Transfer/Portal Success Moving Forward

kyle_schick

Redshirt Freshman
The administration needs to be hammering this and taking advantage of it. They should be doing professional-level interviews or well-produced clips to put out into the social media realm.

They should be kicking down the door at ESPN or some network to do a segment on the success of Transfer Portal additions at the U.

Have King, Philips, Roche, Bolden, Williams, Hedley and Bor all involved.

Bring in Osborn from last year. Show people that our transfers are getting drafted or will be getting drafted.

Show people that our transfers are starting, and leading the culture/team.

Keep hitting the point that if you want a second chance or a fresh start, then you should be here.

If the coaches are going to depend on transfers instead of doing proper evals and development, then the success of the portal players needs to be heavily advertised. Make it a U thing. A "Miami Mercenary" concept.

This is info ops/advertising basics. I think the program is sitting on a potential goldmine with it and it seems that maybe they could get more out of it.

Advertisement
Agreed. And now that we are in a position of strength, we need to be selective. My two non-negotiable criteria would be: (1) NFL talent; and (2) great character/work ethic.

This needs to be non-negotiable.

This can't be a charity center...and we can't be desperate at a position group to be accepting charity either. If you're coming here, you're coming here to win championships and make money. No more Tommy Kennedy, George Brown Jr. types. We've now have too many examples of legit players transferring in to be accepting of slop.

Probably won’t be possible in some certain circumstances, but I would love it if they were multiple year players as well.

One and dones can mess up player development and morale.

Advertisement
If the coaches are going to depend on transfers instead of doing proper evals and development, then the success of the portal players needs to be heavily advertised. Make it a U thing. A "Miami Mercenary" concept.
The rest of your post made sense but do you think the staff is purposely ignoring recruits to focus on transfers? Our reliance on transfers has more to do with guys opting out/ leaving early than anything else. A guy like Jaelan Phillips wouldn't even be starting if Rousseau didn't go one and done.

Advertisement
The administration needs to be hammering this and taking advantage of it. They should be doing professional-level interviews or well-produced clips to put out into the social media realm.

They should be kicking down the door at ESPN or some network to do a segment on the success of Transfer Portal additions at the U.

Have King, Philips, Roche, Bolden, Williams, Hedley and Bor all involved.

Bring in Osborn from last year. Show people that our transfers are getting drafted or will be getting drafted.

Show people that our transfers are starting, and leading the culture/team.

Keep hitting the point that if you want a second chance or a fresh start, then you should be here.

This is info ops/advertising basics. I think the program is sitting on a potential goldmine with it and it seems that maybe they could get more out of it.
You can say a lot of bad things about Manny, but his handle of the portal is not one of them, I think he's on top of this and players around the country are definitely taking notice even without an infomercial on ESPN

“Show people that our transfers are starting, and leading the culture/team.”

I find it interesting that transfers are the leaders of the team and culture, even on the defensive side of the ball, where manny has been recruiting for 5 years. That’s part of the reason why I’m still skeptical about our long term success Because we are outsourcing things like this that have to be built from within to be sustainable

“Show people that our transfers are starting, and leading the culture/team.”

I find it interesting that transfers are the leaders of the team and culture, even on the defensive side of the ball, where manny has been recruiting for 5 years. That’s part of the reason why I’m still skeptical about our long term success Because we are outsourcing things like this that have to be built from within to be sustainable
This is somewhat true, but we've had some damned good players under Manny on defense.
He basically had the same LBs for the majority of his time, and we've actually rotated some pretty good DL, yet many of them were transfers. We have struggled keeping the interest of top level talent on the Dline.

I have seen a trend the last two seasons in recruiting, that looks really good for depth building and I am hoping that a sign for the future.

Advertisement
Would much rather build with top evaluations recruiting high school. Do not mind a couple of tx every year to fill a position of immediate need but only if top flight players. You could run future high schoolers away when you have too many starters every year that are tx,s

Agreed. And now that we are in a position of strength, we need to be selective. My two non-negotiable criteria would be: (1) NFL talent; and (2) great character/work ethic.
Which was Roche and Williams this season. Hopefully we can find their equivalent at cb this year.

The rest of your post made sense but do you think the staff is purposely ignoring recruits to focus on transfers? Our reliance on transfers has more to do with guys opting out/ leaving early than anything else. A guy like Jaelan Phillips wouldn't even be starting if Rousseau didn't go one and done.
I don't think that they're ignoring recruits to focus on transfers, I just don't think they have been good at evaluating talent at certain positions, or haven't been successful in bringing talent in.

Jaelan Philips would be starting opposite Rousseau this year if he didn't opt out.

The freshman class shows promise IMO, and the current class seems to be pretty formidable.

Advertisement
This may be way off-base, but I think Miami is more attractive as a transfer destination for a 22-year-old (that can go to bars, etc), than it is for an 18-year-old (that sees the big on-campus stadiums that pack in 100k+ to see Penn State beat up on Akron). Miami is kind of an adult city, if that makes any sense.

Maybe 4 years in Miami isn't for everyone, but a 1-year "vacation" type transfer, where you are guaranteed to get a look from scouts, isn't the worst decision you can make.

We need to brand ourselves like UK and Duke basketball. 1 and done.
Just like the McDonald's All-American basketball players, you come to UM to win and get exposure for the pros.
This should be easy marketing. Especially if some of our "1 and dones" from this year, most notably Roche and Phillips, are drafted high.

bingo. getting a guy like phillips or bolden who had multiple years left were no brainers given their talent. transfers help you replenish what youre losing when kids leave early. also, in todays CFB, you have to use the portal as an extension of your recruiting. OSUs best player is a transfer. LSUs best QB ever was a transfer. transfers are more common now more than ever and will continue to be. gotta stop thinking of it as neglect

We need to brand ourselves like UK and Duke basketball. 1 and done.
Just like the McDonald's All-American basketball players, you come to UM to win and get exposure for the pros.
This should be easy marketing. Especially if some of our "1 and dones" from this year, most notably Roche and Phillips, are drafted high.

tech phillips wasnt a one and done. he shirted last year to get healthy and into football shape and just exploded partly due to losing gr right before the season began

Advertisement
Back