Transfer Portal watch

It was the scheme that made Corey Flagg unable to diagnose a counter play? The scheme gave DJ Ivey cinder blocks for feet? The scheme (the same one who produced multiple first-round edge players) made Deandre Johnson the 2nd coming of Houdini? The scheme put Te'Corey Couch on the hash on 4th and 14 and made him move OUTSIDE to a zone which had zero (0) receivers in it and was already manned by the aforementioned cement legs?

Stop. There is a LOT of dead weight here. There's some kids to be excited about, for sure. There is some talent. But there isn't nearly enough of it. And I'm not defending Diaz at all. The tackling was poor, that's reflection on your technique, which is a reflection of coaching and repetition. He deserves the blame. It was his defense, in Year 6. Zero excuse to be that bad. But if you think a new scheme is going to make some eye-opening improvement without an influx of talent, you're a lot more optimistic than I am.

Like I said, we need portal help, BADLY. And we need one of the freshmen corners to come in READY. Not trial by fire. I'm talking hair on fire from Day 1. We have zero depth or talent at corner if Stevenson leaves. Absolutely none at backer besides Keontra. And the edge is as bad as I've seen it since Richt was hired. LOT of holes to fill, and they can't be filled by Glenn Schumann or anyone else in a polo.
1000%. We need almost a complete overhaul of portal help on D.

Advertisement
It was the scheme that made Corey Flagg unable to diagnose a counter play? The scheme gave DJ Ivey cinder blocks for feet? The scheme (the same one who produced multiple first-round edge players) made Deandre Johnson the 2nd coming of Houdini? The scheme put Te'Corey Couch on the hash on 4th and 14 and made him move OUTSIDE to a zone which had zero (0) receivers in it and was already manned by the aforementioned cement legs?

Stop. There is a LOT of dead weight here. There's some kids to be excited about, for sure. There is some talent. But there isn't nearly enough of it. And I'm not defending Diaz at all. The tackling was poor, that's reflection on your technique, which is a reflection of coaching and repetition. He deserves the blame. It was his defense, in Year 6. Zero excuse to be that bad. But if you think a new scheme is going to make some eye-opening improvement without an influx of talent, you're a lot more optimistic than I am.

Like I said, we need portal help, BADLY. And we need one of the freshmen corners to come in READY. Not trial by fire. I'm talking hair on fire from Day 1. We have zero depth or talent at corner if Stevenson leaves. Absolutely none at backer besides Keontra. And the edge is as bad as I've seen it since Richt was hired. LOT of holes to fill, and they can't be filled by Glenn Schumann or anyone else in a polo.
Wow! Great points!

I'd argue this point on Couch. Coaching definitely should have had him lining up 4 - 6 yards deeper. Allowing him to see the dig route. He could have made the play still but coaching put him behind the 8-ball.

Advertisement
This time last year I was waiting for us to land Palaie Gaoteote. Then we saw a succession of very capable linebackers enter the transfer portal, none to come here. By August, the word was that Manny liked the linebackers on the roster. We saw what happened next.
At this point, I have faith that a new staff will bring in some new talent from the portal. But ****, the LB thing was painful last year.

Former starting Safety at Arkansas.

(And yes I’m aware we’re stacked at S & no I’m not advocating that we go after him)

tenor.gif

Advertisement

Sir (and / or madam), I refer you to this post from Coach Manny Diaz. Evidently you didn't read it as he's set us up for a breakout season in 2022 :rolleyes::

Advertisement

Overall talent level on defense, especially third and fourth year players is as bad as it's been in recent memory. There's some promising youth at certain spots but mostly it's all potential with very little on field results to point to and say "yeah this guys is 100% solid". There isn't a scheme that's going to make a lot of these JAGs into legit players. There's desperation for portal help at corner, linebacker (ILB if we move to an odd front d) DT (or NT) and edge. The only spot on defense where I can say "we're fine here " is safety/striker.

Advertisement
"He said last week that a decision could be coming today. I believe he’s going to choose between Tennessee and Florida State. I haven’t directly heard that Miami isn’t involved but talking to people familiar with the recruitment indicate that Miami may be on the outside looking in"

Advertisement
Back