Transfer Portal watch

I disagree they need to be paid. Most these kids don't go pro. Yet will suffer with cte and other bodily injuries for the rest of their lives. Get that bag.
Please read subsequent post (#1524). This don’t about paying kids, it’s about making sure that the playing field is even and making sure that NIL is handled as intended. This shouldn’t be about how to funnel money to top level talent to get them to sign through boosters.

Advertisement
The NIL honestly makes it more complicated than it needs to be. Schools are paying kids, but the schools aren’t actually paying. They’re getting their boosters to spend their money instead of the massive profit the schools generate.

I know the boosters aren’t hurting financially and that’s why they drop the coin, but I wouldn’t confuse this with some interpretation of capitalism.

Please read subsequent post (#1524). This don’t about paying kids, it’s about making sure that the playing field is even and making sure that NIL is handled as intended. This shouldn’t be about how to funnel money to top level talent to get them to sign through boosters.
The American way is that the open market sets your pay. Coaches get paid 8-12 million and half of them at least will fail.
People are paid for past performances. Nothing is EQUAL here in America nor in this world. Top level people get top level prizes.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Did I say that? I said that I believe these kids deserve more than they had before, but to be compensated like this upfront is not going to be a good outcome for the college game that I love most. I believe they need to figure out a plan to regulate the manner in which the payments can be made, not eliminate this entirely. Was the Wild West a great place to live in spite of law and order? That’s what it feels like.

Perhaps a program that gives them a sum but not all of their earnings up front and a vesting schedule for later in life when they could rely on the assets could be more appropriate (while making sure that they eventually get every red cent with interest). The numbers of failed careers and flame outs is immense in this sport and perhaps releasing funds as income after college would benefit some of these kids that fall victim to injury or flame out who would be better when they have a better head in their shoulders.

The spirit of this program is in the right place but the practice of it to pay kids legally (from BOOSTER money) is downright wrong.

Do you not agree that this system is going to continue to bid up top talent? And in the model of capitalism, supply and demand ultimately causes the price to go up with demand being high and a limited supply of one being the finite value. Are the larger pockets not going to win every one of these battles? And what happens to the kid when he is already entitled leaving high school playing games with fans on social media when being recruited all for the purpose of attention? Now they have even more reason to spend more attention to their image than their school work. BTW, this is now leaching into high schools before kids are going to college. How are kids going to focus on scholastics that will drive 99.99% of their careers in the figure?

Where does it end? Yes, I like capitalism. But I also like college football of pre-COVID times and my point is that I would like a system that would allow for both. I also like the thought of not speaking Chinese someday too and believe that if we let this take over, we will be hurting our education system to the point of no return (I get this is far fetched but I don’t like the severity of the consequences).
As a UM fan, yes college football is going down a dangerous path.

But from an entrepreneurial standpoint I love this for the kids since they are the ones that put their bodies on the line for these adults and have lifetime injuries.

So good for the kids for getting all they can based on the market and value they bring.

I’m pro player…you clearly are not since your proposals are restricting the amount an adult (most are 18 when they get to college) can be compensated.

In no other scenario (other than sports) are y’all so called capitalists ok with restricting how much money someone can earn.

That’s why I said you don’t have the same energy for coaches. Why no restrictions on how much they make?

Jimbo does not secure that ridiculous contract from *** To Mouth U if Crab Legs and that traitor D. Cook aren’t playing for FSU but according to you they should have restrictions on how much they can make and when they can get their money.

Keep that same energy for everything else in the college system…restrict coaching salaries, analysts, ADs etc

Or let the free market correct itself.

You should blame the NCAA as they should have seen this coming years ago but kept their head in the sand.

They should have let the players unionize and they could have come up with a set of rules.

I’m all for restrictions if both sides are represented by good and competent counsel and enter into a bargained for agreement.

You are for sports communism.

As a UM fan, yes college football is going down a dangerous path.

But from an entrepreneurial standpoint I love this for the kids since they are the ones that put their bodies on the line for these adults and have lifetime injuries.

So good for the kids for getting all they can based on the market and value they bring.

I’m pro player…you clearly are not since your proposals are restricting the amount an adult (most are 18 when they get to college) can be compensated.

In no other scenario (other than sports) are y’all so called capitalists ok with restricting how much money someone can earn.

That’s why I said you don’t have the same energy for coaches. Why no restrictions on how much they make?

Jimbo does not secure that ridiculous contract from *** To Mouth U if Crab Legs and that traitor D. Cook aren’t playing for FSU but according to you they should have restrictions on how much they can make and when they can get their money.

Keep that same energy for everything else in the college system…restrict coaching salaries, analysts, ADs etc

Or let the free market correct itself.

You should blame the NCAA as they should have seen this coming years ago but kept their head in the sand.

They should have let the players unionize and they could have come up with a set of rules.

I’m all for restrictions if both sides are represented by good and competent counsel and enter into a bargained for agreement.

You are for sports communism.
You are ridiculous! Don’t put words into my mouth. I didn’t say that they shouldn’t be able to make money and I didn’t say that they should be restricted. The work that I used is regulated (which means to have a governing body reviewing all of these deals to make sure that they are in compliance with the law). I am in a highly regulated industry and I am a VERY ETHICAL person.

My whole thesis is that collegiate sports is being ruined by people using NIL as a way to funnel illicit funds that would have usually been under the table prior and are now being done so in a legal manner through the guise and rouse of this system. Clearly I used some other words that infuriated you to the point that you didn’t read the rest of the statement. I am by no means a communist (strong words by the way that you should be careful using)!

If you can let me know why this system is okay to allow BOOSTERS to circumvent the rules by setting up shell LLCs to provide for UT’s offensive line to be “community leaders” and pay them $100k each through a couple of foundations, then I am all ears. Otherwise, if kids are making money to represent products, brands, etc., then all good. But as you and I both know, the current state of this system is not about compensating someone for their Name, Image and Likeness, it is about who can secure the largest bag from a university’s booster to commit to their to play. How does that provide for the integrity of competitive sports? At least in the pros, teams are regulated by a salary cap. As pro players, you aren’t capped in advertisement, but solely earnings. So why should college players not abide by the same circumstances? Does not that provide for total imbalance? And the system that you described creates an oligopoly whereby a few players control the system. That is what this is likely to cause, not a free market system.

You are ridiculous! Don’t put words into my mouth. I didn’t say that they shouldn’t be able to make money and I didn’t say that they should be restricted. The work that I used is regulated (which means to have a governing body reviewing all of these deals to make sure that they are in compliance with the law). I am in a highly regulated industry and I am a VERY ETHICAL person.

My whole thesis is that collegiate sports is being ruined by people using NIL as a way to funnel illicit funds that would have usually been under the table prior and are now being done so in a legal manner through the guise and rouse of this system. Clearly I used some other words that infuriated you to the point that you didn’t read the rest of the statement. I am by no means a communist (strong words by the way that you should be careful using)!

If you can let me know why this system is okay to allow BOOSTERS to circumvent the rules by setting up shell LLCs to provide for UT’s offensive line to be “community leaders” and pay them $100k each through a couple of foundations, then I am all ears. Otherwise, if kids are making money to represent products, brands, etc., then all good. But as you and I both know, the current state of this system is not about compensating someone for their Name, Image and Likeness, it is about who can secure the largest bag from a university’s booster to commit to their to play. How does that provide for the integrity of competitive sports? At least in the pros, teams are regulated by a salary cap. As pro players, you aren’t capped in advertisement, but solely earnings. So why should college players not abide by the same circumstances? Does not that provide for total imbalance? And the system that you described creates an oligopoly whereby a few players control the system. That is what this is likely to cause, not a free market system.
Regulation is a form of restriction. You are ok with “regulation” on the players but you are silent when it comes to coaches and the other adults that make money off the players.

You stated that you are ok with an adult being denied his full compensation until after he leaves college. That is restriction and anti capitalism (even if he gets interest; he could have gotten more than the interest you say). I see I hit a nerve…as the expression goes… “a hit dog will holler”

Like I said previously, I’m ok with bargained for “regulation” which the NCAA should’ve done on their own without it ever going to court.

Now that the genie is out of the bottle then I’m ok for the players to get the most money they can even if it’s to the detriment of UM and college football.

Obviously I’d rather the players and the schools agree on a set of rules because I agree with you that it is going down an unsustainable path.

I’ve yet to get this answer from you: why are you ok with boosters setting up LLCs to pay Nick Saban’s mortgage for his mansion or USC allowing Riley to use private jets for his family but not ok for an adult to pay another adult (five star football player) for playing football at the school he loves?

Keep. That. Same. Energy. For. The. Coaches.

Dude played well in parts mainly due to his raw athleticism but Riley benched him for Rattler in one of the later games.. that’s pretty bad.

Rattler’s decision making is equivalent to square peg round hole trying to slam it home relentlessly whilst drooling on himself. He is the most overrated QB in a looong time.
Mario Williams shouldn't be packaging himself with Caleb. Any skill player should seriously consider playing with TVD, TVD is gonna make alot of ppl money.

Advertisement
People wanting 18 years to get paid like professionals who have been in the business for over 30 years. Come on now.

Regulation is a form of restriction. You are ok with “regulation” on the players but you are silent when it comes to coaches and the other adults that make money off the players.

You stated that you are ok with an adult being denied his full compensation until after he leaves college. That is restriction and anti capitalism (even if he gets interest; he could have gotten more than the interest you say). I see I hit a nerve…as the expression goes… “a hit dog will holler”

Like I said previously, I’m ok with bargained for “regulation” which the NCAA should’ve done on their own without it ever going to court.

Now that the genie is out of the bottle then I’m ok for the players to get the most money they can even if it’s to the detriment of UM and college football.

Obviously I’d rather the players and the schools agree on a set of rules because I agree with you that it is going down an unsustainable path.

I’ve yet to get this answer from you: why are you ok with boosters setting up LLCs to pay Nick Saban’s mortgage for his mansion or USC allowing Riley to use private jets for his family but not ok for an adult to pay another adult (five star football player) for playing football at the school he loves?

Keep. That. Same. Energy. For. The. Coaches.
Sorry I failed to address your pressing question. I am not okay with boosters paying the coaches extra compensation. That should be up to the university to use their funds for and I don’t understand why there need to be extra perks as the salaries are determined by the employer university.

In the same manner, I am not okay with the boosters putting funds into the pot to attract kids. These are extra funds that are not allocating the revenue from the university (tv rights, tickets, concessions, etc). This is part of the reason why I have a problem with the set up…it is a measurement of who’s alumni are richer (a game that the U will ultimately lose due to being a much smaller university than public ones). You and I are on the same page with regards to this with the exception of how things should be handled in the present. We both believe the booster BS funding of players is incorrect for the integrity of the game. The chord you struck with me is calling me a communist! That is against my principals in entirety as I work **** hard for a living.

Sorry I failed to address your pressing question. I am not okay with boosters paying the coaches extra compensation. That should be up to the university to use their funds for and I don’t understand why there need to be extra perks as the salaries are determined by the employer university.

In the same manner, I am not okay with the boosters putting funds into the pot to attract kids. These are extra funds that are not allocating the revenue from the university (tv rights, tickets, concessions, etc). This is part of the reason why I have a problem with the set up…it is a measurement of who’s alumni are richer (a game that the U will ultimately lose due to being a much smaller university than public ones). You and I are on the same page with regards to this with the exception of how things should be handled in the present. We both believe the booster BS funding of players is incorrect for the integrity of the game. The chord you struck with me is calling me a communist! That is against my principals in entirety as I work **** hard for a living.
We are in agreement then. My apologies on the communist statement…it probably was a bit over the top.

FYI boosters have been funding the athletic department especially the football team well before NIL. I think most of the big state schools are like this and this is how they get around any complaints about how the football coach is the highest paid state employee (by saying the state/school isn’t the one that’s paying the coach or his assistants).

So my overall point is that everyone should be regulated…the coaches….etc… and not just the players, who are the only ones that are putting their health and safety on the line.

Advertisement
People wanting 18 years to get paid like professionals who have been in the business for over 30 years. Come on now.
People wanting an adult to not get the maximum amount another adult is willing to pay said adult. Come on now.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back