Top 5 Dade County Basketball Players Ever in High School

Yea that was an unreal game to be at live and just watching that dude play was amazing. To me the best talent we had recruited till then and maybe still. Glad he has his stuff together now.
I agree with all of this. Those were some good years out in "Cobra Country". The games were always packed. A lot of good dudes I went to school with there. I remember running into a partner I use to hangout with in high school in Dubai back in 2009, actually took the ASVAB for him to join the Army, another story there lol..He was telling me about Malki and his brother who went to school with us were sports agents.

Advertisement
Solely based off their HS careers, in my eyes the best 5 to ever come out of the 305 are:

1. Doug Edwards (Miami High c/o 1989) - McDonald's AA, ranked the #2 player in the country (behind Kenny Anderson) in 1989. Was the catalyst in Miami High's national resurgence in the 80's. If he doesn't walk out on Jake Caldwell at Jackson, Dade County basketball history would look much different today.
2. Irving Thomas (Carol City c/o 1985) - The first player in Dade county history to play in the McDonald's AA game (1985). First team Parade AA. Top 10 player in the country his senior year. Signed with Kentucky out of HS.
3. Steve Edwards (Miami High c/o 1992) - Named McDonald's and Parade AA his senior year. Twice named FL Mr. Basketball POY. 2 state titles. Top 20 player nationally. Gatorade POY his senior year.
4. Chris Corchiani (HML c/o 1987) - Another Mickey D's and Parade AA coming out of HS. Started in HS since 8th grade. Was also twice named Florida's Mr. Basketball POY.
5. Cyril Baptiste (Curley c/o 1968) - Didn't get to see him play, but the old heads I know swear by him to this day. His former college coach, Eddie Sutton calls him one of the talented players he's ever coached.

Other names to consider:
Lucas Barnes (South Miami)
Corey Louis (Northwestern)
Charlie Miller (South Miami)
Tim James (Northwestern)
Dewan Huell (Norland)
Carlos Morban (Miami Christian)
Eddie Rios (Miami High)
Angel Rodriguez (Krop)
Steve Blake (Killian & Miami High)
Jesus Verdejo (Miami Christian)
Osbourne Lockhart (Jackson)
Rickey Blanton (Killian)
Mychal Thompson (Jackson)
James Jones (American)
Charles Claxton (Carol City)
Val Butterfield (Northwestern)
Udonis Haslem (Miami High)
Javi Martinez (Krop)
Jamal Levy (Berkshire)
Guillermo Diaz (Miami Christian)
Shawn Jones (Hialeah)
Juan Jose Barea (Miami Christian)
Ochiel Swaby (North Miami)
Zach Peacock (Norland)
Devin Davis (Miami High)
Tim Hardaway (Palmetto)
Oran Chin (Krop)
Malik Reneau (Mater & Montverde)
Otis George (Berkshire)
Deandre Burnett ( Carol City)

Last edited:
I was at that game in the Cobra Pit. Dillard with Keyon Dooling & Clarence Gilbert were winning the entire game until LBs exploits you mentioned. What stands out about that game was the amount of football players who came out the games to show LB love since he had committed to the U. From Ray Lewis (eventually through a party at the park next to his grandma's house in Lakeland, Tremain Mack and everyone else. The run up to state against Miami High that year was amazing.

Fortunately he turned his life around and is on the right track in life. The battles he had as a freshmen in practice going up against Charlie Miller, James Colzie & Damian Harrell gave him the confidence he needed going into his Sophomore year.
I played against Colzie when he was at Gulliver. Thought he was overrated.

5. Cyril Baptiste (Curley c/o 1968) - Didn't get to see him play, but the old heads I know swear by him to this day. His former college coach, Eddie Sutton calls him one of the talented players he's ever coached.
At Curley, Baptiste (6'9, 230) was a Parade Magazine HSAA. Maybe the very first one ever from So Fla.

Another player who was excellent, even before Baptiste, was a guy named Stan McKenzie. He was a smooth shooting Forward from Miami Northwestern HS who graduated in 1963. At the time, Northwestern was one of the segregated, all-Black high schools in the county. Stan played at NYU when the Violets were a powerhouse college team (they had Stan, future All-Pro Happy Hairston, and AA Barry Kramer). Stan played in the NBA from 1966-73.

Lastly, going back to the mid-60s, there was Neal Walk, from Miami Beach HS. He didn't make noise until his Sr year. Think he took the Hi-Tides to the State championship (I was at UM at the time). Neal was 6'10, and played at UF, and in the NBA for 6-7 seasons.

Advertisement
At Curley, Baptiste (6'9, 230) was a Parade Magazine HSAA. Maybe the very first one ever from So Fla.

Another player who was excellent, even before Baptiste, was a guy named Stan McKenzie. He was a smooth shooting Forward from Miami Northwestern HS who graduated in 1963. At the time, Northwestern was one of the segregated, all-Black high schools in the county. Stan played at NYU when the Violets were a powerhouse college team (they had Stan, future All-Pro Happy Hairston, and AA Barry Kramer). Stan played in the NBA from 1966-73.

Lastly, going back to the mid-60s, there was Neal Walk, from Miami Beach HS. He didn't make noise until his Sr year. Think he took the Hi-Tides to the State championship (I was at UM at the time). Neal was 6'10, and played at UF, and in the NBA for 6-7 seasons.
Was **** Hickox (RIP) (UM-Basketball) at UM during this time? He was one of our teachers at South Miami in the mid 90s. This 5'6 guy would always tell us he played ball at Miami and we would laugh, until we realized he was inducted into the UM Hall of Fame for basketball.

Was **** Hickox (RIP) (UM-Basketball) at UM during this time? He was one of our teachers at South Miami in the mid 90s. This 5'6 guy would always tell us he played ball at Miami and we would laugh, until we realized he was inducted into the UM Hall of Fame for basketball.
Not sure if this is the same guy, but Gulliver had a Coach Hickox back in the 80's who if I'm not mistaken played at UM in the late 50's, early 60's. He used to tell us he was Miami's first All-American, even before Rick Barry. Don't think he was originally from Miami though.

Not sure if this is the same guy, but Gulliver had a Coach Hickox back in the 80's who if I'm not mistaken played at UM in the late 50's, early 60's. He used to tell us he was Miami's first All-American, even before Rick Barry. Don't think he was originally from Miami though.
Yeah I am sure it is the same person. He was not from Miami. I mentioned him because Hotshot mentioned that he attended Miami in the 60s. So I was asking if he knew he was.

I think he played at UM in the late 50s/very early 60s. A guard from basketball-rich Indiana, a state Bruce Hale raided regularly for top HS talent. There must been a half dozen HS stars from Indiana that Bruce recruited to great effect in the 60s. Guys like Mike McCoy, Wayne Beckner, John Dampier, Junior Gee, Rick Jones .... Most of those guys are in the Indiana HS Hall of Fame.

Advertisement
Ralph Pierre Louis and bonal colas from north miami were some beast
Ralph(RIP) was nice but JJ used to embarrass him and anyone else wearing Orange and Black. I remember when my dog bammed on CC's starting 5, Ralph included. Bo was so-so. Being 6'9" was the best thing about his game. I've seen my homeboy J.C. make him a victim at Pepper Park back in the day...

Ricky Blanton was a pretty good player at Killian and went to LSU. Jamel Martinez was a good player at Miami High for Shakey Rodriguez and went to Kentucky. Chris and Gabe Corchiani as well.

Good old Gimel "I aced the SAT on my own, I promise" Martinez. I was going to add him, then I realized you just had his first name misspelled.

A couple of my fraternity brothers went to Miami High, so I spent years having to listen to their "Miami High was the best" routine...

I thought Mitch Richmond was from Broward? Maybe I am wrong. Man I remember watching high school games on tv as a kid in Homestead at the time. I seen Blake play both at Killian with Raja Bell, later at Miami High with Haslam where they beat South Miami (Luke Barnes/Robert Doctor) led team.
Steve Blake came after Raja at Killian (they didn’t play together). Lucas Barnes tomahawked on my head in 1996. I would’ve had to quit basketball and leave schools had that happened today:)

Steve Blake came after Raja at Killian (they didn’t play together). Lucas Barnes tomahawked on my head in 1996. I would’ve had to quit basketball and leave schools had that happened today:)
I like vividly remember Charlie Miller (Sr), LB (Soph) play Raja Bell (Sr) and Steve Blake (Fr) at the Pit. Maybe I am wrong but I want to say they played together at the K. Who did you play for?

Advertisement
I was at that game in the Cobra Pit. Dillard with Keyon Dooling & Clarence Gilbert were winning the entire game until LBs exploits you mentioned. What stands out about that game was the amount of football players who came out the games to show LB love since he had committed to the U. From Ray Lewis (eventually through a party at the park next to his grandma's house in Lakeland, Tremain Mack and everyone else. The run up to state against Miami High that year was amazing.

Fortunately he turned his life around and is on the right track in life. The battles he had as a freshmen in practice going up against Charlie Miller, James Colzie & Damian Harrell gave him the confidence he needed going into his Sophomore year.
@Brooklyndee do you remember this time in 95 when Luke committed?

Advertisement
@Brooklyndee do you remember this time in 95 when Luke committed?
**** yeah. So butch had a thing for us with coach ham that we were all supposed to go out and support each other. Went to a lot of high school games back than. It was a great time for Dade county high school ball. L was a good friend of mine back than. I just wish coach ham could've kept more of them local. What he was building to go along with buddy from ely were really special.

B
I put Tracey Reid in my Top 5 because she was UNBELIEVABLE a woman amongst girls. Not sure how many people in here realize I put a female in the Top 5.
It if you gonna do that than you gotta put Sylvia fowles at Edison... She was a monster. Only chick I ever saw that who made me say dudes don't want that smoke was back in ny. Shamika holdsclaw THAT GIRL THERE. She used to play ball with all of us on roof top, on west fourth you name it. I used to see her outplay God shamgod & Stephon too on a regular.

I'm surprised Charles Claxton isn't on anybody's list, dude used to hold His own against Shaq at UGA, and His son plays for the Nets.

Yep. I remember around that time, sofla was actually loaded with big guys (Claxton was a 7’). Gimel Martinez, claxton, (there was 1-2 others) And then a bit later with the MHS guys like haslem, latimer, Robinson made sofla bigs really attractive to schools.

Advertisement
Back