Transfer/Portal Success Moving Forward

This may be way off-base, but I think Miami is more attractive as a transfer destination for a 22-year-old (that can go to bars, etc), than it is for an 18-year-old (that sees the big on-campus stadiums that pack in 100k+ to see Penn State beat up on Akron). Miami is kind of an adult city, if that makes any sense.

Maybe 4 years in Miami isn't for everyone, but a 1-year "vacation" type transfer, where you are guaranteed to get a look from scouts, isn't the worst decision you can make.

ivins talks about this a lot (not the bars), but often times older transfers are attracted to Miami bc it is a pro city that offers essentially adults (21-23 year olds) a pro lifestyle. it kinda lets them adjust to a pro environment vs the college town they were in.

Advertisement
tech phillips wasnt a one and done. he shirted last year to get healthy and into football shape and just exploded partly due to losing gr right before the season began
Correct, and Bolden as well. But the majority of transfers will likely be 1 and done; Colbert, Osborne, Hill, Roche, and regrettably King (hope I am wrong).

bingo. getting a guy like phillips or bolden who had multiple years left were no brainers given their talent. transfers help you replenish what youre losing when kids leave early. also, in todays CFB, you have to use the portal as an extension of your recruiting. OSUs best player is a transfer. LSUs best QB ever was a transfer. transfers are more common now more than ever and will continue to be. gotta stop thinking of it as neglect

Guys with multiple years left are ideal - i think we have to be selective with upper-class transfers because of IC limits and roster depth, targeting just those elite players or high value positions to fill a glaring hole. With the 25 limit and the amount of kids that seem to declare early or transfer, i would expect Miami's total scholarship count to hover somewhere in the 70's.

ivins talks about this a lot (not the bars), but often times older transfers are attracted to Miami bc it is a pro city that offers essentially adults (21-23 year olds) a pro lifestyle. it kinda lets them adjust to a pro environment vs the college town they were in.
This is a great point that I haven't really thought about. 17-19-year-olds are enamored with college towns, facilities, etc. Older kids don't really give a **** about that stuff; they want to prepare themselves to make money and start transitioning to being a pro. We have a great brand for destination transfers. We are about to put several in the league. It's a strong pitch

Agreed. And now that we are in a position of strength, we need to be selective. My two non-negotiable criteria would be: (1) NFL talent; and (2) great character/work ethic.

I would add a third criteria: Are you a Florida kid we seriously recruited who spurned us for another school? If yes, you're going to need a lot more of No. 1, and a good reason why you committed elsewhere when you could have been here from the jump.

Advertisement
the added bonus to this is the freaking weather in south florida... Come spend the final year with us in SOBE before you turn pro. NO joke

The only problem with taking transfers is it kills your scholarship count. If you take too many each year and they only stay one or two years each, you can't fill a squad because you are still subject to the annual limits.

Guys with multiple years left are ideal - i think we have to be selective with upper-class transfers because of IC limits and roster depth, targeting just those elite players or high value positions to fill a glaring hole. With the 25 limit and the amount of kids that seem to declare early or transfer, i would expect Miami's total scholarship count to hover somewhere in the 70's.

well never be close to the 85 imo (not with the area and higher level recruits we focus on). nothing wrong w that bc the goal is to see them succeed no matter what. thts why the portal is helpful bc it allows you to fill that need that say a gr15 left when he opted out and doesnt leave you focusing on really young kids that arent ready yet

This is a great point that I haven't really thought about. 17-19-year-olds are enamored with college towns, facilities, etc. Older kids don't really give a **** about that stuff; they want to prepare themselves to make money and start transitioning to being a pro. We have a great brand for destination transfers. We are about to put several in the league. It's a strong pitch

often times, theyve been there and done that and are sick of it.

Advertisement
We should only take grad transfers who are starter quality. For example, we used a 2021 IC on Jarrid Williams. Yeah it hurts to lose that spot for a one and done guy but we needed a tackle desperately.

Advertisement
Back