Transfer Portal watch

Was there any truth to the Candle story that broke last year? Before we hired Gattis, he seemed like the one that had the most traction. Wondering if Mario looks at him again.
Brady
Dorsey
Briles (supposedly offered)
Candle (supposedly offered)
Golesh
Rees

There were probably more but Gattis was wayyyy down the list of names we heard

Advertisement
Stop lol... Citizen hasn't played a down yet and Don Chaney best season here was like 300 rushing yards. I can understand you making an argument for Knighton but definitely not Chaney or Citizen

The big caveat with the Don and Citizen is health, obviously. We all know that. If 100% healthy, both of those dudes are better than Parrish. If you want to justify your position by nuancing it with "but they're never healthy!" fine, have at it. But, from a talent pov, it's not close.

Parrish is our 3rd best RB behind those two and then Knighton is after that. JMO.

Was there any truth to the Candle story that broke last year? Before we hired Gattis, he seemed like the one that had the most traction. Wondering if Mario looks at him again.
That story was 100% true. I'm not sure he will leave Toledo right now, particularly for an OC job.

What I like about Mario seeking out Candle, is that he isn't necessarily a ground-and-pound guy. Candle (if you have watched Toledo), has a great ground game, but it is very balanced. Loves to go deep, but also uses the TEs alot (he ran a 3 TE set against Bowling Green last week).

I'm from Toledo, so I follow MAC football closely.

Advertisement
Jimbo???? J/K. would have said Satterfield but he seems safe. Maybe Neal Brown?
I was thinking Neal Brown.

OC/QB coach for Troy from 2008-09
OC/QB coach for Texas Tech 2010-2012 (Under Tuberville)
OC/QB coach for Kentucky 2013-14 (Under Stoops)
HC Troy 2015-2018
HC WV 2019 -now.

I was thinking Neal Brown.

OC/QB coach for Troy from 2008-09
OC/QB coach for Texas Tech 2010-2012 (Under Tuberville)
OC/QB coach for Kentucky 2013-14 (Under Stoops)
HC Troy 2015-2018
HC WV 2019 -now.
Guy can recruit as well. Kid's love him.

Advertisement
Cribby dropping yall a hint there with the "coach who could be fired" possibility.
Nah I was just basing that off of what I know about the staff, more of a educated guess. I don’t know who the possibilities are, just some ideas or guesses. Maybe making a run at guys who were interested last time but there wasn’t many options with their staff. I’m just pretty confident at the least he’s reached out and knows who’s interested

Nah I was just basing that off of what I know about the staff, more of a educated guess. I don’t know who the possibilities are, just some ideas or guesses. Maybe making a run at guys who were interested last time but there wasn’t many options with their staff. I’m just pretty confident at the least he’s reached out and knows who’s interested
Cribby, do you think it’s safe to assume Mirabal is one offensive coach who Mario keeps on staff? Does he tell the new OC they can hire their own offensive staff but must keep a role for Mirabal?

Advertisement
The big caveat with the Don and Citizen is health, obviously. We all know that. If 100% healthy, both of those dudes are better than Parrish. If you want to justify your position by nuancing it with "but they're never healthy!" fine, have at it. But, from a talent pov, it's not close.

Parrish is our 3rd best RB behind those two and then Knighton is after that. JMO.
Health is important though and Don Chaney can stay healthy. The best ability is availability and there is no telling if these players will be the same after the injuries as well.

Brady
Dorsey
Briles (supposedly offered)
Candle (supposedly offered)
Golesh
Rees

There were probably more but Gattis was wayyyy down the list of names we heard

Candle was offered and he was the first choice. Mario and him are friends and share an agent. It was as far as salary was discussed and he was going to get a significant raise over what he made as Toledo HC. Ultimately he decided to stay at Toledo and bet on himself as the new Toledo President and AD refused to give him a new contract. The Toledo newspaper had a story back in March that detailed everything.

I don’t think Briles ever got an offer, but he sure as **** leaked the news in hopes of getting a new deal from Arkansas. Don’t think Arkansas bit.

Rees was offered right before Gattis and declined on a Saturday and then Gattis accepted on the following day.

Advertisement
Candle was offered and he was the first choice. Mario and him are friends and share an agent. It was as far as salary was discussed and he was going to get a significant raise over what he made as Toledo HC. Ultimately he decided to stay at Toledo and bet on himself as the new Toledo President and AD refused to give him a new contract. The Toledo newspaper had a story back in March that detailed everything.

I don’t think Briles ever got an offer, but he sure as **** leaked the news in hopes of getting a new deal from Arkansas. Don’t think Arkansas bit.

Rees was offered right before Gattis and declined on a Saturday and then Gattis accepted on the following day.

I forgot about Rees. Should give everyone pause thinking Mario can hit a homerun as OC hire.

Was there any truth to the Liam Coen rumors last year? He seems to be in troubled waters right now with the Rams. Most coaches probably get more time but their offense completely fell off a cliff, and they seem to pull the trigger faster in the NFL.

Was there any truth to the Liam Coen rumors last year? He seems to be in troubled waters right now with the Rams. Most coaches probably get more time but their offense completely fell off a cliff, and they seem to pull the trigger faster in the NFL.
It fell off a cliff because they can’t protect Matt. They’re probably starting their 3rd string QB this week.

Advertisement
Back