Transfer Portal watch

Advertisement
I agree but I’m also being realistic here. We need three bodies at DT. I don’t think we land 3 difference makers, as it’s hard enough to land three at DT as it is, hence my thinking here.
He would be DT#2 running out of chances for an actual impact guy.

Zero urgency. I have a feeling I'll be watching other programs play come August

Come On Please GIF by NBA

Advertisement
He would be DT#2 running out of chances for an actual impact guy.
I know Gore is a DT but I’m not counting on him as part of the 3. Reality is that neither Gore or this guy would scare off an impact guy or 2. We only have 2 guys that have played meaningful snaps at the position at this point.

Nice rant. A decision to put NIL resources into keeping current players from leaving and hitting the portal vs allotting more toward high school in an attempt to make a 2023 run is indeed a strategic decision aka a strategy.

That strategy is a build on 2022 for 2023 with the hopes it wins big and carries into 2024. It may fail wonderfully, but we don’t know that yet. I don’t care if they gamble and have 1 year or two year or 6 year guys. The plan is their plan. **** em if it fails. **** FSU either way.
"A decision to put NIL resources into keeping current players from leaving and hitting the portal vs allotting more toward high school"

Apologies if I am misunderstanding you here...but are you suggesting that the semenholes lackluster HS recruiting is on purpose?

Advertisement
"A decision to put NIL resources into keeping current players from leaving and hitting the portal vs allotting more toward high school"

Apologies if I am misunderstanding you here...but are you suggesting that the semenholes lackluster HS recruiting is on purpose?

I am not even sure what their class rank for high school recruiting is, and I don’t think they specifically tanked their class - I mean they took 3 dudes we wanted. Just repeating what I heard about their NIL approach. In terms of allocating NIL resources they are said to be leaning more heavily into using it toward keeping their current players from leaving and through portal acquisitions this year rather than using it heavily on the high school side - specifically to make a run in 2023. They may also realize that they are more likely to have success that route than the high school route. It could be all excuses for a class lesser than Billy and Mario. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Advertisement
I am not even sure what their class rank for high school recruiting is, and I don’t think they specifically tanked their class - I mean they took 3 dudes we wanted. Just repeating what I heard about their NIL approach. In terms of allocating NIL resources they are said to be leaning more heavily into using it toward keeping their current players from leaving and through portal acquisitions this year rather than using it heavily on the high school side - specifically to make a run in 2023. They may also realize that they are more likely to have success that route than the high school route. It could be all excuses for a class lesser than Billy and Mario. 🤷🏻‍♂️
"I mean they took 3 dudes we wanted"

That's not a route I would recommend any semenhole to go down on......we essentially took an entire class the semenholes wanted.

As far as that strategy goes it seems to me that it's clearly what they have to do because HS is lacking. Good on them for recognizing it and doing what the have to do. Regardless seems clear it's by necessity and not choice.

Exactly. Where was the Great Portal Strategy in his first few years at F$U?

The fact remains, there were a few schools that went HARDCORE to the Portal last year, particularly with Quantity (including USC). There was a lot of uncertaintly last year on the suspension of the IC rules (which happened late) and some more this year (the Portal official visits having to be commingled with HS official visits).

But now that more colleges are devoting more resources to scouting and signing Portal kids, why does anyone think that Kiffin and Norvell and Riley will maintain some sort of dominant position in this regard? Maybe they can, but maybe they won't.

I give Ole Miss and F$U and USC credit for being early innovators, but I'm not giving them the Top 3 Portal classes every year by virtue of that early success. Now that there is a lot more acceptance of the Portal and competition for commits, the "success stories" will be spread more thin. When you sign 14 (F$U) or 17 (Ole Miss) or 20 (USC) from the Portal, it is easier to hit "success" in spite of whatever misses you have. And the REASON that those schools had so many slots was because of PAST FAILURES.

Soooo...it becomes a bit of an ouroboros. If the best Portal classes tend to be the biggest...yet you need a lot of available slots to get a big transfer class (at least for now, when the IC slots are suspended)...then you either need a lot of "failure" in your other areas of recruiting...or you need a lot of "success" with the Portal transfers, in that they move on to the NFL draft.

Either way, it's not like you are signing all your HS kids for 5 years and all your Portal kids for 4 years. There is some level of one-and-done that may not result in an equal level of Portal success each year, particularly when there is not nearly the same time frame to scout, build relationships, and recruit kids out of the Portal as there is with HS kids.

So, yeah, plenty of valid questions as to whether what Norvell does is going to be repeatable on an annual basis. Which, of course, has NOTHING to do with what Mario is doing specifically, it has everything to do with the general concept of trying to build ANY kind of a team with continuity and sustainability.
Im not gonna read all of your post because ive already seen your like Dabo Swinney when it comes to the portal, im just stopping after the 2nd paragraph.

1.) Lane Kiffin and Riley can recruit, and have successful offenses. They will forever get guys in portal.
2.) FSU is a nice portal destination for a grad transfer(tally) and Norvell can point to his successes in the transfer portal for multiple years.

More colleges devoting more resources into it has no bearing considering what stopped them before in the first place. Only school was Clemson because Dabo didnt feel he had much holes or the need to be there.

Miami,FSU, UF will always be good portal destinations for top kids...as should. There will be FLORIDA kids who want to play back near to home or kids from out of state who want a step up in comp or parralel transfer for reps who would love to live in florida for a year.

Advertisement
"I mean they took 3 dudes we wanted"

That's not a route I would recommend any semenhole to go down on......we essentially took an entire class the semenholes wanted.

As far as that strategy goes it seems to me that it's clearly what they have to do because HS is lacking. Good on them for recognizing it and doing what the have to do. Regardless seems clear it's by necessity and not choice.

They make their move. We make ours. Either way we need to not win 5 games to their 10 and get beat by 40 on our home turf.

Not you, but I believe if this discussion was about a team other than FSU, UF or Lane, posters would be able to have a more rational discussion about recruiting “strategy”.

They make their move. We make ours. Either way we need to not win 5 games to their 10 and get beat by 40 on our home turf.

Not you, but I believe if this discussion was about a team other than FSU, UF or Lane, posters would be able to have a more rational discussion about recruiting “strategy”.
"Either way we need to not win 5 games to their 10 and get beat by 40 on our home turf"

We can agree on that.

"Either way we need to not win 5 games to their 10 and get beat by 40 on our home turf"

We can agree on that.

To whether his strategy makes sense, like you said, they weren’t good the last two years (hot seat at least warm), he gets them to 10 wins, can’t go head to head in high school big time, why not roll the dice for the portal to make a run?

It may be his job on the line with people literally calling for Deion…

Advertisement
Back