Transfer Portal - Baseball 2026-27

I don't mind taking a plus athlete rubber arm who can handle multiple roles and show he can stay healthy. An arm who can go 25 times in a season is a reliable option for matchups etc.

Penn State lowered his arm slot, so he now has sink and run. That type isn't going to miss a lot of bats, but typically doesn't allow bombs, either. You see that in the data as Horwat only allowed one HR this past season (which is very valuable in today's guerilla ball era) and only seven in 145.67 IP. I think he's a reliever who matches up with right handed hitters and one of the keys for a reliever is to not give up a lot of HR's if they're going to be leverage guys.

They have lowered his arm angle and he's added muscle to get his velocity to 92-93 mph in short bursts.

Is this a reliever that gets you to Omaha on his own? No, he's not that guy.

That said, the average middle reliever ERA in D1 is 7.17 and the average overall ERA in D1 is 6.48 last I pulled it. He's probably an above average bridge reliever who can go three times a week if you need him to and match up in certain situations. There's some value in a reliable type like that.
I agree a rubber arm is always a valuable asset to a bullpen. 9 times out of 10 sidearmers are ground ball heavy pitchers so for him to maximize his value, we have to significantly upgrade our infield defense for him.
 
And yet. Here we are. Mid ACC results
IMG_5276.jpeg
 
So, it sounds like we have to settle for "projects" or guys coming off TJ w questions marks. Problem is - how are we going to "fix" them when our coaches and players can't seem to even execute the fundamentals?

I'm amazed we haven't heard any rumblings about changes on the staff, etc. What's that definition of insanity: "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results".
Hard to believe we’re not making any coaching changes after witnessing one of the worst defensive and pitching teams in UM history. Hard to believe we’re not making a move at short after that debacle. I guess it’s still early and we’ve got time so we’ll see.
 
He improved this last season (even tho not shown in the ERA).

This one is better than the previous pickup. Its acceptable. I would say this is the lowest level arm we should be taking.
 
How is Miami the only national program that has hard time finding guys that throw 95-96+?

it’s like JD is anemic to velo. They grow on trees these days. And yet we keep stockpiling 90-93, 5-6+ ERA guys.

This ain’t 2005 anymore. Current trek will be JD’s last season in Coral Gables - thankfully. It’s unbelievable and downright criminal to be consistently short on electric, high velo, MLB-caliber arms.
 
How is Miami the only national program that has hard time finding guys that throw 95-96+?

it’s like JD is anemic to velo. They grow on trees these days. And yet we keep stockpiling 90-93, 5-6+ ERA guys.

This ain’t 2005 anymore. Current trek will be JD’s last season in Coral Gables - thankfully. It’s unbelievable and downright criminal to be consistently short on electric, high velo, MLB-caliber arms.
I'm not as in the weeds on college baseball but hasn't this been the knock on JD since like 2006? That he refuses to sign guys that throw hard? It's incredible that he got promoted to the head job and still hasn't adapted to the times.
 
He improved this last season (even tho not shown in the ERA).

This one is better than the previous pickup. Its acceptable. I would say this is the lowest level arm we should be taking.
Even if he keeps the same numbers that he had last season. It will be a hit for us. We didn't have one guy out of the pen with 63k and 23 BB. I also do not mind the Penn State guy after what Lance said.
 


This is someone I'd like us to target, former top-100 player who decommitted from Duke and it came down to us and Auburn last year. 95+ with good frame for more
 
I'm not as in the weeds on college baseball but hasn't this been the knock on JD since like 2006? That he refuses to sign guys that throw hard? It's incredible that he got promoted to the head job and still hasn't adapted to the times.

I'm not a JD fan, but I find it hard to believe he discriminates against hard throwing arms. It reminds me of the (recently retired) joke that Mario hates fast skill players. JD is simply not getting it done, recruiting wise.
 


This is someone I'd like us to target, former top-100 player who decommitted from Duke and it came down to us and Auburn last year. 95+ with good frame for more
If they didn’t target Lantigua then I don’t see him being here either.
 
Even if he keeps the same numbers that he had last season. It will be a hit for us. We didn't have one guy out of the pen with 63k and 23 BB. I also do not mind the Penn State guy after what Lance said.
What did Lance say about the penn state guy, bc i think he is cheeks.
 
Back
Top