Transfer Portal watch

Siap but apparently WVU is worried about losing Donaldson. I’ll admit I didn’t know much about the kid prior to this season honestly. Obviously he had a **** good year as a freshman up there. He is an unconventional guy at the RB spot but skills have translated apparently. He’d be a guy that a creative OC could really have some fun with. Anyway, this was an update on Sunday night from their board…

------- I've continued to reach out to People about this potential situation with CJ Donaldson throughout the day. I've expanded out beyond the original two Sources, and have now spoken with at least five People from Morgantown to Miami, from high school coach to college coach to other writers. The story is consistent - no decision from Donaldson at this time, but that doesn't mean it's not being looked at.

Those closest to Donaldson tell me they "expect him to see what's next for the program" in regards to the coaching staff. That would be.... well, step two, actually, if we're going by time. Because the first step will be the Thanksgiving break. WVU is actually on Thanksgiving break right now. Donaldson is expected back in Miami this week, and will not be with the team. That's not unusual for players who are injured long-term. However, this is probably the worst possible time (as far as WVU is concerned) for him to be going back home and get some more bugs in his ear, especially about the Hurricanes.

Assuming he makes it through that trip back home without making a decision (which, again, those closest to him are consistently saying they expect him to wait, but... we'll see), then he'll be watching closely what happens with Neal Brown and staff. Brown being fired does not mean he will immediately enter the portal. He'll be watching closely to see what's next.

------- Know what else could be a factor? "Taking care of him with NIL could go a long way in keeping him in Morgantown," is how one Person put it to me. I know some purists will shake with anger at that statement, but.... he was a middle of the road recruit who didn't have many other schools pushing for him when he committed to WVU. So, he didn't exactly draw in NIL money. Then, he became a star.... even if he got hurt and his season came to an end far too soon. I'll be honest - I have no clue what kind of NIL money he makes at WVU right now (I'll poke around on that). I don't know what he expects. I don't know what other schools might offer.

But his situation has changed: from a true freshman that needs to prove something to warrant any kind of deal, to someone that has shown promise and will almost certainly have someone willing to roll the dice on him.

------- My conversation with one Person, someone who is on staff at another FBS school, was not completely focused on Donaldson, but rather WVU's situation as a whole. And.... he made some similar comments that I don't think are completely unique (I believe we've made the same argument on the pod, and others have made it on the board), but it's the first time I've heard it from someone in his position.

To paraphrase: WVU is in a crummy position because they're too good to take high school players that would just be grateful enough to have a scholarship, but not quite high enough on the totem pole to hold onto the players if they truly wanted to leave. Some of these guys who have transferred from WVU come to WVU despite thinking they're better than WVU. They do so because WVU is their best offer out of high school. Then, once they have a great year, they see it as an opportunity to "move up"....

So, whether that was true (Akheem Mesidor?) or not (basically everyone else?), WVU loses them. And, most of the time, both WVU and the player end up in a worse situation.
Donaldson is not only miles better than Trey but can do everything in the backfield at 240. He would instantly be the starter and the most impactful guy on O.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I'll be honest.... Maybe it's the ptsd but after how we slow played the portal last yr at the wr position waiting for "big fish" and ended up empty, I'll be totally fine with having a quick trigger this yr. Take talent when available.

It hurts my soul to admit this but I clowned fsu for taking any and everybody so quickly... It kinda paid off for them.

It’s officially the off-season around here.

I’ll say this; y’all thought Sparty had a ton of action in the portal a year ago?

Watch This GIF

I'll be honest.... Maybe it's the ptsd but after how we slow played the portal last yr at the wr position waiting for "big fish" and ended up empty, I'll be totally fine with having a quick trigger this yr. Take talent when available.

It hurts my soul to admit this but I clowned fsu for taking any and everybody so quickly... It kinda paid off for them.
Mario was weeks on the job so hard to say that he slow played

Advertisement
Advertisement
Siap but apparently WVU is worried about losing Donaldson. I’ll admit I didn’t know much about the kid prior to this season honestly. Obviously he had a **** good year as a freshman up there. He is an unconventional guy at the RB spot but skills have translated apparently. He’d be a guy that a creative OC could really have some fun with. Anyway, this was an update on Sunday night from their board…

------- I've continued to reach out to People about this potential situation with CJ Donaldson throughout the day. I've expanded out beyond the original two Sources, and have now spoken with at least five People from Morgantown to Miami, from high school coach to college coach to other writers. The story is consistent - no decision from Donaldson at this time, but that doesn't mean it's not being looked at.

Those closest to Donaldson tell me they "expect him to see what's next for the program" in regards to the coaching staff. That would be.... well, step two, actually, if we're going by time. Because the first step will be the Thanksgiving break. WVU is actually on Thanksgiving break right now. Donaldson is expected back in Miami this week, and will not be with the team. That's not unusual for players who are injured long-term. However, this is probably the worst possible time (as far as WVU is concerned) for him to be going back home and get some more bugs in his ear, especially about the Hurricanes.

Assuming he makes it through that trip back home without making a decision (which, again, those closest to him are consistently saying they expect him to wait, but... we'll see), then he'll be watching closely what happens with Neal Brown and staff. Brown being fired does not mean he will immediately enter the portal. He'll be watching closely to see what's next.

------- Know what else could be a factor? "Taking care of him with NIL could go a long way in keeping him in Morgantown," is how one Person put it to me. I know some purists will shake with anger at that statement, but.... he was a middle of the road recruit who didn't have many other schools pushing for him when he committed to WVU. So, he didn't exactly draw in NIL money. Then, he became a star.... even if he got hurt and his season came to an end far too soon. I'll be honest - I have no clue what kind of NIL money he makes at WVU right now (I'll poke around on that). I don't know what he expects. I don't know what other schools might offer.

But his situation has changed: from a true freshman that needs to prove something to warrant any kind of deal, to someone that has shown promise and will almost certainly have someone willing to roll the dice on him.

------- My conversation with one Person, someone who is on staff at another FBS school, was not completely focused on Donaldson, but rather WVU's situation as a whole. And.... he made some similar comments that I don't think are completely unique (I believe we've made the same argument on the pod, and others have made it on the board), but it's the first time I've heard it from someone in his position.

To paraphrase: WVU is in a crummy position because they're too good to take high school players that would just be grateful enough to have a scholarship, but not quite high enough on the totem pole to hold onto the players if they truly wanted to leave. Some of these guys who have transferred from WVU come to WVU despite thinking they're better than WVU. They do so because WVU is their best offer out of high school. Then, once they have a great year, they see it as an opportunity to "move up"....

So, whether that was true (Akheem Mesidor?) or not (basically everyone else?), WVU loses them. And, most of the time, both WVU and the player end up in a worse situation.
Don’t let him leave Miami.

Advertisement
is Seven Mcgee truly 5'8? and Oregon had him at WR, is that right?

not sure he fits in here considering mario likes bigger backs and seems to be going for size at WR

Advertisement
Back