Top 5 Dade County Basketball Players Ever in High School

2 of them are the Hankerson brothers. They won a state title in 2010 at Coral Reef, a magnet school absolutely irrelevant in sports. CJ ended up at Alabama then grad transferred to Wyoming. Cedric ended up at Boston University.

Advertisement
I went to see them play one time and it was like a national televised game press and TV crews from all over college scouts filed the stands and yes NBA scouts.

The staring 5 we’re all over 6’7” guards were Magic Johnson size center PORTILLO was 6’10 .
The bench was the same all 5 star NBA type players.

You would of had to see them to believe your eyes.

Easily the greatest undisputed high school team ever assembled PERIOD.

NO TEAM YO EVER MATCH THEM IN TALENT SIZE SPEED ZERO WEAKNESSES PERIOD.

They would beat 90% of the top college teams even today teams and would make the Final Four .

That was Miami High .

GOCANES
Those Miami High teams were great. With guys like Portillo, Gimel Martinez, Jose Ramos, Doug Edwards, etc. they formed quite a squad. On paper though, the most talented high school team in Dade County history might be the 1974 Miami Jackson squad aka the Jackson 5. That team went 33-0 and won every game by an average scoring margin of almost 30 points. Team consisted of 4 future NBA players -- Mychal Thompson (future #1 pick in NBA draft), Cecil Rose, Osborne Lockhart (Harlem Globetrotter legend), and Charles Thompson. The 5th starter on the team was Julio Davila, who also played Division I after HS and is still playing in his mid 60's.

2 of them are the Hankerson brothers. They won a state title in 2010 at Coral Reef, a magnet school absolutely irrelevant in sports. CJ ended up at Alabama then grad transferred to Wyoming. Cedric ended up at Boston University.
Hankerson brothers were good. Not sure what you mean by "2 of them are the Hankers brothers" but no way are they top 5 players in Dade County history.

Those Miami High teams were great. With guys like Portillo, Gimel Martinez, Jose Ramos, Doug Edwards, etc. they formed quite a squad. On paper though, the most talented high school team in Dade County history might be the 1974 Miami Jackson squad aka the Jackson 5. That team went 33-0 and won every game by an average scoring margin of almost 30 points. Team consisted of 4 future NBA players -- Mychal Thompson (future #1 pick in NBA draft), Cecil Rose, Osborne Lockhart (Harlem Globetrotter legend), and Charles Thompson. The 5th starter on the team was Julio Davila, who also played Division I after HS and is still playing in his mid 60's.

Hankerson brothers were good. Not sure what you mean by "2 of them are the Hankers brothers" but no way are they top 5 players in Dade County history.
Them 4 BAHAMIAN Kids took over dade county all still legends back home in the Bahamas.

Im surprised i havent seen any Miami Pace players. Pace had a nice run when i was in high school. My neighbor/best friend hooped for them an my big *** would play at Pace some saturdays open run with all kind of ballers.

Former UM Safety Lavon Ponder could hoop a bit

Them 4 BAHAMIAN Kids took over dade county all still legends back home in the Bahamas.

Im surprised i havent seen any Miami Pace players. Pace had a nice run when i was in high school. My neighbor/best friend hooped for them an my big *** would play at Pace some saturdays open run with all kind of ballers.

Former UM Safety Lavon Ponder could hoop a bit
When I think of Pace basketball, Alex Fraser (former UM hooper) immediately comes to mind. In more recent years, Ray Taylor (a pro scout once told me he was considered one of the best under 5'7" players in the world), Ray Shipman (NFL) and Rakeem Buckles (Louisville) were all Spartan standouts. I'm sure I'm missing others but those are the ones I immediately think of.

Those Miami High teams were great. With guys like Portillo, Gimel Martinez, Jose Ramos, Doug Edwards, etc. they formed quite a squad.
Portillo and Martinez were pretty disappointing after HS. Martinez rode the pine at Kentucky, Portillo didn't work out at a number of stops, including UF. Doug Edwards was very good at FSU and played a few yrs in the NBA.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Portillo and Martinez were pretty darn disappointing after HS. Martinez rode the pine at Kentucky, Portillo didn't work out at a number of stops, including UF. Doug Edwards was very good at FSU and played a few yrs in the NBA.
Agreed. Portillo and Martinez success at the High certainly didn't translate to the collegiate and/or pro levels. That still doesn't take away from the fact that at the HS level they helped form one of the greatest HS basketball teams in Dade County history.

Haslem was a very good basketball player in HS and college, but no one could've imagined he'd have a 20-year NBA career. It's crazy how his basketball career took off once he transformed his body. Funny thing is as a youngster in HS, people were always in his ear about it.
When I was a 9th grader, I distinctly remember a 300 lb. Udonis asleep on my homegirl's couch(he was dating her older sister). Dude left those pounds in the '00's...

Advertisement
Back