Transfer Portal watch

To whether his strategy makes sense, like you said, they weren’t good the last two years (hot seat at least warm), he gets them to 10 wins, can’t go head to head in high school big time, why not roll the dice for the portal to make a run?

It may be his job on the line with people literally calling for Deion…
Look I don't if it's a long term winning strategy for them or not. They had a good season that's undeniable. We will see next season what's real about them. I suspect they will still be competitive. We shall see.

My point in this thread is simply this...

If you are praising the strategy fsu has used for the results they are having in year three...given what they have looked like the last two years.
(nothing wrong with that btw)
You are by definition in the "Mario needs more time and shouldn't be judged until year three camp" (That’s not me btw)
Regardless if they realize it or not...that's the argument they are making.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Look I don't if it's a long term winning strategy for them or not. They had a good season that's undeniable. We will see next season what's real about them. I suspect they will still be competitive. We shall see.

My point in this thread is simply this...

If you are praising the strategy fsu has used for the results they are having in year three...given what they have looked like the last two years.
(nothing wrong with that btw)
You are by definition in the "Mario needs more time and shouldn't be judged until year three camp" (That’s not me btw)
Regardless if they realize it or not...that's the argument they are making.

I don’t think an opinion on THIS offseason’s decision by FSU needs to be tied to evaluating Mario’s season.

IMO:
- Mario failed on the field in 2022
- Mario killed it in recruiting for ESD
- Mario is too slow to acquire talent from the portal - specifically given the roster and blaming the talent in 2022
- Mario is too slow to make staff evaluations and/or adapting
- Norvell going hard at the portal to go all in for 2023 is worth it given his success in the portal and lack thereof with HS recruiting

People are fine to have other opinions.

I don’t think an opinion on THIS offseason’s decision by FSU needs to be tied to evaluating Mario’s season.

IMO:
- Mario is too slow to acquire talent from the portal - specifically given the roster and blaming the talent in 2022
- Norvell going hard at the portal to go all in for 2023 is worth it given his success in the portal and lack thereof with HS recruiting

Would you agree that the vast majority of impact transfer portal players know exactly where they are going before entering the portal? There are a few exceptions, but the back channeling occurs in advance of the entry. Perhaps, Mario prefers to focus the majority of his attention on high school players and not portal additions.

I get it that it need not be mutually exclusive and that we should be able to recruit high school kids and Portal entrants equally. My question is do we have sufficient resources to do both well. Having one person dedicated solely to evaluating Portal talent seems insufficient. Also, the key is not evaluating talent once they enter the Portal, but initiating conversation with likely Portal entrants before they officially declare their intentions.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Im not gonna read all of your post because ive already seen your like Dabo Swinney when it comes to the portal, im just stopping after the 2nd paragraph.

1.) Lane Kiffin and Riley can recruit, and have successful offenses. They will forever get guys in portal.
2.) FSU is a nice portal destination for a grad transfer(tally) and Norvell can point to his successes in the transfer portal for multiple years.

More colleges devoting more resources into it has no bearing considering what stopped them before in the first place. Only school was Clemson because Dabo didnt feel he had much holes or the need to be there.

Miami,FSU, UF will always be good portal destinations for top kids...as should. There will be FLORIDA kids who want to play back near to home or kids from out of state who want a step up in comp or parralel transfer for reps who would love to live in florida for a year.
FE724CCF-016D-4CED-8A9C-060A6E3AED93.jpeg.jpg

You're welcome

Would you agree that the vast majority of impact transfer portal players know exactly where they are going before entering the portal? There are a few exceptions, but the back channeling occurs in advance of the entry. Perhaps, Mario prefers to focus the majority of his attention on high school players and not portal additions.

I get it that it need not be mutually exclusive and that we should be able to recruit high school kids and Portal entrants equally well. My question is do we have sufficient resources to do both well. Having one person dedicated to evaluating Portal talent seems insufficient. Also, the key is not evaluating talent once they enter the Portal, but initiating conversation with likely Portal entrants before they officially declare their intentions.

In terms of resources, we have MSU guy and Alonzo and hired a bunch of coaches and analysts last offseason, but I’m not sure what they all do…

We had no bowl game and had the majority of our ESD recruits in the boat pre-ESD so I’m not sure on the staff’s availability to portal.

Gattis n the lack of portal talent will sink us in 23. Hopefully by 24 Gattis is gone n Mario's recruits talent starts making a different.

Gattis is a horrible fit and we have ZERO urgency in portal. History seems to be repeating itself. Nothing u slurpers can say will change my mind. When we're 4-4 n you hear "we need to get to work" don't say u couldn't see it coming. As of right now hoping for the Gasparilla Bowl vs Tulsa, aka the battle of the hurricanes.

IMO:

Cristobal killed it on NSD in 2022 too - he absolutely rescued that class from being programme crushingly bad.

Advertisement
Is there a current roster/depth chart available that I missed so we can see how the roster looks?

Perhaps that would help explain some posters reactions…

IMO:

People are fine to have other opinions

I'm not in disagreement with those points. We don't seem to be too far apart. I'm waiting for the final result in regards to the staff to pass judgment but like I'm sure the majority of people I am alarmed nothing has happened yet. Everything else I can agree right now.
Maybe I'm not explaining myself well.
Last time I promise lol...my point

You can't ignore the coaching failures from fsu in year one. Ignore the coaching failures year two. Praise them for the success in year three and the strategy that has brought that success after three years...while at the same time not give Mario the same courtesy. People are not just praising fsu for a strategy that they implemented this year...no they are praising fsu for the results that strategy has produced after three years. I find that funny.

Reguardles thats not my point of view.

I'm not praising Prison Mike for his strategy and I am judging Mario on his results.

Cristobal killed it on NSD in 2022 too - he absolutely rescued that class from being programme crushingly bad.

Yes. He crushed it in a short period of time. In that same time frame he failed to secure a WR, appropriately evaluate how bad our OL was and put together a staff that he thought was Voltron but was actually the Island of Misfit Toys…

Yes. He crushed it in a short period of time. In that same time frame he failed to secure a WR, appropriately evaluate how bad our OL was and put together a staff that he thought was Voltron but was actually the Island of Misfit Toys…
Ah, I see - you're one of those people who'd complain whilst getting a ******* from Salma Hayek.

I gotcha.

Advertisement
Ah, I see - you're one of those people who'd complain whilst getting a ******* from Salma Hayek.

I gotcha.

No. But I’m not giving Mario a pass after that debacle of a season and the way it played out. Other first year coaches, at lesser programs, did much better.

I hope he flips the scoreboard, starting soon with portal acquisition and staff changes and is extremely successful.

I’d much rather it be a month from now and I’m saying: locked down Cormani, added a WR1, 2 quality DTs and depth better than we lost; grabbed a few closers at signing day & brought in an exciting OC.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back