankle injury)

2017: RB coach for Miami. Travis Homer
-Comes right off the bench w limited in game playing experience at RB and puts up a shade under a 1000 in limited action on 6 ypc w/ 9 TDs.

Thomas Brown is one of our strongest position coaches in developing his unit. He can recruit, but his resume speaks for itself. I look for Homer to ascend even further, and Lingard and the rest of the crew are in good...naw f*** that, they are in GREAT hands w/ him being their position coach.

Agreed.. Remember everyone wanted him gone after we only got Burns lol

Advertisement
Duke came up HUGE in some big time games for us. He had multiple big games against FSU, VT, GT, UNC.

I don't know why you use the OL excuse to bring down Duke. Mike James is an NFL RB, and behind the same OL James averaged 4.2 ypc while Duke averaged 6.8 ypc.

I do agree that Homer could be a bit faster than Duke. I think Homer is a mid 4.4 guy while Duke is more a low 4.5 guy. Both are really fast, and it's not a big difference, but Homer is a notch faster. Duke just had more shiftiness to break more long runs.

But homer is a beast, and I think he'll be the lead back again with 2 great RB's backing him up with Dallas & Lingard. It's gonna be fun to watch this year.
It’s not an excuse, Any one looking at it objectively can see that it’s a clear difference in the quality of lineman duke played behind and homer for that matter. I love Duke just stating facts

It’s not an excuse, Any one looking at it objectively can see that it’s a clear difference in the quality of lineman duke played behind and homer for that matter. I love Duke just stating facts

There may be a difference, but the OL plays a MUCH smaller role. The gap between the level of talent in the RB's are a much bigger reason than the gap between the level of talent of the OL.

Portis, McGahee, Gore - they all played behind better OL's than Duke. All 4 put it big numbers because they were great RB's, not because of their OL's.

Yearby, Walton, Gus - they all put up average numbers because they were average RB's, not because of the OL. Homer comes in and puts up big numbers because he's a more talented RB, not because of the OL all of the sudden got better.

Blaming the OL is used as a crutch way too often.

There may be a difference, but the OL plays a MUCH smaller role. The gap between the level of talent in the RB's are a much bigger reason than the gap between the level of talent of the OL.

Portis, McGahee, Gore - they all played behind better OL's than Duke. All 4 put it big numbers because they were great RB's, not because of their OL's.

Yearby, Walton, Gus - they all put up average numbers because they were average RB's, not because of the OL. Homer comes in and puts up big numbers because he's a more talented RB, not because of the OL all of the sudden got better.

Blaming the OL is used as a crutch way too often.
Fair take

Advertisement
Why do ppl act surprised that Homer is talented?? His measurables are almost identical to Dalvin Cook, had a higher SPARQ rating than Cook, and was an ace special teamer out the gate.

Homer has elite level strength and speed... his vision is inconsistent but this is only his junior year, I believe he'll be running behind better blockers and he's going to be a year better than he was last season.

I expect him to be the starter the entire season.

I always get so confused when people say Homer was a surprise or under the radar. When I hear that stuff I'm like:
confused-dog-looking-around-derp-1352998842B.gif

All I can figure is that people who say that just came out of a coma. There can be no other explanation.

Kid was a highly rated recruit, with great measurables, who has balled at everything he's been asked to do since the moment he stepped foot on campus.

He's what the kids these days might call "Gucci", if I understand the term correctly. I personally just think of him as a really really good and fun football player to root for.

Homer is a stud, love how physical he runs and his speed speaks for itself.

I recall Brian Kelly saying Homer hit the hole hardest of any back they had seen.

Brian Kelly said a lot of things. Dude was like a 23 month survivor from a taliban kidnapping ring by the end of that game. He was so shell shocked by the end of that night, I bet he would have thrown up the U while ****ing on a leprechaun if someone had merely suggested it.

Not saying the above is not true, just saying how beautiful that experience was. As someone else put it, we took their souls that night. Hot ****... IT'S GREAT. TO BE. A MIAMI HURRICANE!!!!!!

Good post.

I expect great things from our running game this year for a variety of reasons. I expect Homer to continue to refine his game this off season but he will have other teammates making him better as well.

DeeJay Dallas will be a significant part of the offense. After playing his true freshman year and having one year under his belt, Dallas will come into 2018 poised for a breakout year. Dallas will be an electrifying complement to Homer with his ability to make big plays from multiple positions including QB and WR and playing at 210-215 will add an element of power to his game not to mention an increase in durability. Dallas has the rare ability to make himself a very difficult target for defenders. He displayed the ability to run in such a way that makes it very hard for anyone to get a good clean shot at him. Tough for me to articulate it but you guys know what I mean.

Then you have Lingard who has off the charts natural ability and was considered one of the top 3 backs in the nation as a HS senior. Being an EE virtually ensures him a spot in the rotation barring injury.

To me however, the key to the running game in 2018 will be the improvement of the OL. I think we are going to see this unit begin to transform into the type of OL that Richt envisioned being able to anchor his power zone running game. Look for Donaldson, Gaynor, and Gauthier to take the next step and for the continued improvement of St Louis. A redshirt freshman Hebert will bring the athleticism we have been missing from the LT position. True freshmen Scaife and Reed could see immediate playing time.

Disagree. I love the way Homer hits the hole but I think Duke had perhaps the best short burst of any RB we've had at UM. Duke had elite acceleration.

Edit: sifting through Duke Johnson videos forced me to relive just how God-awful our uniforms really were...

Duke is one of the only guys I've seen who's acceleration is noticeably faster than anyone else on the field. If his top end was just a tick faster he'd have had many more TDs and all the yards.

Advertisement
Back