Travis homer 2018 expectations

The last three seasons we've ranked 101st, 118th, and 79th in rushing yards per game. The difference last season was Rosier's 480 yards rushing. Take those away and we're right back around 115th.

I will agree, though, that as the season wore on, he seemed to get a little worse at reading the end on that ZR Richt likes to call. I don't know if it was frustration, or if the defenses figured out a way to fool him into keeping the ball, but I'm sure our coaches know what it was and will have it corrected by September.
Imagine thinking that rushing yards per game means anything in how well a team can run the ball...... of course our ranking was lower because we didn’t run the ball like some other teams on the list did in terms of attempts which obviously means less rushing yards. A better indicator is the yards per carry a team had because like I said Some teams pass more than other which obviously would result in that team have less rushing yards

We averaged 4.7 ypc last year in 2017 and only averaged 4.0 in 2016.

-Our starting back averaged 5.9 ypc(really good for rb who didn’t have much experience on the college level).
-Walton averaged 7.6 ypc when he was playing
- deejay Dallas averaged 5.3 ypc
College Football Stats - College FB Team Yards per Rush Attempt on TeamRankings.com

Last edited:
Advertisement
Imagine thinking that rushing yards per game means anything in how well a team ran the ball...... of course our ranking was lower because we didn’t run the ball like some other teams on the list did in terms of attempts which obviously means less rushing yards. A better indicator is the yards per carry a team had because like I said Some teams pass more than other which obviously would result in that team have less rushing yards
Yards per carry is meaningless. Nobody gives a **** if on 3rd and 14 you can consistently run 9 yards so your punter has a little more room to operate or your coach is smart enough to play the field position game properly. Yards per carry is irrelevant here because we have exceptional running backs that can break off a 60 yarder any time they get a lane, but only get about one of those per game on average.

We had fewer attempts running the ball because Mark Richt is smarter than you. He knows what our team can't do, and that's consistently count on our run game to get 3 yards. Ever wonder why he called so many bubble screens? Because we can't run the ball. He has to some how get our offense to 2nd and 4 to 7 to give us options on 2nd and 3rd downs. Mark Richt trusts Malik Rosier to get us 4 yards on first down more than he does Travis Homer or DeeJay Dallas.

Think about how bad Rosier is. Now realize that Mark Richt trusts our run game less. At least with Malik we had a 50% chance of success.

Yards per carry is meaningless. Nobody gives a **** if on 3rd and 14 you can consistently run 9 yards so your punter has a little more room to operate or your coach is smart enough to play the field position game properly. Yards per carry is irrelevant here because we have exceptional running backs that can break off a 60 yarder any time they get a lane, but only get about one of those per game on average.

We had fewer attempts running the ball because Mark Richt is smarter than you. He knows what our team can't do, and that's consistently count on our run game to get 3 yards. Ever wonder why he called so many bubble screens? Because we can't run the ball. He has to some how get our offense to 2nd and 4 to 7 to give us options on 2nd and 3rd downs. Mark Richt trusts Malik Rosier to get us 4 yards on first down more than he does Travis Homer or DeeJay Dallas.

Think about how bad Rosier is. Now realize that Mark Richt trusts our run game less. At least with Malik we had a 50% chance of success.
It’s not meaningless and stats show that we were generally good running the ball on 1st and 2nd, we just struggled a ton or 3rd and short yardage

It’s not meaningless and stats show that we were generally good running the ball on 1st and 2nd, we just struggled a ton or 3rd and short yardage
Averages...stats that show averages...

Let me demonstrate the problem with averages.
The game against VaTech, Homer had 14 runs for 95 yards--about 7 ypc.

What that stat doesn't show it that 64 of those yards were on one run and the rest of the day he averaged 2 yards per carry.

That goes for the rest of the team. Yes. as a team we rushed for 210 yards and 6.2 yards per carry. But 119 of that was 3 plays. Take those three away and the rest of the game we ran the ball 31 times for 91 yards.

There is no consistency in our run game and the most profound evidence for that is that Mark Richt, the guy who earned his name with the power run game at UGA, will have Malik Rosier and his 54% *** throw a bubble screen before he'll call a run on 1st and 10.

Averages...stats that show averages...

Let me demonstrate the problem with averages.
The game against VaTech, Homer had 14 runs for 95 yards--about 7 ypc.

What that stat doesn't show it that 64 of those yards were on one run and the rest of the day he averaged 2 yards per carry.

That goes for the rest of the team. Yes. as a team we rushed for 210 yards and 6.2 yards per carry. But 119 of that was 3 plays. Take those three away and the rest of the game we ran the ball 31 times for 91 yards.

There is no consistency in our run game and the most profound evidence for that is that Mark Richt, the guy who earned his name with the power run game at UGA, will have Malik Rosier and his 54% *** throw a bubble screen before he'll call a run on 1st and 10.
You can’t take those plays away, it happened and that’s not how this works

Advertisement
You can’t take those plays away, it happened and that’s not how this works
I’m not taking those plays away. I’m demonstrating how average does not equal consistent. We are a 2 yard per carry team that will occasionally break a long run. That’s not good enough to have us in 2nd or 3rd downs with favorable distances to gain, and why Richt doesn’t call as many run plays.

Your own logic runs into a dead end right there. You say we had a good rushing average and that means we’re a good running team, but we just don’t run the ball that much.

Okay. Then Richt is a moran and should be flipping burgers for having a back up third baseman attempt 45 passes per game when we have a perfectly good run game.

We don’t run the ball with any consistency, and therefore cannot count on the run game to be a consistent part of the offense.

This will change. We will run the ball more when we run it better. Ideally, you like to cap Rosier at around 25-30 passes per game.

2,000 yards rushing, 20 TDs
1,000 yards receiving, 5 TDs
5 KOR for TDs
8 PR TDs
6 turnover chains after forcing and recovering fumbles on returns of Rosier INTs

Finishes 4th in Heisman voting, behind ****ty SEC, Big 10, and Big 10 QBs

Advertisement
I think that Homer will have a great season, but I can't see him getting near rushing 1,400 yards, not because he isn't capable, but because I believe we will be a "RB by committee" type of team.

Deejay will be a legit #2 RB, which means his carries are guaranteed to go up from last year. Also, Lingard will get a few snaps as well.

Homer will kill it this year, but there's simply not enough snaps for him to achieve such a lofty goal, imo.

I agree for the same reason

Field turf at HRS would help maximize our speed advantage. If we're going to play in muddy slop during 50% of our home games then we should take on a more ground & pound approach.

Advertisement
The last three seasons we've ranked 101st, 118th, and 79th in rushing yards per game. The difference last season was Rosier's 480 yards rushing. Take those away and we're right back around 115th.

I will agree, though, that as the season wore on, he seemed to get a little worse at reading the end on that ZR Richt likes to call. I don't know if it was frustration, or if the defenses figured out a way to fool him into keeping the ball, but I'm sure our coaches know what it was and will have it corrected by September.

Scary numbers.

Well according to USAToday Cam Akers is one of the top RB's who will be running over everyone they play :stormwarningflag-sm:

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back