Tony Grimes

FRCane

Sophomore
I've heard his name come up a few times now as a potential member of this class. I couldn't find any of his JC tape, here is his high school footage (class of 2010).
Couple of things I noticed:
Seems to adjust well when the ball is in the air
good with the ball in his hands
good size
seemed to be pretty comfortable/successful in press coverage

Thoughts?

[video=youtube_share;APOn3OgJzcs]http://youtu.be/APOn3OgJzcs[/video]

Advertisement
looks good...
the thing i remember about Grimes is that he wasnt a burner ...so playing in zones or in d'onofrio's scheme would be good fit....he has size...and has went against sec comp and god juco comp and would allow us to redshirt guys....ill take him

Consider the source, but players notified?

SaveUMFootball
Papa Cane

Remember the silent commitment I mentioned last week? It's JUCO CB Tony Grimes. Now you know. If grades are OK, he is 100% Cane.

3 minutes ago

he was sitting a couple of seats in front of me at the game yesterday. Guess he knew he could start day in Aug

Advertisement
I saw him at the camp and didn't really like him. Stiff.

Camp does not equal football in pads but for corners it's a good evaluating tool.

IIRC, in HS, he was projected as a jam corner...but even in HS he had no hips...we got a dude without hips in Brandon McGee. I want some dudes who can swivel those hips like they are Marc Anthony...turn and f'n run with these scrub ACC receivers.

Advertisement
I saw him at the camp and didn't really like him. Stiff.

Camp does not equal football in pads but for corners it's a good evaluating tool.

I've never been a big fan either for the same reason. Add to that the grades/attitude/off field issues and it seemed as though it wasn't worth the effort to make him a priority recruit.

it seems he doesnt have the offer yet. but, they have him locked up if they want him.

it seems he is the fallback option to travell dixon and tracy howard

it seems he doesnt have the offer yet. but, they have him locked up if they want him.

it seems he is the fallback option to travell dixon and tracy howard

Good to see you here, G!

I'm still in "I'll believe it when I see it" mode.

Advertisement
I'll take him and roll out the red carpet. He's worth the risk with our dearth of experienced DB's. ****, if he's another Mike Williams it's worth it.

DMoney, have you seen and Juco tape on him? I'd love to hear your updated thoughts.

Advertisement
ESPN Analyst
Updated 02/03/2010
Grimes has the tools and skill set to develop into a very good college cornerback. Just needs some time to continue physically developing and add some positional polish. Tall with a rangy, lean frame that will need added strength and bulk to match up on the outside versus bigger college receivers. Very well versed in coverage schemes. Displays great quickness, foot-speed and smooth hips. Breaks fast on the perimeter run or pass and off the hash over the top of routes, when employed at safety. Has very good range in zone schemes and equally impressive man-to-man skills, particularly when pressing. Will step up and play aggressive and physical. Utilizes his deceptively-strong hands and wiry body to impede the receiver's release off the line. Can flip his hips to turn and run vertically without losing much in transition. Has very good recovery burst and makeup speed. Re-directs sharply out of his breaks mirroring in off-man. Competes for the jump ball in deep coverage with great high-point skills. Could grow into a difficult one-on-one matchup for receivers at the next level, once his leaner frame fills out. Soundly times his jump, shows very good body control and adjustment to the ball in the air. Gets off the stalk block quickly in run support and locates the football. A strong, reliable tackler -- particularly in the open field. Our main concern is that his high-cut frame can hinder his transitional quickness/smoothness breaking underneath and his stop-start skill when feathering quicker receivers off the line. Pedal can be high and a bit rigid at times. Difficult to create separation against due to his sharpness out of his breaks and burst out of his cuts, but top-end speed could be tested vertically at the next level. Projects best as a bump-and-run guy or a hard underneath corner in a Cover 2 system. Overall, Grimes is a very talented corner with coveted size, acceleration, physicality and ball skills. Should add a lot of value as both a returner and coverage guy on special teams.

...lulz, sounds like a Pro-Bowler.

I'll take him and roll out the red carpet. He's worth the risk with our dearth of experienced DB's. ****, if he's another Mike Williams it's worth it.

DMoney, have you seen and Juco tape on him? I'd love to hear your updated thoughts.

Haven't seen any JUCO tape, does any exist? Would be curious to see it.

I have no problem with the take because we need confident corners who can play now. Just not particularly excited about it.

Advertisement
Back