TOS article Randy Melvin strong DL candidate

Advertisement
Advertisement
"They failed to execute basic defensive line stunts properly and many blitzes appeared to be poorly coordinated, failing to produce free rushers despite numerical advantages."

http://www.bucsnation.com/2013/1/16/3885030/buccaneers-fire-defensive-line-coach-randy-melvin

Good find. That article is mostly based off the work of Stephen White found here: http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/10/31/5037956/tampa-bay-buccaneers-mike-glennon-vincent-jackson-defense-darrelle-revis

^ The section that's relevant to Melvin (and Greg Schiano) is under the subheading "the Defense". Basically the Bucs defense had a lot of talent but Schiano/Sheridan/Melvin would blitz and stunt all game every game with no rhyme or reason, leading to constant breakdowns. Obviously Grohlden and Dorito are a lot more conservative with their calls but when they do opt for a stunt or blitz it's often hilariously poorly conceived and executed.

As my avatar indicates I'm fed up with these stubborn buffoons plaguing my favorite football teams, so as a Bucs fan it drives me nuts seeing these incompetent former Bucs coaches (Schiano & Melvin) being tossed around as candidates for my Canes. With both teams it's been a never-ending downward spiral since about 2002. Someone has to make it stop.

Love how one kid makes pro they give the coach credit for his development, but not for the entire line sucking as a unit or the lack of development of the other 10 DLinemen.

Terrible. I wonder what the heck Belichek and Schiano saw in him?

Folden couldn't steal a recruit he wanted from FIU. Maybe he can steal a Corch from them.

He already flexed on Charlie Fartlips at FAU on signing day. Time to own FIU and reestablish power over them.

Advertisement
Meanwhile in big time programs, they steal successful coaches from other big time programs.... We go after temple and FIU guys.....
That should say enough about where this ship is headed....

Why would any coach of relevance want a job on a lame duck staff that will be promptly dismantled in November?

Literally could kill a career.

I understand the Temple ties are troubling...but does the fact that he interviewed and then was hired by the greatest defensive mind of our generation count for anything?

Don't know him from a can of paint, but if Belicheck will have you on his staff, how awful can the guy be?

Advertisement
I understand the Temple ties are troubling...but does the fact that he interviewed and then was hired by the greatest defensive mind of our generation count for anything?

Don't know him from a can of paint, but if Belicheck will have you on his staff, how awful can the guy be?

Charlie-Weis-is-leaving-KC.jpg

I agree... if you have been apart of that Belicheck, Nick Saban Coaching Tree, it might not be that bad.... those guys are usually successful... they knw Coaching

Weiss is a great Coordinator, but horrible coach... you dnt necessarily have to be a HC to be successful... I.E. Kirby Smart, Bud Foster, **** Lane Kiffin is a perfect example

Last edited:
Advertisement

guys like weiss and crennel were awful HC but are exceptional coordinators.

Weiss is a great Coordinator, but horrible coach...

That's why his last to OC jobs were one and done right?

One n done because of opportunities or new head coach coming in...... Muschamp wanted to keep him at Florida, but Kansas came offering him the Head Coaching job and he took it...

Advertisement
Back