Transfer Portal watch

People are simply giving credit where credit is due and others are getting bent out of shape because it is FSU. They are choosing portal vs high school and right now it is working for them. It’s sustainability can’t be determined for years.
A lot remains to be seen no doubt. My opinion is the qb is the key to it all. Travis playing so well has boosted them immensely and I don't believe they'll be a 10 win type team again without him. Anyone has a right to disagree but I'll stand by my position.

Advertisement
A lot remains to be seen no doubt. My opinion is the qb is the key to it all. Travis playing so well has boosted them immensely and I don't believe they'll be a 10 win type team again without him. Anyone has a right to disagree but I'll stand by my position.

He was a portal acquisition that was developed when they needed to flip the roster and culture….

Another team in a similar situation is simply too slow for some of us, after a completely wasted season…where the talent and players were blamed…

Other teams have HS needs too Miami prioritizes not being beat out by many in that arena. In 2023 CF, there are multiple ways to build a roster, and teams doing pretty well this year have used the portal.
Fair enough. And long ways to go on portal acquisition front. I don't think our staff is just sitting around twiddling it's thumbs while everyone else is outworking us somehow. But what's clear is we need to adjust our portal approach a bit.

Fair enough. And long ways to go on portal acquisition front. I don't think our staff is just sitting around twiddling it's thumbs while everyone else is outworking us somehow. But what's clear is we need to adjust our portal approach a bit.

All good man. To your point, if Travis gets nicked up next year, they’ll have to severely adjust. We need to close strong and flip the roster and get rolling on the field.

Advertisement
He was a portal acquisition that was developed when they needed to flip the roster and culture….

Another team in a similar situation is simply too slow for some of us, after a completely wasted season…where the talent and players were blamed…
Oh he's been developing there for what like 4+ years at this point ? But sure big W for them albeit it matriculated over an eternity. And I'm sorry but this tired back and forth narrative of coaches vs talent needs to end. BOTH the coaching & players on the field were poor. It doesn't have to be either or. Game planning, alignments, fundamentals, and overall schemes were poor..........but nobody executed basic assignments consistently, constant blown coverages, missed tackles, dropping easy passes, and clear quitting are on the players. All the aforementioned combined is how you go 5-7

Yeah, seems like Norvell has adopted mainly building his teams out of portal players.
Perhaps that will be the way that teams should be built going forward. Expensive in the NIL era, and the more it’s done the harder it will be to recruit quality high school players, but still.

give props where it’s due. Mikey has acquired the talent to at least give them a chance to win the ACC next year. I was in the not sustainable camp but not anymore. Expect fsu to pull top level guys in the very fruitful portal each year. They aren’t going to suck again with Norvell.
One quarterback injury though.

Yep. Travis is the key. If he gets hurt or once he leaves they're toast as a program. The qb recruiting continues to be garbage so w/o Travis they're a 6 or 7 win team at best. Norvell will never be an elite recruiter. He knows it so he has to go all in for this year via portal and hope they go NY6 or playoff appearance and it nets them a top 10ish class.
The qb recruiting could remain garbage.......because where did they get Travis from in the first place?.

Its wishful thinking on our fan parts...FSU will forever get good to solid portasl transfers...they are big on it...and it aint a hard sell...Inf act it shouldnt be a hard sell for any of the big 4 to get kids in the portal...well unless your Miami trying to get good to elite wrs.

Advertisement
How so when it seemed predetermined he was going to ND. Sounds like people acting scared Fsu gonna somehow build a Bama from the portal.
That's an exaggeration, lacking sincerity. What they are is far from the laughing stock CIS would have us to believe just a year ago.

As impactful as Travis has been ? Highly doubtful
I mean, have you seen the caliber of quarterbacks that have left the last two years? I don’t know if it is sustainable or not but it seems like there are two clear advantages - 1) guys are more developed when they get to you and 2) you’re weeding out guys who bust out earlier. The flip side is you’re relying on the right people to hit every year, get them, have them learn the playbook and culture. It will be interesting to see things evolve over time.

Advertisement
The qb recruiting could remain garbage.......because where did they get Travis from in the first place?.

Its wishful thinking on our fan parts...FSU will forever get good to solid portasl transfers...they are big on it...and it aint a hard sell...Inf act it shouldnt be a hard sell for any of the big 4 to get kids in the portal...well unless your Miami trying to get good to elite wrs.
Well then we'll see if they can find a qb upgrade in the portal once he's gone. I'm betting they don't. They can become portal U from a collective place but if they don't hit on the next qb they'll fall backwards considerably.

Advertisement
Well then we'll see if they can find a qb upgrade in the portal once he's gone. I'm betting they don't. They can become portal U from a collective place but if they don't hit on the next qb they'll fall backwards considerably.
They landed a qb in recruiting.

I mean its all hope that they dont hit in the portal from our fans...they play the portal better than anyone at this point and are on guys even before they hit or right when they hit their name is first up to bat.

There will always be solid qbs looking to play in good offenses in the portal and especially with the way they play the portal they will land one.

I mean its all hope that they dont hit in the portal from our fans...they play the portal better than anyone at this point and are on guys even before they hit or right when they hit their name is first up to bat.

There will always be solid qbs looking to play in good offenses in the portal and especially with the way they play the portal they will land one.

You're giving them way too much credit. Tiny sample size thus far and how soon we forget about McKenize Milton.

Last edited:

Duffy was from their last class. I'm not saying they wouldn't land any qb at all from the portal, but what are the odds they land someone equivalent to what Travis did this season ? Im saying those odds are slim. But we'll see how it plays out cuz one or two bad evals in the portal on their end or the injury bug biting hard and they're screwed considering the high school recruiting which makes up their depth is thin.

Duffy was from their last class. I'm not saying they wouldn't land any qb at all from the portal, but what are the odds they land someone equivalent to what Travis did this season ? Im saying those odds are slim. But we'll see how it plays out cuz one or two bad evals in the portal on their end or the injury bug biting hard and they're screwed considering the high school recruiting which makes up their depth is thin.
Injury bug is important for every team though not just them. Is Kirby thought of as he is today if Bama didn't have both Wr get hurt and if OSU doesn't have an injury last night?

Advertisement
Back