Torrance Gibson Semifinal Highlights

We offered Gibson two summers ago

As a QB? I know we have been recruiting him since the 8th grade, but we gave him a commitable offer at QB 2 years ago? I find that hard to believe. Kids say sh8t like that, and I know we have been recruiting the kid since he was like in 8th grade, but there is a difference between that and having a committable offer as a QB.

Advertisement
Between Olsen and Kaaya we should be good (****ing hope so anyway) one will take the spot and one will transfer. This kid can come in and develop.

We shall see. I honestly dont think we will offer him at QB. I think we may offer him as an athlete. If we didnt offer Treon Harris at QB, I dont see why we would offer Gibson. I mean I could be wrong, Coley seems to like having some mobile guys around, Rozier being a good example, but I just dont think the staff will put the full court press on this kid. I could be wrong though.

Not saying you're wrong at all. Could be spot on.

Not sure what we will see from Coley as an OC, if he sticks around. Obviously Kaaya is a pro style kid but I'm not sure if he's married to that concept or not. He has to understand, same as most fans do, that SFLA is loaded with these types of kids and it might be in his best interests to play to that.

As a QB? I know we have been recruiting him since the 8th grade, but we gave him a commitable offer at QB 2 years ago? I find that hard to believe. Kids say sh8t like that, and I know we have been recruiting the kid since he was like in 8th grade, but there is a difference between that and having a committable offer as a QB.

They offered him as a qb at the Al golden camp in 2012, and reaffirmed the offer at junior day, early January, in 2013. As a qb.

Between Olsen and Kaaya we should be good (****ing hope so anyway) one will take the spot and one will transfer. This kid can come in and develop.

We shall see. I honestly dont think we will offer him at QB. I think we may offer him as an athlete. If we didnt offer Treon Harris at QB, I dont see why we would offer Gibson. I mean I could be wrong, Coley seems to like having some mobile guys around, Rozier being a good example, but I just dont think the staff will put the full court press on this kid. I could be wrong though.

Not saying you're wrong at all. Could be spot on.

Not sure what we will see from Coley as an OC, if he sticks around. Obviously Kaaya is a pro style kid but I'm not sure if he's married to that concept or not. He has to understand, same as most fans do, that SFLA is loaded with these types of kids and it might be in his best interests to play to that.

Thing is that South Florida has ALWAYS been loaded with these types of kids. We still found the QBs we needed to fit our system, it just wasnt local kids, they dont seem to pan out here. Coley may like mobile QBs, and Im ok with that, but there is a difference between a mobile QB, and a kid that is really just a phenomenal RB playing QB. Those situations are more suited to a read option type offense like what Meyer runs.

But hey, I could be wrong. I mean Im positive we will offer him at a MINIMUM as an athlete, and maybe even as a QB, I just dont know how much time we would put into him. He doesnt seem like a good fit for our offense, unless we totally changed our offensive philosophy. I know a lot of people cant seem to get their heads around that, but this kid really doesnt seem like a good fit as a QB here. If he is willing to consider another position, then I say go HAM for him.

They offered him as a qb at the Al golden camp in 2012, and reaffirmed the offer at junior day, early January, in 2013. As a qb.

Oh well. So it is I guess. Still dont see the kid coming here. Have read on a number of boards from people that say they know the program that the kid really doesnt have much interest in us. Honestly wont be heartbroken, not if he's insisting on playing QB. Yes he has great upside, but just does not seem like a good fit for our offense. Jacory's passing highlights were much better than this kids.

Advertisement
The upside to having Olsen and Kaaya on board is we would have 3-4 years to develop him. Red shirt him and work with him until he's ready. By the time he's a RS Jr or RS Sr we may have another phenom type QB on our hands and that's why I would take him

Oh well. So it is I guess. Still dont see the kid coming here. Have read on a number of boards from people that say they know the program that the kid really doesnt have much interest in us. Honestly wont be heartbroken, not if he's insisting on playing QB. Yes he has great upside, but just does not seem like a good fit for our offense. Jacory's passing highlights were much better than this kids.

He has interest in Miami, but I think he sees that OSU is a better fit if he wants to play qb. I know for a fact the kid likes Miami. Not sure why many posters on here have deemed him the 'savior'. I disagree with that proclamation for two reasons

1. Right now he's an ELITE athlete with a great arm playing qb. He isn't asked to do much in their offense. Doesn't go through a lot of reads, and when he has to he struggles. Not the quickest thinker. Accuracy is not there yet. White and Harris are much better passers than him. Still adjusting to playing qb, he hasn't a played a full year of qb since 8th grade. I do see the tremendous upside like everyone else tho. I just have my concerns.

2. The last two years, Miami has reeled in two top ten qbs in Kaaya and Olsen. Lets say Williams starts in 2014, and Gibson signs with us. With what he has shown us so far, does Gibson really look like he can come in June and beat out Kaaya + Olsen? So if Olsen or Kaaya became the starter in 2015, which is inevitable, Gibson will have around 3 years of developing before it's his turn. The year would be 2018. I can't call anyone a savior that will not be starting until five more years.

With the pickups of Kaaya and Olsen, an elite qb in 2015 is not vital. Continuing to build on our front 7 depth from the 2014 class is way more important. With the wrs and DBs in 2015, we should be able to compliment the receivers and corners of the 2014 class, which imo, is the weakest part of a strong 2014 class. If we strike out on Cook + Michel, Miami NEEDS (very badly) a bigger back in 2015.

I'm not saying don't take Gibson. By no means. I will still take him as a qb and let him develop. If qb doesn't work out, he's an all world WR & started safety for heritage previously to qb. I just don't get why he's being called the savior.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol@ people telling him to switch positions in order to come here .

You'll be crying when he's playing in title games at Auburn or OSU*.

Advertisement

We offered him at QB a long time ago.

This is a kid we just have to get on campus. He's can be a difference maker at multiple positions if QB doesn't work out.

He's athletic but I don't see him bring athletic enough to be a star at other positions qb is where he should stay would be a goood project

Advertisement
I don't want to see some gimmicky, spread offense here at Miami. This isn't Baylor, Oregon, we should be recruiting Pro-Style QB's, who play from the pocket and have Elite accuracy....I didn't see much accuracy from that tape just a lot of running around from Gibson

I don't want to see some gimmicky, spread offense here at Miami. This isn't Baylor, Oregon, we should be recruiting Pro-Style QB's, who play from the pocket and have Elite accuracy....I didn't see much accuracy from that tape just a lot of running around from Gibson

Since 86/87 I've had similar thoughts in my head-of what a Miami QB & offense should look like- Not anymore. If winning the Chip means spread offense,I don't even care nowadays.

That's all well and good, but are we going to adopt Urban Meyer's offense to do it? Are we going to change our entire offensive philosophy because of one PROSPECT? OSU and Auburn already have that system, they know it and run it well, they have the personnel for it, we dont.

Advertisement

Since 86/87 I've had similar thoughts in my head-of what a Miami QB & offense should look like- Not anymore. If winning the Chip means spread offense,I don't even care nowadays.

But again, that requires a wholesale changing of an offense. You need to bring in the personnel for it, and have an OC that knows how to run it well, and position coaches that know how to teach it. You dont just take a pro style offense and become a read option spread gimmick offense overnight. Personally Im not a huge fan of it. The reason that system has traditionally been used is because of teams lacking talent. You have a few guys with talent, and the system is built around them doing everything. Obviously it has had some success in the last few years, but not consistently. What are we going to do with 4 and 5 star running backs, receivers and TEs when your whole system is geared to having a QB running around all the time? And what happens when that QB gets hurt?

Im not saying Im 100% against the idea, but its not just a simple switch, and its not a system to showcase elite skill players outside of your QB and maybe one other guy. Like I said in the many Dixon threads, as inconsistent as Morris was this year, Hurns still had almost TWICE as many receiving yards this season as OSU's best WR. TWICE.

That's all well and good, but are we going to adopt Urban Meyer's offense to do it? Are we going to change our entire offensive philosophy because of one PROSPECT? OSU and Auburn already have that system, they know it and run it well, they have the personnel for it, we dont.

Has WTH posted even ONE positive or even neutral post? He does have imagination though, to constantly think of different negative things to say.

Has WTH posted even ONE positive or even neutral post? He does have imagination though, to constantly think of different negative things to say.

If you wanna suck my ****, do it right. I'm positive as ****, you weirdo. **** like you get all sad when people aren't homers.

You don't let a superstar like Gibson walk away. You adapt to his skills.

That's the whole point....so yes. He is not a Pro QB. He's a spread duel threat type that can hurt you through the air or Bury you with his feet.

Advertisement
Back