Transfer Portal (NCAA Basketball)

There are approximately 800 transfers still in the portal including approximately 150 grad transfers still available. Quantity is available, quality is debatable. It all depends on how many minutes and what role you have available for a player.

Advertisement
For a one year player, we do have a strong need for someone who can defend the interior and rebound. I almost see a lack of offense as a plus. Wouldn't mind deficiences in scoring at all if the player can give us these key "other things." If that sounds like Rodney to Coach L, I trust his judgment that he's seen something in Miller I haven't.

For a one year player, we do have a strong need for someone who can defend the interior and rebound. I almost see a lack of offense as a plus. Wouldn't mind deficiences in scoring at all if the player can give us these key "other things." If that sounds like Rodney to Coach L, I trust his judgment that he's seen something in Miller I haven't.

I agree. I think Coach L and staff have committed to Rodney Miller playing a significant role with the team the next two seasons. I could be wrong but I think they have more confidence in him than some fans. Given, they see Rodney play more than we do.

With that being said, I would still add another big, especially if the plan is that Brooks will not get a waiver to play immediately. I honestly would add another big with Brooks since Gak and Stone are still recovering from ACL injuries.

You can never have too much depth as we learned that lesson last season.

Last edited:

I still wonder what happens with the last two available scholarships? I hope the answer is not Dominic Proctor and Willie Herenton.

Advertisement
I mentioned that Center before. Not sure why we’re not recruiting him.

I remember and I did also. I thought Kevin and Curtis Jones should be the two guys who get the last two scholarships. Curtis committed to Penn State last week and I guess the staff is not interested in Kevin since they have Rodney and Deng plus Nysier, especially if he gets a waiver so he can play this season. That would give them three centers on the roster.

GW grad transfer D.J. Williams is a new name in the portal who could provide Miami some perimeter depth and UNVL F Shakur Juiston is still available.

I still feel grad transfer is the best route to go with the last two scholarships.

Advertisement
Per Jeff Goodman, Shakur Juiston is interested in attending Seton Hall, since he is from Newark, NJ. However, Seton Hall already has 13 scholarship players and they do not have a scholarship available for him.

Hopefully, Miami will get involved. Miami should add two games in New Jersey as an incentive for Juiston to come so he can play in his home state.

Advertisement
Per Jeff Goodman, Shakur Juiston is interested in attending Seton Hall, since he is from Newark, NJ. However, Seton Hall already has 13 scholarship players and they do not have a scholarship available for him.

Hopefully, Miami will get involved. Miami should add two games in New Jersey as an incentive for Juiston to come so he can play in his home state.
There is no chance we are going to do that. Maybe 1 game.

Advertisement

▪ Basketball notes: Jim Larranaga believes Rodney Miller, who redshirted last year to work on his game and his body, will be in the “Tonye Jekiri role,” he told WQAM-560. “Big, physical low-post presence. Jekiri averaged 8.9 points a game and was on the ACC’s All Defense team. Rodney is a better offensive threat than Tonye was. We need Rodney to step it up defensively and rebounding wise if he’s really going to make a major contribution. He’s going to get a chance to play a lot of minutes and we need him to produce.”…

This is why Miami has not pursued another transfer big other than Brooks. I hope Brooks gets the waiver for this season.

▪ Basketball notes: Jim Larranaga believes Rodney Miller, who redshirted last year to work on his game and his body, will be in the “Tonye Jekiri role,” he told WQAM-560. “Big, physical low-post presence. Jekiri averaged 8.9 points a game and was on the ACC’s All Defense team. Rodney is a better offensive threat than Tonye was. We need Rodney to step it up defensively and rebounding wise if he’s really going to make a major contribution. He’s going to get a chance to play a lot of minutes and we need him to produce.”…

This is why Miami has not pursued another transfer big other than Brooks. I hope Brooks gets the waiver for this season.
Jesus. I hope he's lost 50+ lbs. Cause he has been slow as **** whenever he's played.

Jesus. I hope he's lost 50+ lbs. Cause he has been slow as **** whenever he's played.

I always find it interesting when fans say they want 3 Stars players who will stay in school for four years but no one wants to wait for Rodney Miller nor Anthony Mack to develop.

Sometimes, fans speak out of both sides of their mouth.

Advertisement
Back