Topps and Fanatics partner with Miami for first EVER NIL trading card program

Advertisement
I used to have 100’s of NFL cards. Lost them in moves and a divorce war. Worked in a U-Totem when I was 11-12 years old and would buy the new sets as soon as they came out. The flat piece of gum that was in the package was no Double Bubble.

I thought even back then it would great to be able to get college player cards. I’ll look forward to seeing these new cards when they’re released.

The crown jewel of my 1980s NFL card collection...

71KsBSYcYnL._AC_SY445_.jpg

I used to have 100’s of NFL cards. Lost them in moves and a divorce war. Worked in a U-Totem when I was 11-12 years old and would buy the new sets as soon as they came out. The flat piece of gum that was in the package was no Double Bubble.

I thought even back then it would great to be able to get college player cards. I’ll look forward to seeing these new cards when they’re released.

What did they make that gum out of, cardboard? It seemed to have the same consistency.

Advertisement
What did they make that gum out of, cardboard? It seemed to have the same consistency.
Tasted like cardboard too and was hard as rock most of the time. It wasn’t wrapped and would be chalky. First thing I did when I opened a new pack was toss it in the trash or offer it to some unsuspecting dummy that thought I was being generous giving them a piece of gum.

I still have a significant portion of my card collection as a kid. The prize was/is a Jerry Rice rookie card. It’s not in good shape, but he was my favorite player.

I would’ve given an arm to have been able to collect college football cards. This is incredibly cool.
My Football collection isn’t as vast as my Basketball collection.

But I have 3 Jerry Rice’s, one from Wildcard, Upper Deck & Score 2000
- Two Barry Sanders from Fleer Ultra & Impact Skybox
- Two John Elway’s a 91 Upper Deck & 92 Fleer Ultra
- Chris Carter from Upper Deck (95)
- Rookie Marvin Harrison Upper Deck Holographic & 2000 Leaf
- Rookie Steve McNair from Topps
- 95 Dan Marino from EDGE
- Junior Seau Upper Deck
- Rookie Ricky Williams from Upper Deck
- Marshall Faulk Bowmans 95
- Curtis Martin Upper Deck SPX

I even have a rookie JJ Stokes too lol

My Basketball card collection is pretty nice, I don’t have as extensive of a collection as professional collectors, mainly because I stopped collecting by the time I was in High school, but in my childhood I was able to snag some pretty good cards.

- I have over two dozen Michael Jordans, no rookie card though, but multiple playoff& NBA finals performance cards from Upper Deck & a few Flair showcase cards of his as well
- My prized possession BBall card; Rookie Kobe Bryant Upper Deck SPX. He was my favorite player so that card means a lot to me
- Chris Webber rookie from Upper Deck & Fleer
- Alonzo Mourning rookie from Fleer
- Skybox Shaquille O’Neal
- Isaiah Thomas Skybox 89
- Glenn Robinson rookie from Skybox
- Jason Kidd rookie Fleer
- Shawn Kemp rookie Upper Deck & Fleer
- Mitch Richmond rookie Fleer
- Derrick Coleman rookie Skybox
- Reggie Miller rookie NBA Hoops
- Kevin Johnson rookie Skybox
- Allen Iverson rookie Upper Deck

I could go, but I got several hundred BBall cards, I don’t think any of are worth a dime, but I definitely love that I’ve kept them for all these years lol

My Baseball card collection is trash, it’s just a bunch of O-Pee-Chee cards of 80’s-90’s & guys lol

Although I do have a rookie Hideo Nomo! Lol

- Junior Seau Upper Deck

My Basketball card collection is pretty nice, I don’t have as extensive of a collection as professional collectors, mainly because I stopped collecting by the time I was in High school, but in my childhood I was able to snag some pretty good cards.

- I have over two dozen Michael Jordans, no rookie card though, but multiple playoff& NBA finals performance cards from Upper Deck & a few Flair showcase cards of his as well
- My prized possession BBall card; Rookie Kobe Bryant Upper Deck SPX. He was my favorite player so that card means a lot to me

I could go, but I got several hundred BBall cards, I don’t think any of are worth a dime, but I definitely love that I’ve kept them for all these years lol

My Baseball card collection is trash, it’s just a bunch of O-Pee-Chee cards of 80’s-90’s & guys lol

That is an amazing collection, pretty much the same era I grew up in. My heyday might’ve been a few years earlier.

You need to find a Jim Drunkenmiller to go with that JJ Stokes!

Advertisement

- Junior Seau Upper Deck

We didn’t have as many choices in the late 60’s early 70’s. If memory serves me, there was only one manufacturer. As the collector card business grew, so did the suppliers.

From another site:

Beginning as early as 2023, the list will include Georgia, Kentucky, Miami, Oregon and Wisconsin.

Some entering in 2025 are Alabama, Clemson, Florida, Florida State, Kansas, LSU, Penn State, Tennessee and Texas A&M.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I got into card collecting about the time the market got over saturated in the early 90’s. Although I do have some fairly valuable cards from as far back as the late 1960’s (I found an old cigar box full of my Uncle’s baseball cards when I was a kid) I still have a majority of my collection in binders and other protective cases. Along with my comic books.

Advertisement
Back