Transfer Portal (NCAA Basketball)

Advertisement
FYI, Kerry Blackshear was not invited to the G-League nor NBA Combine. Miami should pursue him as a grad transfer.

Advertisement
Advertisement
UM basketball has two scholarships remaining after adding three players this offseason: UF grad transfer forward Keith Stone (who will be eligible this season), Cincinnati transfer center Nysier Brooks (who won’t be eligible this season but can play the 2020-21 season at UM), and Montverde Academy four-star shooting guard Harlond Beverly, who is rated by Rivals as the 42nd best player in the 2019 class.

Those three join two well-regarded incoming freshmen: four-star Pennsylvania based point guard Isaiah Wong (rated by Rivals as the 76th best recruit in the country for 2019) and three-star New Hampshire-based power forward Anthony Walker.

And two players who didn’t play for UM last season will do so this season: Oklahoma transfer guard Kameron McGusty and center Rodney Miller, who used last season as a redshirt year to improve his body and his game.

Coach Jim Larranaga told WQAM’s Joe Zagacki on Hurricane Hotline this week that with at least one of the two remaining scholarships, “we would love to get someone in the 6-7, 6-8 category who is a versatile performer. We could utilize some size and skill in our front court. We need someone in that 240, 250 [pound] category.

“We have two scholarships and we’re still recruiting. There are 900 [players] in the basketball transfer portal. We keep our eyes and ears open to that every single day.”

Larranaga said if the season started today, UM would have 10 eligible players on scholarship – wing players Chris Lykes, D.J. Vasiljevic, McGusty, Beverly and Wong; power rotation players Stone, Miller, Deng Gak and Walker, and forward Sam Waardenburg, who’s 6-10 but attempted 54 three-pointers last season.

That will be a considerable improvement over last year’s team, which had deficient depth because of injury, Miller’s redshirt year and most significantly, Dewan Hernandez’s season-long NCAA suspension. Hernandez, incidentally, was invited to participate in this week’s NBA Draft Combine in Chicago.

Is there talk that Huellnandez might come back, or are you speculating?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the final (at the time) result was that he was suspended for part of the 2019-20 season (assuming he comes back).

I would wonder if that ruling might be revised in light of the more recent rule changes.

Call Setch.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the final (at the time) result was that he was suspended for part of the 2019-20 season (assuming he comes back).

I would wonder if that ruling might be revised in light of the more recent rule changes.

Call Setch.
It is possible that Hernandez could come back but it depends on his evaluation during the draft process. If he gets a first round grade or guarantee, I am sure he will not be coming back.

Advertisement
Brooks is a bad addition because sit one to play one is a waste of time and a scholarship. IMO.

That all changes if he gets a waiver and he is eligible this season.

It is possible that Hernandez could come back but it depends on his evaluation during the draft process. If he gets a first round grade or guarantee, I am sure he will not be coming back.

Regardless of anything that Hernandez has done, I would tell ANY UM BASKETBALL PLAYER to go pro if he has a first round grade.

But that isn't even CLOSE to happening with Hernandez. I haven't seen a single mock draft where he is even DRAFTED, and we all know that the bottom half of the second round is draft-and-stash territory.

Hernandez will not be drafted. I highly doubt he will get a tryout. And that sucks, but I'm just being honest.

LAST year's draft eval told him he wasn't going to be drafted, and now he hasn't played in a year.

He needs to come back to UM, hire Setch, and then make one last appeal (in light of the NCAA rule changes).

And if everything fails, then he needs to serve his (ridiculous) suspension and then come help us in the ACC tournament.

Regardless of anything that Hernandez has done, I would tell ANY UM BASKETBALL PLAYER to go pro if he has a first round grade.

But that isn't even CLOSE to happening with Hernandez. I haven't seen a single mock draft where he is even DRAFTED, and we all know that the bottom half of the second round is draft-and-stash territory.

Hernandez will not be drafted. I highly doubt he will get a tryout. And that sucks, but I'm just being honest.

LAST year's draft eval told him he wasn't going to be drafted, and now he hasn't played in a year.

He needs to come back to UM, hire Setch, and then make one last appeal (in light of the NCAA rule changes).

And if everything fails, then he needs to serve his (ridiculous) suspension and then come help us in the ACC tournament.

I agree with you 100% but he has advanced from the G-League Combine to the NBA Combine. I have seen the same mock drafts and you are correct but we will not know anything for sure until May 30th.

Hernandez coming back would make the Brooks scholarship make more sense honestly. Especially the sit one to play one but I still don't like it.

Advertisement
He's looked really good at the Draft Combine according to reports. Only 60 players get drafted but it sounds more and more like he may in the second round.

Advertisement
Back