Top JUCO CB Dean has Miami ties

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
JDean.jpg

Miami is after one of the top junior college cornerbacks in the country, Jhavonte Dean. The 6-2, 180-pound CB is originally from Homestead, Florida and graduated from South Dade high school in 2015 where he won a state title. Now at Blinn JUCO in Texas, he is on his way to an even bigger school.

Dean signed with Cincinnati a year and a half ago, but was not able to qualify directly out of high school. It turned out to be a blessing in disguise though, as Dean has blossomed into a highly coveted cornerback target for some top programs.

“Coming out of high school, I was supposed to go to Cincinnati, but my SAT scores didn’t meet the requirements. The DB coach there ended up placing me here,” said Dean.

“It humbled me a lot because I was not heavily recruited when I was in high school and now that big schools are interested in me, it’s big ups to me and it humbles me. If it wasn't for my DB coach at Cincinnati, I don’t know where I’d be.”

Alabama, Florida, and Miami have all offered Dean. That has not changed his fiber as a player.

“I’ve never been a talker. You’ll never find me talking to a receiver after a play or bragging because that could get taken away in a second with an injury or something. I just like to play ball.”

Dean was reluctant to name any favorites in his recruitment even though he said he plans on committing in September.

“As of now, all schools are recruiting me so it’s tough to give you a top list or anything like that. I’m still doing the research on the schools that can help me grow as a player on-and-off the field,” said Dean.

There is one factor that definitely sticks out above all to the speedy corner from down south.

“To be honest, I probably look at the depth chart situation every other day because I’m so concerned with what I have in front of me. I need to know who is leaving and all of that. That will be a big thing for me to come in and play right away because I’m a JUCO player and I need to be able to play right away.”

Miami does have something in their favor being the hometown school. There are a few guys at Miami that he knows very well.

“Cedrick Wright, Joseph Jackson, and Dionte Mullins…we were all teammates with the Florida City Razorbacks back in the day so we all know how each other play,” said Dean.

Dean is still in the process of connecting with the Canes coaches, as Miami offered only a couple weeks back.

“Coach Baez was the one who called me and told me about the offer, so hopefully I can get to know the DB coaches a little better over there,” he said.

“Obviously things didn’t work out when Al Golden was the coach and he got the boot, but I know that Mark Richt came from a winning program from Georgia and you can see that he knows what he’s doing. I’m with what he’s doing to get Miami back on track and get them with some Ws again this season,” said Dean.

Dean also called recent 2018 Miami commit D.J. Ivey, “his little brother”. Ivey goes to South Dade, which is where Dean went.

Advertisement
Well, if starting right away & PT is a big factor for him, he needs to eliminate Bama off his list.
With Sheffield, Humphrey & Fitzpatrick he definitely isn't going to be starting right away for them.
Plus, Bama has also offered JUCO CB Steven Montac from Coffeyville CC, so basically they really don't give a **** about you.
By August, we'll be getting Maurice Smith who had the same problem that many of their players have of being promised the world, then never actually getting an opportunity to see the field.
It sounds like he really wants to be a Cane, I think we can land him by pitching him on he idea of taking over after Elder leaves & helping the young guys maturate.
I hope Rumph, Banda & Diaz show this kid some love, get Wright, JJackson, Ivey & Deejay on it and make him feel at home.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Pete, you're dominating the trail out there, and we appreciate it.

Sounds like we've got a good shot at the kid. Happy to be in it for so many quality players these days. Back to recruiting without our ****s tucked between our legs.

Would be one our biggest cbs get in the 2017 class . Immediate impact in a position of need for us until others develop into ballers .

Well, if starting right away & PT is a big factor for him, he needs to eliminate Bama off his list.
With Sheffield, Humphrey & Fitzpatrick he definitely isn't going to be starting right away for them.
Plus, Bama has also offered JUCO CB Steven Montac from Coffeyville CC, so basically they really don't give a **** about you.
By August, we'll be getting Maurice Smith who had the same problem that many of their players have of being promised the world, then never actually getting an opportunity to see the field.
It sounds like he really wants to be a Cane, I think we can land him by pitching him on he idea of taking over after Elder leaves & helping the young guys maturate.
I hope Rumph, Banda & Diaz show this kid some love, get Wright, JJackson, Ivey & Deejay on it and make him feel at home.

I agree and it would seem as though Miami is his best opportunity. Get him on campus around Wright, Jackson, and hopefully Mullins then schedule Ivey be on campus that day.

[MENTION=3894]Peter Ariz[/MENTION] [MENTION=13955]Zbrod95[/MENTION] How good is this kid? How would you rate him as a prospect? Also, when would he be eligible to play and for how long?

I agree and it would seem as though Miami is his best opportunity. Get him on campus around Wright, Jackson, and hopefully Mullins then schedule Ivey be on campus that day.

[MENTION=3894]Peter Ariz[/MENTION] [MENTION=13955]Zbrod95[/MENTION] How good is this kid? How would you rate him as a prospect? Also, when would he be eligible to play and for how long?

Throw in a hand job in by a beautiful home town chick

Advertisement

Throw in a hand job in by a beautiful home town chick

With the option to upgrade to a ********. #Boats&Hoes

Last edited:
Was this kid considered a good prospect in high school? Don't remember the name.

Advertisement

[MENTION=2023]FrancisSaywer[/MENTION] Well i found this kid by chance a week before we offered and I personally thought he could start right now

Here's the thread:

https://www.canesinsight.com/thread/juco-cb-recruit-um-jhavonte-dean/99347

Last edited:

[MENTION=2023]FrancisSaywer[/MENTION] Well i found this kid by chance a week before we offered and I personally thought he could start right now

Here's the thread:

I remember you posting that now that you mention it. Good call Z. You think we land this kid?

Advertisement
Love his height speed ratio and the maturity he will bring to the position after having to go the Juco route already.

Here's the thread:

I remember you posting that now that you mention it. Good call Z. You think we land this kid?

I think we definitely can, if playing time really matters then Bama shouldn't be a major player which leaves us and UF

@Peter Ariz @Zbrod95 How good is this kid? How would you rate him as a prospect? Also, when would he be eligible to play and for how long?
@FrancisSaywer Well i found this kid by chance a week before we offered and I personally thought he could start right now

Here's the thread:

Major props for that Zbrod.

[MENTION=14457]Liberty City El[/MENTION]

He isn't the first one, I was banging the table for Nick Brahms for like a month before we offered

Advertisement
Back