Transfer Portal watch

We're off to a good start on d line at least lately: Kelly, Liechtenstein, and Moss.
Can’t expect Kelly or Moss to contribute right away. They very well May but not a recipe for success. We need one more DE from the portal. We are paper thin there with only 3 legit bodies that aren’t true freshman. Think Shemar is big enough to make a mark as a TF though. The other two need time, they could rush the passer but no way they are setting the edge.

Advertisement
If we are using three safeties at all times, who are our backup safeties?
Balom and Gil because Gil moves back to safety and that’s if they don’t want to use a bigger CB instead of a safety. For all we know the depth chart a Nickel could be a combo of both positions.

I don’t know him at at all. He’s not a safety he’s a hybrid player. Georgia didn’t have him roaming the back. He was a slot player and all I see is one guy on the roster who played the spot last year and he wasn’t really good doing it. Maybe that’s all Manny and a better coach gets more out of Frierson. Just not all about a guy who entered his money year with bad weight and got worse in his 4th year.

As far as Brini any player playing that spot with 8 PBUs in a season on the roster? At a minimum he’s around the ball. No one is gonna say Frierson is a space player or understands how to play in coverage. If he isn’t moving forward he’s toast. Brini is certainly gonna be better coached than anybody on the roster at that position.
Brini had 12 total tackles in his career before this year. Where was he better coached at the spot ...on the bench? cause thats where he was.

You only see 1 guy on our roster that can play as a hybrid player?. I mean i can see Keyshawn Washington, James Williams, Keontra Smith, Chase Smith, and Jalen Herrell that possibly can be used in that form. I much rather see what one of those guys like Washington Harrell can do there as young players ALONG with Frierson before i went with Brini. If Frierson transferred out then i wouldve looked at Brini imo.

Brini had 12 total tackles in his career before this year. Where was he better coached at the spot ...on the bench? cause thats where he was.

You only see 1 guy on our roster that can play as a hybrid player?. I mean i can see Keyshawn Washington, James Williams, Keontra Smith, Chase Smith, and Jalen Herrell that possibly can be used in that form. I much rather see what one of those guys like Washington Harrell can do there as young players ALONG with Frierson before i went with Brini. If Frierson transferred out then i wouldve looked at Brini imo.
He only played this year because somebody got hurt.

If we play a striker, we are incredibly thin. It’s Frierson and nobody if we move Chase to LB. If we move JW to striker, we have no backup safeties.

Bring in Brini in as depth. He started 11 games for an elite defense and is fully developed. He’s a better option than Jalen Harrell.

You guys always forget Keontra Smith. He is 205-210 tops....HE ISNT A REAL LINEBACKER on any real defense coached by anyone not named Manny Diaz. Unless he plans on adding aditionaly 10-15 to his frame this spring.

Striker was so deep that Chase Smith couldnt play and they moved 2 guys out of the spot. We have multiple possible guys that can play in the box type honestly. Its essentially something James Williams can do as well...especially when wanting to get Avantae Williams on the field.
I personally wont bring Brini in...and would rather bring in 2 PORTAL LBS. But if Mario are col with bringing guys from S.fla back home and creating THAT sort of culture...lets run with it/

Advertisement
Can’t expect Kelly or Moss to contribute right away. They very well May but not a recipe for success. We need one more DE from the portal. We are paper thin there with only 3 legit bodies that aren’t true freshman. Think Shemar is big enough to make a mark as a TF though. The other two need time, they could rush the passer but no way they are setting the edge.
I like our chances grabbing another edge in the portal tbh

You watched Kelly?.

Im 1 of the guys that had him as a better player than Shemar. If he was an early entree no doubt he would be in rotation to me. H can still steal reps...hes really good.

I thought Lichtenstein was a DE?. But i would like another portal edge to . Maybe the Mathis kid from TCU should take a look at

Advertisement

So you’re gonna just remove the most recent evidence? Him starting on the best defense in the country. You’re suggesting I have bias when it’s clear you’re still looking at him like the player you thought would never play. That’s off the table. He’s done more at the position than any of the guys you’re talking about. This ain’t no different than someone saying no to Parrish because of Thad Franklin and Cody Brown.

Chase Smith might be an every down LB. Williams could grow into an Isaiah Simmons type. I’m not locking them into striker and if Brini or whoever gives them an opportunity to find their best position because lack of depth isn’t forcing them to play a spot I’m all for it.

People always talk about how good the current players who never play are and yet the only transfer that didn’t take snaps away was Tommy Kennedy. And you know what we survived missing on Kennedy. WR from Buffalo. Edge player from Tennessee. DE from Va Tech with discipline issues. They all got lots of snaps here. Brini wouldn’t be any different. Beating out Richt and Manny recruits. Bunch of Manny recruits still remain. But if Harrell or Keyshawn takes his snaps that’s a good thing. Our IC count will survive.

You watched Kelly?.

Im 1 of the guys that had him as a better player than Shemar. If he was an early entree no doubt he would be in rotation to me. H can still steal reps...hes really good.

I thought Lichtenstein was a DE?. But i would like another portal edge to . Maybe the Mathis kid from TCU should take a look at
Isn't Kelly having shoulder surgery,he may be out a while.

Advertisement
So you’re gonna just remove the most recent evidence? Him starting on the best defense in the country. You’re suggesting I have bias when it’s clear you’re still looking at him like the player you thought would never play. That’s off the table. He’s done more at the position than any of the guys you’re talking about. This ain’t no different than someone saying no to Parrish because of Thad Franklin and Cody Brown.

Chase Smith might be an every down LB. Williams could grow into an Isaiah Simmons type. I’m not locking them into striker and if Brini or whoever gives them an opportunity to find their best position because lack of depth isn’t forcing them to play a spot I’m all for it.

People always talk about how good the current players who never play are and yet the only transfer that didn’t take snaps away was Tommy Kennedy. And you know what we survived missing on Kennedy. WR from Buffalo. Edge player from Tennessee. DE from Va Tech with discipline issues. They all got lots of snaps here. Brini wouldn’t be any different. Beating out Richt and Manny recruits. Bunch of Manny recruits still remain. But if Harrell or Keyshawn takes his snaps that’s a good thing. Our IC count will survive.
Okay 1.) He started because someone was hurt. He also WOULDNT have played if Stevenson didnt leave either ..because for whatever reason Smart liked him there..hence him leaving. They were actually low on that spot, but he took it an ran with it and played solidly for them.
2.)He hasnt done more at the position than Frierson. The guys i mentioned will be sophomores i believe or maybe even rs freshman, he is a 5th year sr. I dont think looking to the portal for DEPTH
3.) Chas Smith possibly can, we have to see if he can add weight this spring. James Williams doesnt want to be a linebacker...believe me I know.
4.) All the guys you named were basically starters before transferring here an pluggin holes, not rotation guys like Brini.

We have a glut of guys that can POSSIBLY play as a nickel in the box type. See how they fit in a new defensive scheme ..before reaching is my point. He graduated last semester., Im sure Kirby said thank you for your service go seek shelter else where to START.

Advertisement
With all the CB talent that is/was in the portal. If we end up with Brini. That would be disappointing.

Balom should be available, right? Do Washington, Dunson or Harrell have any chance to be decent backups?
Dunson was cross trained and the games i went to ...didnt look awkward back there at safety though he is thinly built.

Washington in the spring game was laying ppl down. I didnt like the take in recruitment...but last spring he impressed me duriong the game...caused a fumble and had 2-3 big hits. Harrell appears to be one of the most physical dbs we have based off the little hitting drills they would show from practice.

I have Balom if the injury situation clears as a really decent back up...Dunson got his feet wet a bit and might be able to progress..he has potential. Its alot to be desired with Harrell and Washington...i would wait to see during the spring.

I swear some of y’all are on the spectrum.
I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt, but for people affected by this condition, your statement is very offensive. I’m sure you will just say “relax it’s just a message board” or something to that effect but your comment is just as offensive as if you were denigrating someone’s race, religion or sexuality.

Advertisement
Back