Transfer Portal (NCAA Basketball)

No, Miami did not contact him from what I read and I am fine with that. It is interesting that he is requesting a waiver for immediate eligibility without a coaching change. I think Nysier Brooks should do the same thing as he did experience a coaching change at Cincinnati. At least apply for the waiver and wait for an decision.

Best case scenario: He gets the waiver and competes against Rodney Miller for the starting C position.

Worst case scenario: Brooks sits out for the year then gets dismissed from the team in October 2020.

Last edited:
Advertisement
You have to credit Coach L with knowing full well he needs to fill at least one of those still vacant slots with an immediately-eligible player. I'll be shocked if we start the season with only who we have on the roster today.

You have to credit Coach L with knowing full well he needs to fill at least one of those still vacant slots with an immediately-eligible player. I'll be shocked if we start the season with only who we have on the roster today.

I didn't think Coach L and staff would start last season with 11 but they did. I hope the learned from that mistake and fill out the last two scholarships with grad transfers and get Brooks a waiver for this season.

Going that route gives Miami 5 seniors and 4 juniors on the roster which is perfect because Coach L is a better coach with older players plus the roster would be deep with talent. That would all but guarantee a return trip to the NCAA tournament and probably a top 4 finish in the ACC.

If Brooks is not eligible and neither of the remaining two slots are filled, I think the question of what is "wrong" with UM's ability to recruit grows louder (especially, as you say, after the "mistake" of last season). UM is in the freakin' ACC and in an attractive geographic location. It should not be THIS hard.

Fingers crossed these two slots will be filled soon.

Advertisement
Credit him? This dude has absolutely dropped the ball in transfer portal. As days go on it seems more and more likely we won't get another grad transfer on the roster. sad

So ... what should the paramount factors be in selecting a new HC when Coach L departs?

1. Increase the budget for Men's BB to point where money is not an impediment to hiring a top-caliber HC who can bring in top-caliber assistants, provide first-rate facilities for the coaching staff and players, and a large travel budget
2-5. First and foremost, target an "Ace Recruiter"
6. Hire a HC who runs an uptempo offense that is attractive to recruits
7. Hire a high-powered PR firm to come up with innovative ways to get butts in the seats at Watsco home games (Oh yeah, scratch that, I forgot we were "sold out")

If this seems "too rich" for UM, keep in mind we're only talking about a dozen or so schollys, a relatively small coaching staff, etc. Costs that are dwarfed by what is put into UM's football program.

Advertisement
So ... what should the paramount factors be in selecting a new HC when Coach L departs?

1. Increase the budget for Men's BB to point where money is not an impediment to hiring a top-caliber HC who can bring in top-caliber assistants, provide first-rate facilities for the coaching staff and players, and a large travel budget
7. Hire a high-powered PR firm to come up with innovative ways to get butts in the seats at Watsco home games (Oh yeah, scratch that, I forgot we were "sold out")

If this seems "too rich" for UM, keep in mind we're only talking about a dozen or so schollys, a relatively small coaching staff, etc. Costs that are dwarfed by what is put into UM's football program.
At this point just give me a good recruiting coach that is a relentless teacher and recruitier...... Oh yeah and a coach that knows how to run a half court offense with LEGIT sets. One more thing, a coach that knows how to draw up some inbound plays to get our non existent offense some clean looks. Sounds like every coach you will find can do those things mentioned above. For whatever reason, L can't or has went against it recently.

Last edited:

I agree with most of your points. Here are my responses and suggestions.

1. Recruit more in-state kids as travel in-state is cheaper than travel to the Northeast and Texas.

2-5. Build relationships with in-state travel teams (NightRydas Elite, Team Breakdown, E1T1, Game Elite to name a few. Those 4 should be the priority). Offer kids in the 9th grade.

6. I agree also but the ball screen offense is effective with all three guards can shoot from 3 and create shots from themselves and others. Penetration into the lane after the ballscreen is key. Working through the post, feeding the post guys and running some high-low with the post guys would be a good wrinkle. Also, press more in the half court and full-court to force tempo.

7. Play more state school to create "rivalries" as a good marketing and sales pitch. Play USF and call if the Battle of South Florida. Play FIU and called it the Miami Cup game. Play UCF and call it the Florida Turnpike game. My point is that it does not take a genius to market a basketball game.

As far as marketing and without sounding racist but given the Latino influence in the city of Miami, Miami needs to have a play of Latino decent on the team. That would definitely get people from the area interested about the program. There are 4 star kids of Latino decent playing basketball.

All of these changes can be done by the current coaching staff if they are not stuck in their ways.

Ithiel Horton is transferring. Not a grad transfer though.

I personally think a grad transfer is better because Miami needs depth this season and the coaches can use the scholarship for the 2020 recruiting class. Shakur Juiston and DJ Williams would be good grad transfer fits.

Stone and Juiston would take minutes away from Wardenburg but competition would be good for the team.

Advertisement
I agree with most of your points. Here are my responses and suggestions.

1. Recruit more in-state kids as travel in-state is cheaper than travel to the Northeast and Texas.

2-5. Build relationships with in-state travel teams (NightRydas Elite, Team Breakdown, E1T1, Game Elite to name a few. Those 4 should be the priority). Offer kids in the 9th grade.

6. I agree also but the ball screen offense is effective with all three guards can shoot from 3 and create shots from themselves and others. Penetration into the lane after the ballscreen is key. Working through the post, feeding the post guys and running some high-low with the post guys would be a good wrinkle. Also, press more in the half court and full-court to force tempo.

7. Play more state school to create "rivalries" as a good marketing and sales pitch. Play USF and call if the Battle of South Florida. Play FIU and called it the Miami Cup game. Play UCF and call it the Florida Turnpike game. My point is that it does not take a genius to market a basketball game.

As far as marketing and without sounding racist but given the Latino influence in the city of Miami, Miami needs to have a play of Latino decent on the team. That would definitely get people from the area interested about the program. There are 4 star kids of Latino decent playing basketball.

All of these changes can be done by the current coaching staff if they are not stuck in their ways.
I can't really disagree with anything you added. All things we could/should be doing. Couple comments:

- Ball screen offense is effective when the 3 pt shooting is "on." Too often though, we live and die by the 3 ball. Especially when the top shot taker (Lykes) only makes 32%. It's like UM in the last 33 years or so (with rare exception of the Larkin-led teams) never heard of pressing or the fast break. Someone on the staff should go to a UNC camp and take some notes. Players and fans like uptempo ball (not to mention it can cover up lack of height up front).

- How often does a Diaz or Clemente come along? Once every 15 years? Maybe (seriously) we should recruit in Spain. Recruits would feel more at home in Miami than just about anywhere else in the US. Maybe Cruz-Uceda could provide some leads? Is there any active recruiting in Puerto Rico? New York City (I'm thinking of All-American Butch Lee in the 70s for any old-timers out there -- Butch, from NYC, might still be the best Hispanic player ever but I'm probably forgetting others).

I can't really disagree with anything you added. All things we could/should be doing. Couple comments:

- Ball screen offense is effective when the 3 pt shooting is "on." Too often though, we live and die by the 3 ball. Especially when the top shot taker (Lykes) only makes 32%. It's like UM in the last 33 years or so (with rare exception of the Larkin-led teams) never heard of pressing or the fast break. Someone on the staff should go to a UNC camp and take some notes. Players and fans like uptempo ball (not to mention it can cover up lack of height up front).

- How often does a Diaz or Clemente come along? Once every 15 years? Maybe (seriously) we should recruit in Spain. Recruits would feel more at home in Miami than just about anywhere else in the US. Maybe Cruz-Uceda could provide some leads? Is there any active recruiting in Puerto Rico? New York City (I'm thinking of All-American Butch Lee in the 70s for any old-timers out there -- Butch, from NYC, might still be the best Hispanic player ever but I'm probably forgetting others).
#1 on his list is ridiculous. We should be recruiting the best players we can regardless where they are from. The cost to recruit out of state players is in insignificant.

You bring up a good point. The ball screen offense does not have to rely on the 3 point shot. When he guard comes off the "ballscreen", his goal should be to create a scoring opportunity in the lane (layup for himself, free throw line jumpshot for himself, layup for the big rolling to the basket, jump shot for the big or kick out for the corner 3). The guard has to read the defense and make his decision at the free throw line. Lykes gets too deep in the lane and that cause his turnovers. The ballscreen offense is ineffective if DJ Vasiljevic or Anthony Mack are trying to create scoring opportunities as they are attached to the 3 point line. This season should be better as Miami now has 4 guards (Lykes, Wong, Beverly and McGusty) who should create those opportunities.

You don't necessary have to go to Puerto Rico or any other latino country or foriegn country to recruit internationally. FIBA has U17-U19 tournaments going on during the summer. Those tournaments are great opportunities for coaches to watch players from multiple countries. Also, Central Pointe Christian School is an all Puerto Rican basketball team in Kissimmee, FL. They have a 2019 4-star guard name Victor Rosa who also plays for the Puerto Rican FIBA U19 team. Also, Andre Curbelo is also on the Puerto Rican FIBA team. He plays in New York at Long Island Lutheran. I have posted information about both of those players in the 2020 recruiting thread. Both would be good additions to the team for the 2020 recruiting class.

Advertisement

I hope Miami has applied for a waiver for Brooks and we have not heard about it. Winning and making the NCAA tournament is the priority this season.

That is the goal every season, not just this one

I am glad you said that. I feel the same way. I read on another thread that Coach L should "take lumps this season" and work toward winning next season. I am completely against that out dated philosophy.

You can take lumps and win in the same year. The new expectation for Miami basketball (men and women) is 20 plus wins, competing for the ACC and making the NCAA tournament at a minimum.

Florida is still active in the transfer portal. They are using all of their scholarships. They already have one sit out transfer and they are looking to add another.

Miami would be better served with two grad transfers.

Advertisement
Back