Top 5 Dade County Basketball Players Ever in High School

I seen two threads on Dade and Broward all time football teams. I figured let's see the thoughts on the five best dade county basketball players you have seen. This is not based on what they did after high school.

My list is below in no particular order.

Douglas Edwards
Steve Edwards
Tracy Reid
Lucas Barnes
Charlie Miller

Advertisement
Tim Hardaway Jr
James Jones
Raja Bell
Winsome Frazier
Dwayne Collins
Jerron Granberry
Corey Louis
Cedric Tavoris-McGowan (was a beast in HS at MNW)
Brent Wright

And although he wasn’t that great here at Miami, but Dewan Hernandez was pretty good at Norland

Mitch Richmond
Chris Corchiani
Tim James
Steve Blake
I thought Mitch Richmond was from Broward? Maybe I am wrong. Man I remember watching high school games on tv as a kid in Homestead at the time. I seen Blake play both at Killian with Raja Bell, later at Miami High with Haslam where they beat South Miami (Luke Barnes/Robert Doctor) led team.

Tim Hardaway Jr
James Jones
Raja Bell
Winsome Frazier
Dwayne Collins
Jerron Granberry
Corey Louis
Cedric Tavoris-McGowan (was a beast in HS at MNW)
Brent Wright

And although he wasn’t that great here at Miami, but Dewan Hernandez was pretty good at Norland
These all were some very good basketball players. Raja was nice at Killian. I will never forget my boy Luke Barnes going to the ABCD or Nike camp as a Soph or Jr, returning raving about this freak basketball player who was older. He said the player literally jumped over him on an alley oop and could not be stopped, the player...Vince Carter who I believe ended beating that vaunted Miami Northwester team in state.

I forgot about Huey Futch who went on to play for John Chaney at Temple.

Advertisement
I guess you guys forgot about Ochiel Swaby. Dude put up video game numbers at North Miami high I think. Something crazy like 48 ppg. Came to UM and didn't get along with Ham, transferred to UCF and was all conference but never matched his potential.

Also Udonis Haslem should get a mention.. he was dominant for Shakey R at Miami High.

Last edited:
I guess you guys forgot about Ochiel Swaby. Dude put up video game numbers at North Miami high I think. Something crazy like 48 ppg. Came to UM and didn't get along with Ham, transferred to UCF and was all conference but never matched his potential.

Also Udonis Haslem should get a mention.. he was dominant for Shakey R at Miami High.
Swaby was a video game back then no doubt.

Advertisement
I thought Mitch Richmond was from Broward? Maybe I am wrong. Man I remember watching high school games on tv as a kid in Homestead at the time. I seen Blake play both at Killian with Raja Bell, later at Miami High with Haslam where they beat South Miami (Luke Barnes/Robert Doctor) led team.
My bad. Ur right, he played at Boyd Anderson.

Advertisement
Lucas Barnes was so awesome to watch in person. Even better than watching the Edwards brothers, who routinely destroyed everyone. I still remember a state semi against Dillard, I believe, where Barnes basically beat them on his own. He had a last minute reverse and blocked a shot attempt against the backboard to save the game. He was unreal. Sad that he couldn't keep his head on straight at Miami.

Advertisement
Lucas Barnes was so awesome to watch in person. Even better than watching the Edwards brothers, who routinely destroyed everyone. I still remember a state semi against Dillard, I believe, where Barnes basically beat them on his own. He had a last minute reverse and blocked a shot attempt against the backboard to save the game. He was unreal. Sad that he couldn't keep his head on straight at Miami.
I was at that game in the Cobra Pit. Dillard with Keyon Dooling & Clarence Gilbert were winning the entire game until LBs exploits you mentioned. What stands out about that game was the amount of football players who came out the games to show LB love since he had committed to the U. From Ray Lewis (eventually through a party at the park next to his grandma's house in Lakeland, Tremain Mack and everyone else. The run up to state against Miami High that year was amazing.

Fortunately he turned his life around and is on the right track in life. The battles he had as a freshmen in practice going up against Charlie Miller, James Colzie & Damian Harrell gave him the confidence he needed going into his Sophomore year.

I'm old enough to remember Chris Corchiani. Dude used to drain 30 footers casually.
Yeah, Jim Valvano recruited him to NC State. Played there with Rodney Monroe and Tom Gugliotta. Great PG, shooting and assists.

Born in the Gables, he mighta changed our hoops history a bit if he'd signed here. We had a decent team of guys he coulda played with -- Joe Wylie, Trevor Burton, Jerome Scott, Morton, etc. My guess is he never considered doing that.

I was at that game in the Cobra Pit. Dillard with Keyon Dooling & Clarence Gilbert were winning the entire game until LBs exploits you mentioned. What stands out about that game was the amount of football players who came out the games to show LB love since he had committed to the U. From Ray Lewis (eventually through a party at the park next to his grandma's house in Lakeland, Tremain Mack and everyone else. The run up to state against Miami High that year was amazing.

Fortunately he turned his life around and is on the right track in life. The battles he had as a freshmen in practice going up against Charlie Miller, James Colzie & Damian Harrell gave him the confidence he needed going into his Sophomore year.
Yea that was an unreal game to be at live and just watching that dude play was amazing. To me the best talent we had recruited till then and maybe still. Glad he has his stuff together now.

Advertisement
Back