Tourney Central (It’s time for ball!)

And did you notice that it didn’t help Washington, Cal, Utah, etc. There wasn’t some special Oregon State clause. Pat Casey convinced kids to go to a nothing program in a nothing city. But we’re rolling out excuses for why Gino can’t get kids to come to a blue blood baseball program.
They put the funds in their program when they saw what was going on. Another kickback from the state probably.

Advertisement
Somehow teams were able to skirt that for quite a few years, no clue how. basically thru 97 that had no impact. Almost exactly at the same time, all of the elite private schools fell off. Us, USC, Stanford, Rice still had a nice run, Vandy, Gt even dipped, it was a private school game sans ASU, Okie st MSU, Texas and a few others. That changed when this became the law of the land. I don't know the semantics of it all, things just don't flip like that for no reason. It was clear we were struggling to get top kids to sign. So a guy that wins titles, a storied program, just falls off and you think just because?

Oh, it absolutely wasn’t “just because”. Two things happened: Jim Morris’ personal life did a 180, and the Turtle Thomas fiasco uncovered some things that the athletic department no longer allowed to happen. Things that had already caused us to be guilty of major violations in the baseball program. We weren’t recruiting like we were before, but it wasn’t because of the 10 year old 11.7 rule.

Oh, it absolutely wasn’t “just because”. Two things happened: Jim Morris’ personal life did a 180, and the Turtle Thomas fiasco uncovered some things that the athletic department no longer allowed to happen. Things that had already caused us to be guilty of major violations in the baseball program. We weren’t recruiting like we were before, but it wasn’t because of the 10 year old 11.7 rule.
We had kids say they chose UF over us because of it, I distinctly remember a couple of top kids saying it. I agree, it was up to us to figure it out and we didn't, until now. Vandy showed the way I'm guessing, let's hope we got it fixed, our recruiting says it is possible.

Advertisement
In regards to Morris, the 2011 class could have been the best of all time. I mean we knew we wouldn't get any of them, but my gosh that class was loaded. That set him back for sure, very Cokerish.

We had kids say they chose UF over us because of it, I distinctly remember a couple of top kids saying it. I agree, it was up to us to figure it out and we didn't, until now. Vandy showed the way I'm guessing, let's hope we got it fixed, our recruiting says it is possible.

I’ve been ridiculed by the superfans, but one of my biggest criticisms has been that Gino relies on Perfect Game profiles and his relationships with local travel ball coaches to do his recruiting. Knowing our disadvantage, you have to GRIND on the recruiting trail, and we haven’t done that.

I’ve been ridiculed by the superfans, but one of my biggest criticisms has been that Gino relies on Perfect Game profiles and his relationships with local travel ball coaches to do his recruiting. Knowing our disadvantage, you have to GRIND on the recruiting trail, and we haven’t done that.
Well as a former aau/babe ruth coach, I loved coaches coming and asking our opinions. I tried my best to sell Miami to kids Haha. It wasn't near as bad as aau basketball coaching being asked to recruit the kids for them, I get what you're saying though. He shouldn't have to travel very far to secure talent. We played some florida teams, and I know florida gets all the love for football, the baseball down there, at every level, is phenomenal. We had some loaded teams that got waxed. Even destroyed one kids future that was projected top 15 or so. Never was the same.

Advertisement
It’s because they have good coaching now. Coaching wins in college baseball
Definitely part of it, when they saw the opening for baseball, and really it doesn't require that much funding for a top notch baseball program, the big state schools pounced. I've always just assumed they got kickbacks from the state. UNC, NCSU both redid their entire parks right after this happened. Maybe they just opened up their athletic budgets more for baseball than ever before, no clue, this was the catalyst though. Why stay at a program that is harder to recruit, more trouble, less funding, etc.

Definitely part of it, when they saw the opening for baseball, and really it doesn't require that much funding for a top notch baseball program, the big state schools pounced. I've always just assumed they got kickbacks from the state. UNC, NCSU both redid their entire parks right after this happened. Maybe they just opened up their athletic budgets more for baseball than ever before, no clue, this was the catalyst though. Why stay at a program that is harder to recruit, more trouble, less funding, etc.

It is a colossal disadvantage. If we hit on more than 3/4s of our recruits, then it does not matter. The class with Abreu and Collins is a great example of that.

If we lose our top recruit due to homesickness, it is a big problem, but it then becomes a huge problem when your best player goes down in the middle of the season (2017). Look at our record in 2018 with and without our best batter............

It markedly impacts depth. UF and FSU only need to hit on 40%-50% of their class....

For 2020 and 2021, it seems that Gino is actively ameliorating this hindrance, but it is akin to losing at least ~3 scholarships per year vis-a-vis your main competitors (i.e. a $193,880 differential at $65,000 per year). Any elite player choosing UM over UF / FSU is assuming $150,000 more in debt. Collins, Abreu, McMahon, Lala, del Castillo were comfortable with that because they foresee millions in signing bonuses, but others cannot fathom such an alternative!

FYI, there are things called financial aid and academic scholarships. Our players aren’t taking on anywhere near that amount of debt.

Advertisement
"He hit .330 and was drafted out of HS"

What he did in HS and what he did in the ACC doesn't mean diddly squat in the regional. He had a chance to live up to his resume' and didn't.

"He was 4-14 (.286). I don't understand the point you're trying to make."

But did any of those 4 hits come at a crucial time during the games? It was obvious the opposing teams knew his weakness and how to pitch to him. If our coach could not see this, then they aren't paying attention. Just because we feasted on CM's and Southern U's pitching didn't mean a lot when we actually played a team with better athletes.

Coulda, Woulda, Shoulda

"He hit .330 and was drafted out of HS"

What he did in HS and what he did in the ACC doesn't mean diddly squat in the regional. He had a chance to live up to his resume' and didn't.

"He was 4-14 (.286). I don't understand the point you're trying to make."

But did any of those 4 hits come at a crucial time during the games? It was obvious the opposing teams knew his weakness and how to pitch to him. If our coach could not see this, then they aren't paying attention. Just because we feasted on CM's and Southern U's pitching didn't mean a lot when we actually played a team with better athletes.

Coulda, Woulda, Shoulda

This is beyond the pale....... When a (previously drafted) freshman bats 0.330 in the ACC, he is indisputably a great recruit............

You overplayed your troll hand! Good try, though.

This is beyond the pale....... When a (previously drafted) freshman bats 0.330 in the ACC, he is indisputably a great recruit............

You can be a great recruit AND be overwhelmed by SEC pitching. He was overwhelmed.

And there's the troll thing again. If you're not celebrating a regional second place finish, then you must be a troll.

Advertisement

I don't know if you play poker. Some that do overplay their hand by chasing. They want the dealer to give them a card that gives them a Flush or a Straight. They keep betting on every turn of a new card, just hoping. The percentages are strongly against them. What do you call them besides a chaser, try loser.

From what I understand, when DiMare put Gates in the lineup he was chasing. He was hoping Gates would bail him out. As we witnessed, Gates was not the card he needed. But like the gamblers who keep chasing that card which will win them a big pot, DiMare didn't learn his lesson and kept betting on Gates. He not only lose his bet, he may have lost the more than just a couple games. The Big Pot was getting to a Super Regional. He fell short.

What he batted in the ACC doesn't matter. Being drafted doesn't mean he will ever make it to the big club. What matters is what he did in the regionals. That is on film and will follow him the rest of his Baseball career. It would be really interesting to see if he would be drafted as high this year as last year. Also if the money they offered would be as much as the last offer.

As far as being a troll, watch out when crossing a bridge. We like to hide and jump out and scare you when you least expect it.

I don't know if you play poker. Some that do overplay their hand by chasing. They want the dealer to give them a card that gives them a Flush or a Straight. They keep betting on every turn of a new card, just hoping. The percentages are strongly against them. What do you call them besides a chaser, try loser.

From what I understand, when DiMare put Gates in the lineup he was chasing. He was hoping Gates would bail him out. As we witnessed, Gates was not the card he needed. But like the gamblers who keep chasing that card which will win them a big pot, DiMare didn't learn his lesson and kept betting on Gates. He not only lose his bet, he may have lost the more than just a couple games. The Big Pot was getting to a Super Regional. He fell short.

What he batted in the ACC doesn't matter. Being drafted doesn't mean he will ever make it to the big club. What matters is what he did in the regionals. That is on film and will follow him the rest of his Baseball career. It would be really interesting to see if he would be drafted as high this year as last year. Also if the money they offered would be as much as the last offer.

As far as being a troll, watch out when crossing a bridge. We like to hide and jump out and scare you when you least expect it.

Utilizing Gates was a smart move based on his 0.330 average. Using Crosbie made zero sense. UM has a history of making heroes out of ordinary players in the post-season (Ellena, Jimerson), so maybe Di Mare decided that Crosbie "was due".

Gates played very well this season, but batted poorly yesterday.

Gates season average is irrelevant. The relevant metric is how he did against elite relievers pumping 95. I’m guessing it wasn’t .330.

Anyone watching the Supers?

Duke is thumping #2 Vandy 17-5 lol! Only 1 game but pretty impressive hopefully the ACC shows up this weekend minus FSU

Advertisement
Back