Top 5 UM recruiting busts in the last 20 years (Long)

Jassid82

Senior
Premium
With all the hype going on surrounding these 17-18 year old (**** and sometimes 14-15 yr old) kids I figured I would take this time to bring us all back down to earth for a second. Yes. I am guilty of it too. Depending on these kids to pan out and bring us back to national relevancy. Hoping not only that these kids wear the "U Swag" hat on NSD but ALSO turn out to be as good as we had hoped. So without further ado..Let me introduce to you my Top 5 UM recruiting bust of the last 20 years. These were kids that were labeled, "Cant Miss" or "Will bring UM back to prominence", "Once in a decade", "Certified 3 and done kid". And when it was all said and done they broke our hearts and turned out to be certified busts..(Feel free to add on some names that you think should be on list and why.)..

5) Ryan Clement - Who can forget the Colorado kid? This kid had SUPER SWAG. Certified Stud. I remember watching him on the ESPN All American game and was thinking, "***** the sanctions! This kid is gonna be the goods!" Came in with Scott Covington and the word was whomever lost the QB battle would transfer. Well, Ryan won it. And when you look back at it..We probably had wished Scott did. Not only was Clement not very good but he made alot of disrespectful comments in the process. (Remember after a loss when he said, "Well if it wasnt for the guys before us getting us put on probation we might not be as bad as we are.") I am parapharing of course. But that rubbed ALOT of alumni the wrong way. I think Ray Lewis basically told him to shut his mouth and stop making excuses. Ryan went on to have an unmemorable career here and it was Scott Covington who got us back on track 98-99'. Never forget when they carried him off the field after the UCLA win. Meanwhile, Ryan isnt even allowed at Greentree from what I've heard. Smh.

4) Tyrone "The Traitor" Moss - Not only was Tmoss a legend in Pompano but he was cant miss since he was in the 10th grade. Kinda like Jordan Scarlett or Joseph Yearby. This dude was BALLIN every chance he got. Had legs like tree trunks and had legit speed. Broke the Broward county rushing record. Led Ely to the state title and came to UM ready to be given the torch that JJ/EJ/Portis/Wmac/Najeh/and Gore once had. Well..things didnt turn out like we had hoped. Tmoss started out on fire. But after he got hurt..He got fat and was rendered useless.Lost all motivation. Got cut from rookie camp. (didnt even know that was possible at the time.) And to add insult to injury..He is a snitch. Instead of him enjoying NFL riches like he should be..He works as a valet at the Hard Rock in Hollywood where the story goes his car got really phucked up after he turned snitch. We had high hopes for Tmoss. I guess he just couldnt jump that high. Smh.

3) The Northwestern 8/Booker T 3 - Im putting all 11 guys on trial here. (I will give Sean Spence a pass.) But the other 10 gotta stand trial for there misdeeds to the U. You talk about HIGH HOPES. I remember watching the MNW boys in the 11th grade and just knew we had arrived. Aldarius was a monster and so was Forston. BW was mauling cats. BHarris and Pimp/DJ were men amongst boys. Who didnt think these kids would bring us back???? The hype grew after they all won the state titles. They arrived here with more expectations as a Cane class in our history. And maybe that was there downfall. I often wonder what if we had only taken 5-6 out of the group instead of 11. Or if Al Golden had been there coach instead of Randy. What if huh? We all know how this story turned out so no use in beating a dead horse. But I still cant understand how out of 11 that only 2-3 of them actually panned out. (Spence,Bharris, and maybe BW) Goes to show Talent aint everything.

2) Willie Williams - Willie has been talked about alot but the newbies who say that MT6 was better then WW just werent around to see this guy in 04-05'. If you did you wouldnt even disrespect the guys name like that. WW was the definition of a once in a decade HS recruit. I dont care if he was a year older then everyone. Which is what the naysayers will say. WW was just an absolute recking machine. Singlehandly won the state title for Carol City by breaking the other teams QBs arm or leg. WW was Lawrence Taylor on the HS level. When he signed with UM I thought we were on our way back to having the #1 Defense in the country JUST BY HAVING HIM! Well..We should have known better after the UF recruiting incident. And the double digit arrests. WW just couldnt get it together here. Maybe Randy used him wrong. Maybe he should have been a "Jarvis Jones" type player here. Randy was deadset on having this guy be a true LB. Who knows..All i know is that he was a total waste of talent. He and Patrick Peterson were the only two guys I saw in HS in the last 10 years I can honestly say that there parents could have put the Mercedes Benz on layaway cuz they will be 3 and done, 1st rounders. What a shame. Now he is in jail giving advice to his cousin or nephew Jermaine Grace. Telling him what not to do. Cuz he **** sure is an expert at it..

1) Jammi "Mutha F'n German - JAMMI GERMAN!! Will never forget this name EVER. He was every adjective you could describe about a prospect. He even had a legend. That he ran a 4.12 at the Nike camp. Won USA DPOY his senior year AND HE WAS BETTER AT WR!! (Think about that for a second) He came along the perfect time because we had just lost the Ruthless Posse. And he was gonna be our #1 guy. And guess what..HE DIDNT REDSHIRT! And that was UNHEARD of back in 93'. Had a solid freshmen year. And monster sophomore year. Never forget Drew Rosenhaus and his brother sitting in the grass, sipping wine coolers, with there stunna shades on at Greentree during Fall ball in 94' literally scouting Jammi and Warren Sapp. Lol! Those dudes WANTED everyone to know they were there. Yeah, things were really relaxed back in those days. Could you imagine that now? LMAO. Anyway, Jammi just couldnt live up to the hype. Lost to UM baseball player Ryan Grimmett in a foot race and it was all down hill from there. LimoGate ended his career here. (Remember the 7-8-9 boys? Smh.What could have been?) He had a few years in the league but just didnt live up to the hype. Was supposed to be the GOAT at WR here. Heisman candidate. Had all the tools. Was a 5 tool guy at the WR position. But didnt give us much here.

Well there it is. I know it was long as ****. But sometimes we need to remember that nothing is for certain. Any thoughts or rebuttals are welcome.

Advertisement
The ones that **** me off most are the 11 guys from no. 3, no doubt in my mind with a semi competent coach, they would've reached the NC

Last edited:
Lol Ryan Clement became the President of my highschool, his alma mater, for a year. Total ****bag. Hope he gets hit by a bus. I ripped down his picture in our school's little Hall of Fame in our athletic facility that recognizes any kids that go D1 (sad, I know, but it's Colorado athletics we're talking about) on the last day of school.

Edit: Oh and he also fired the greatest Colorado high school football coach because Dave Logan (coach) wouldn't let him be QB's coach. Jealous piece of ****. Logan's record something ridiculous like 75-10 with 4 state championships in 9 years. **** Clement

Last edited:
Advertisement
Gotta have Kyle Wright on there over Clement. I'd even have "Costaverde" up there. But great post regardless.

I`m not sure of the year or HS, but there was a QB from N Florida named HALL who was supposed to be all everything. Never played a down here or anywhere else as I remember

Jesus think about the following QBs that never lived up to the hype here:

Costa
Clement
Fortay
Wright
Marve
Freeman
Jacory

That is a ridiculous list. I know every program has their busts but this is depressing to think about.

From MNW Brandon Washington made 2nd team all acc as a guard his soph year then Golden moved him to tackle his jr year that was a mistake.. Streeter balled out his jr year with 9tds and over 800 yards rec.. Sean Spence was 1st team all acc LB and would of been one of the best LB here ever if he had a competent DL in front of him.. Jacory like him or not is second all time in most UM passing categories and had a great soph year. If he had Golden even for 2 years he would of been all acc easily. The kid was great his sr year until the BC game were no one on the team gave a **** about that game because of the bowl ban days before the game.. half of the MNW crew turned out good with coaching turnover every year of there careers.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Always appreciate the historical perspective you bring, Jassid82.

Although I have to say, Kyle Wright should be number one by a mile. He is a symbol of everything rotten with the Coker era. When he committed, Miami was in the midst of a historic winning streak. When he left, we were 5-7. The snitching was just the cherry on top.

Jandmam214, I get your point but you care to post our records during there tenure here as well? And add to that our Bowl record as well..And our record against FSU and Vtech..Personal stats mean nothing at the U when you dont win. Ask Vinny Testeverde. Some fans still havent forgiven him for the 86 Fiesta Bowl and he is the second most decorated UM player ever AND is a CFHOFer.

Dmoney, you are right. Feel free to take Ryan Clement off and put Kyle Wright on. Def dont have a problem with that. Kyle was ALOT more highly rated then Ryan. (even though Ryan was the man in his own right out of HS.) AND him being the alleged Snitch adds more insult to injury.

Advertisement
The MNW/BTW crew shouldn't be on that list... From 05-07 UM was a dumpster fire... With no leadership in place they gave us hope and showed signs of promise... They just couldn't get us past 9 wins... Those aren't busts... If your qb is top 3 in school history in passing yards, tds, and completion prrcentage/ ratings then he isn't a bust... Yea he's also the all-time leader in pics but with the exception of his 2011 campaign he wasn't bad... We had a 2nd rounder in B. Harris... B. Wash was all-acc at guard until he was moved to tackle... Forston was injury prone but he had a strong 2010 campaign and we haven't seen a similar production from that position since then... Streeter was a late bloomer and gave us a strong 2011 season... Who's better than Spence? Collier was a playmaker who wasn't appreciated until he was gone... AJ disappeared production wise as well as literally after 2008... Thompkins was a role player as well as Ben Jones... DJ gave us production whenever he was healthy...

Were there any superstars? No but the class was solid... All of them should have shirted due to injuries but we didn't have the luxury of doing so... As a group of sophomores they gave us 9 wins but they couldn't get over the hump... With exception maybe 4(and 2 of them fell off due to off field related events) most teams would have took their production... We have trouted more disappointments and worse production than those players... And lets not blame the investigation solely on them... This goes back to 04 but NCAA can't get a word out of those players( I don't think they have anything)...

If Kyle Wright... Isn't on that list you're just being emotional... What about Ian Symonette? What about James Bryant? Andrew Johnson? I wouldn't put Moss on there because he was having a great season in 04 before the injury and before that he either had Gore or a productive Payton in front of him...

Last edited:
Not a bad list , i would swap out T. moss with Charlie Jones. T Moss was disappointing but had some flashes, Charlie Jones didn't really do anything here.

Advertisement
Good list but Arthur Brown has to be somewhere on that list. Do you remember the hype with this kid? He did absolutely nothing while at UM.

Not a bad list , i would swap out T. moss with Charlie Jones. T Moss was disappointing but had some flashes, Charlie Jones didn't really do anything here.

TMoss is a bigger bust BECAUSE he showed flashes, I think. We saw what he could do, but after he got hurt he never dedicated himself to rehab and ended up 280 pounds. Jones just flat out didn't have it.

Wright is the no brainer #1
Leggett is a good suggestion too

I'd throw Ryan Moore in #1 WR and good bball player too .. Tyler McMeans was a huge let down (5* JUCO from same school as McKinnie)

Ray Ray Armstrong gets a nod too

The MNW/BTW crew shouldn't be on that list... From 05-07 UM was a dumpster fire... With no leadership in place they gave us hope and showed signs of promise... They just couldn't get us past 9 wins... Those aren't busts... If your qb is top 3 in school history in passing yards, tds, and completion prrcentage/ ratings then he isn't a bust... Yea he's also the all-time leader in pics but with the exception of his 2011 campaign he wasn't bad... We had a 2nd rounder in B. Harris... B. Wash was all-acc at guard until he was moved to tackle... Forston was injury prone but he had a strong 2010 campaign and we haven't seen a similar production from that position since then... Streeter was a late bloomer and gave us a strong 2011 season... Who's better than Spence? Collier was a playmaker who wasn't appreciated until he was gone... AJ disappeared production wise as well as literally after 2008... Thompkins was a role player as well as Ben Jones... DJ gave us production whenever he was healthy...

Were there any superstars? No but the class was solid... All of them should have shirted due to injuries but we didn't have the luxury of doing so... As a group of sophomores they gave us 9 wins but they couldn't get over the hump... With exception maybe 4(and 2 of them fell off due to off field related events) most teams would have took their production... We have trouted more disappointments and worse production than those players... And lets not blame the investigation solely on them... This goes back to 04 but NCAA can't get a word out of those players( I don't think they have anything)...

If Kyle Wright... Isn't on that list you're just being emotional... What about Ian Symonette? What about James Bryant? Andrew Johnson? I wouldn't put Moss on there because he was having a great season in 04 before the injury and before that he either had Gore or a productive Payton in front of him...

Symonnette was only a bust if you were delusional and though those cinder block feet could be improved. Bryant didn't have NEARLY the hype of Willie or the other guys on this list. Andrew Johnson wasn't even the most hyped running back in his own class.

The MNW/BTW crew deserves a spot because they were supposed to be the foundation of a team that won a title. Instead they were the foundation of teams that finished about .500. "Bust" means failure to live up to hype, and I don't recall there ever being as much hype around a single class as those guys. Yes, individuals were productive(Spence most notably), but they weren't billed as individuals when they came in, they were "the baby canes".

Advertisement
Back