Transfer Portal watch

Advertisement
Yep. Travis is the key. If he gets hurt or once he leaves they're toast as a program. The qb recruiting continues to be garbage so w/o Travis they're a 6 or 7 win team at best. Norvell will never be an elite recruiter. He knows it so he has to go all in for this year via portal and hope they go NY6 or playoff appearance and it nets them a top 10ish class.
Can’t they just get a portal qb when Travis leaves?

FSU's doing a helluva job in the portal..again. Last year 'conventional wisdom' was that they sucked. Now 'conventional wisdom' is that what they're doing isn't sustainable. Goal post moving? Appears to me that Norvell is enjoying success, and re-building the brand. With limited resources.
What if re-building the brand makes FSU more attractive to HS recruits?
Sincerely think we need to throw out this idea of there being a particular formula for success - as in Mario has it and FSU doesn't. NIL and the portal are relatively new frontiers. Just 'what if' Mario recruits great (evident) but gets poached while building with youth (losing)?
I really hope this isn't the case, but strongly feel a lot of the 'conventional wisdom' perpetuated around here should be up for review.
Its the spin cycle bro. All UM boards specialize in that. Incapable of admitting another team made a good move.

If this guy wouldve came to UM, you bet nobody here would've talked crap about it.

give props where it’s due. Mikey has acquired the talent to at least give them a chance to win the ACC next year. I was in the not sustainable camp but not anymore. Expect fsu to pull top level guys in the very fruitful portal each year. They aren’t going to suck again with Norvell.

It’s been said his strategy is to attack the portal hard for a 2023 title run and that’s how they are focusing their NIL…

Seems like a smart move for them

Advertisement
Both Cohen and Francisco maigua were in the works for months. Last year it was Miami that got Mims to jump into the portal.

Miami knows how to back channel. Let **** play out. Games aren’t played tomorrow. Plenty of time to fill holes.
Two exceptions doesnt make me feel warm and fuzzy about our overall portal strategy. I guess more than anything, I’m questioning the guy we brought in to be the portal czar. Isn’t constantly backdoor channeling his entire job, lol? Why does it seem we are caught off guard with many of the kids announcing for the portal?

When a kid enters a portal, I have heard way too often “that’s someone we will be looking at/that’s someone we‘ll have interest in”. (That‘s future tense).
If this portal czar doing his job, shouldn‘t we be able to say “yep, he’s not interested or we are firmly in the mix?” That would suggest portal czar is keeping up to date with these kids.

Yep. Travis is the key. If he gets hurt or once he leaves they're toast as a program. The qb recruiting continues to be garbage so w/o Travis they're a 6 or 7 win team at best. Norvell will never be an elite recruiter. He knows it so he has to go all in for this year via portal and hope they go NY6 or playoff appearance and it nets them a top 10ish class.

They are sniffing the top 10 right now…

Doubled our win total on the year and bent us over on the field…

Our portal game is pretty slow, especially with Zo, the MSU dude and roster needs.

Advertisement

Our portal game is pretty slow, especially with Zo, the MSU dude and roster needs.
Well, I'm quite aware of where they stand vs where we stand. I still don't see them as a long term threat at this point as Travis has played out of his mind and they don't have an heir apparent. And as far as the portal goes, the speed of its utilization is irrelevant to me but it's fair to say the strategy they've been using is working for them thus far. I cant be mad that we've gotten 3 portal starters too.

Hey - I heard a rumor we got a long snapper today from the portal, and he came from MSU? Kinda weird.

The amount of starting QBs this year from the ACC alone says otherwise… if Travis left they could have grabbed Hartman …
How so when it seemed predetermined he was going to ND. Sounds like people acting scared Fsu gonna somehow build a Bama from the portal.

Advertisement
Well, I'm quite aware of where they stand vs where we stand. I still don't see them as a long term threat at this point as Travis has played out of his mind and they don't have an heir apparent. And as far as the portal goes, the speed of its utilization is irrelevant to me but it's fair to say the strategy they've been using is working for them thus far. I cant be mad that we've gotten 3 portal starters too.

It’s the net roster at the end of the day that matters but for ****’s sake quality players are ending up elsewhere while we have a lot of holes to fill

It’s the net roster at the end of the day that matters but for ****’s sake quality players are ending up elsewhere while we have a lot of holes to fill
Well other teams have needs too and nobody is gonna bat 1000 in the portal or high school ranks. The only big miss was Adeleye since he would've been a direct replacement for Jackson.

Advertisement
How so when it seemed predetermined he was going to ND. Sounds like people acting scared Fsu gonna somehow build a Bama from the portal.

People are simply giving credit where credit is due and others are getting bent out of shape because it is FSU. They are choosing portal vs high school and right now it is working for them. It’s sustainability can’t be determined for years.

Well other teams have needs too and nobody is gonna bat 1000 in the portal or high school ranks. The only big miss was Adeleye since he would've been a direct replacement for Jackson.

Other teams have HS needs too Miami prioritizes not being beat out by many in that arena. In 2023 CF, there are multiple ways to build a roster, and teams doing pretty well this year have used the portal.

Advertisement
Back