Track and field team rankings

Advertisement
Another dumbass thread, another thread hat lacks any kind of nuance or basic research. Ever thought to wonder WHY Miami men's track struggles outside "Everyone sucks and it's a joke that we aren't stomping everyone out?" Ever thought to look at the fact that men's track is an equivalent sport, which means that they are trying to split 11.2 scholarships among on average 30-40 guys? Yes, you can supplement that with football guys, but it's not like 30 years ago when every fast football guy ran track. That is becoming rarer and rarer, because training has changed, and football coaches would rather build track work into football offseason, than losing a guy for track season. Look at last years Top 50 schools at Nationals. There were fewer than 10 private institutions up there, including Miami. Most of those schools were ranked outside the top 30, only Stanford, Harvard and BYU in the top 15. Notice something about STANFORD AND HARVARD? Harvard doesn't give athletic scholarships, but if your family is poor enough, you entire financial need will be met, because their endowment and donor base allows them to make that commitment. Stanford has a similar program, and they also have donors that are extremely committed to Olympic sports. We have to stretch our small donor base to the limit just to meet the needs of the revenue sports, think anyone is chipping in a ton of money to make sure the track program thrives?

I love how people are running around talking about "Why aren't we recruiting the Caribbean", like we aren't. The issue is that 1)You have to find kids good enough to run D1 track, while also having the financial background needed to pay for the bulk of their Miami education. Kids with high end, dominant speed don't need college track, they can easily train full time with their national federation in their home countries, especially places like Jamaica. If they do choose to come stateside, it's a lot easier to justify it, when your family isn't expected to pay 20-30k a year, when there are other programs where that number is 10-12k, even for an out of state student. What people forget is that in most states, there's a way to get instate residency relatively quickly, allowing student athletes to then take advantage of instate resident tuition rates, so the number can be cut even more.

Sacha Baron Cohen Thumbs Up GIF by Amazon Prime Video

Advertisement
Another dumbass thread, another thread hat lacks any kind of nuance or basic research. Ever thought to wonder WHY Miami men's track struggles outside "Everyone sucks and it's a joke that we aren't stomping everyone out?" Ever thought to look at the fact that men's track is an equivalent sport, which means that they are trying to split 11.2 scholarships among on average 30-40 guys? Yes, you can supplement that with football guys, but it's not like 30 years ago when every fast football guy ran track. That is becoming rarer and rarer, because training has changed, and football coaches would rather build track work into football offseason, than losing a guy for track season. Look at last years Top 50 schools at Nationals. There were fewer than 10 private institutions up there, including Miami. Most of those schools were ranked outside the top 30, only Stanford, Harvard and BYU in the top 15. Notice something about STANFORD AND HARVARD? Harvard doesn't give athletic scholarships, but if your family is poor enough, you entire financial need will be met, because their endowment and donor base allows them to make that commitment. Stanford has a similar program, and they also have donors that are extremely committed to Olympic sports. We have to stretch our small donor base to the limit just to meet the needs of the revenue sports, think anyone is chipping in a ton of money to make sure the track program thrives?

I love how people are running around talking about "Why aren't we recruiting the Caribbean", like we aren't. The issue is that 1)You have to find kids good enough to run D1 track, while also having the financial background needed to pay for the bulk of their Miami education. Kids with high end, dominant speed don't need college track, they can easily train full time with their national federation in their home countries, especially places like Jamaica. If they do choose to come stateside, it's a lot easier to justify it, when your family isn't expected to pay 20-30k a year, when there are other programs where that number is 10-12k, even for an out of state student. What people forget is that in most states, there's a way to get instate residency relatively quickly, allowing student athletes to then take advantage of instate resident tuition rates, so the number can be cut even more.
Thank you. I was reading through this whole thread thinking “doesn’t anyone realize how non-revenue scholarships work?” Nobody on a men’s track team is receiving a full athletic scholarship. They split whatever small amount of scholarships they have up to accommodate the roster. UM tuition is outrageous. Anyone running track is still paying a portion of that outrageous price. If you’re a track athlete and you’re getting a half-scholarship offer, you’re likely going to a public school where tuition won’t financially cripple you. In order to run men’s track at UM you have to be fast and rich. It’s not a super common combination. Especially when recruiting kids from Caribbean countries. Maybe some of the football players could participate in track because they’re already going to school for free.

Thank you. I was reading through this whole thread thinking “doesn’t anyone realize how non-revenue scholarships work?” Nobody on a men’s track team is receiving a full athletic scholarship. They split whatever small amount of scholarships they have up to accommodate the roster. UM tuition is outrageous. Anyone running track is still paying a portion of that outrageous price. If you’re a track athlete and you’re getting a half-scholarship offer, you’re likely going to a public school where tuition won’t financially cripple you. In order to run men’s track at UM you have to be fast and rich. It’s not a super common combination. Especially when recruiting kids from Caribbean countries. Maybe some of the football players could participate in track because they’re already going to school for free.
This. All of this! If we recruit more football players that run track in high school, then maybe we can get back to having said athletes on the track team. I believe the track coaches could help our guys get a little faster on the field as well. So it works, hand in hand. With our tuition, its hsrd to find athletes that can foot the rest of tuition that the scholarship don’t cover. Maybe NIL can help out here.

Advertisement
I’m pretty sure it’s actually TVDs fault

soooooo what exactly changed since the 2000s?.

This. All of this! If we recruit more football players that run track in high school, then maybe we can get back to having said athletes on the track team. I believe the track coaches could help our guys get a little faster on the field as well. So it works, hand in hand. With our tuition, its hsrd to find athletes that can foot the rest of tuition that the scholarship don’t cover. Maybe NIL can help out here.

Theres no reason a guy like Malik Curtis shouldnt have been ont he track team his first 2 years.

Especially guys who are shirting they need to be running track,.

I mean two of my homies Jon Beason and Tavares Gooden were linebackers and were on the track team for throws.

Advertisement
soooooo what exactly changed since the 2000s?.
Have you checked the cost of tuition increases over the last 24 years? College isn’t cheap. It’s no coincidence that our baseball program has fallen off since it got too expensive to pay for college also. Non revenue athletes at UM have to be wealthy

Theres no reason a guy like Malik Curtis shouldnt have been ont he track team his first 2 years.

Especially guys who are shirting they need to be running track,.

I mean two of my homies Jon Beason and Tavares Gooden were linebackers and were on the track team for throws.
I agree.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back