Tony Grimes

Advertisement
I'll take him and roll out the red carpet. He's worth the risk with our dearth of experienced DB's. ****, if he's another Mike Williams it's worth it.

DMoney, have you seen and Juco tape on him? I'd love to hear your updated thoughts.

Haven't seen any JUCO tape, does any exist? Would be curious to see it.

I have no problem with the take because we need confident corners who can play now. Just not particularly excited about it.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/588917/tony-grimes

The Hurricanes lose a pair of experienced cornerbacks to graduation this year, and with little returning depth or experience it appears the team is turning to the junior college ranks.

One JUCO player who says he expects to be in this recruiting class is Tony Grimes, a 6-foot-0, 177-pound cornerback who plays at Arizona Western Junior College after initially starring at Hollywood Hills (FL) High School.

Grimes flew home for Thanksgiving and attended yesterday's game against Boston College as an invited recruit.

"They took me out on the field during warm-ups to meet coach (Al) Golden," Grimes said. "He said he's excited to be recruiting me.

"I talked to the other coaches, too. They were just making sure I'm staying on top of all my classes, focusing on my grades. They're looking for someone who could come in here and take over, and they said I could be that guy."

Grimes is on pace to graduate in May and says his understanding is he'll land a Hurricane offer as long as he qualifies academically. Once he gets that offer he plans to take it.

"They're just waiting to see how my grades come out," Grimes said. "I should be fine with that."

Grimes currently lists one written offer, from Indiana, and has verbal offers from several schools including West Virginia and Texas Tech.

He says his plan is to attend Miami.

"That's where I want to be," he said. "I want to be in orange and green next fall."

He says with UM's depth issues that "I can play right away - that's my plan and intention."

Grimes helped his team win the Western States Football League with four interceptions this year, and now top-ranked Arizona Western is set to face East Mississippi Junior College in the NJCAA Championship Game Dec. 3.

* Of his experience at the UM-BC game, Grimes said, "I enjoyed it. It would have been better if we'd have gotten a win, though."

* Grimes says he's been recruited by the Canes since arriving at junior college and that he first met coaches last summer when he took an unofficial visit.

I'll take him and roll out the red carpet. He's worth the risk with our dearth of experienced DB's. ****, if he's another Mike Williams it's worth it.

DMoney, have you seen and Juco tape on him? I'd love to hear your updated thoughts.

I have no problem with the take because we need confident corners who can play now. Just not particularly excited about it.

Well we know he knows how to play zone. Nothing earth shattering in his highlights, very quick. Better athlete than Williams, that's for **** sure.

Will he tackle and can he get of a block if a bubble screen is thrown his way? That's all I care to know.

Advertisement

Well we know he knows how to play zone. Nothing earth shattering in his highlights, very quick. Better athlete than Williams, that's for **** sure.

considering that's pretty much our entire defense, I say he will do well here.

A few questions. And these are not trolling questions, even though this is me.

1) Who was on this kid coming out of high school?
2) Did this kid have issues other than those of the academic variety?
3) On another subject, apart from the fact that they can't afford it financially, what reasons are there for there not being any JUCO football in this state?
4) How much, if at all, have we missed out on potentially good players who had to leave the area to go JUCO and then they just never thought of coming back? (I'm probably being really naive on this one.)
5) Oh, yeah -- most importantly, for those who actually know and study this stuff, is Grimes actually someone who can help us, or is he Mike Williams 2.0?

Advertisement

He signed with Michigan out of high school, and was recruited heavily by Michigan, Ole Miss, and Tennessee.

Supposed to have had a ****** attitude. I wonder if living in bum**** Arizona helped sort that out.

5) Oh, yeah -- most importantly, for those who actually know and study this stuff, is Grimes actually someone who can help us, or is he Mike Williams 2.0?

He's a much better athlete that Mike Williams, but don't expect him to be some All American corner either.

nm

He signed with Michigan out of high school, and was recruited heavily by Michigan, Ole Miss, and Tennessee.

Supposed to have had a ****** attitude. I wonder if living in bum**** Arizona helped sort that out.

He's a much better athlete that Mike Williams, but don't expect him to be some All American corner either.

nm
Actually he signed with Ole Miss

3) On another subject, apart from the fact that they can't afford it financially, what reasons are there for there not being any JUCO football in this state?
4) How much, if at all, have we missed out on potentially good players who had to leave the area to go JUCO and then they just never thought of coming back? (I'm probably being really naive on this one.)

We've had a pretty decent track record sending kids to prep school and then getting them back. Brandon Washington and Malcome Bunche immediately come to mind, Gadbois too who'll be in this class.

Last edited:

nm
Actually he signed with Ole Miss

thanks

Advertisement

We've had a pretty decent track record sending kids to prep school and then getting them back. Brandon Washington and Malcome Bunche immediately come to mind, Gadbois too who'll be in this class.

Well, there's a difference between prep school and JUCO. I was inferring more in terms of local kids having to go out-of-state to JUCO and then not coming back. Bunche and Gadbois weren't local kids, anyway. Trying to think, off the top of my head, of local kids who went away for JUCO but then came back. Duane Starks. Was Tony Gaiter a JUCO or a transfer from a four-year school? It's been so long, I can't remember.

Regarding the Patrick Petersen comparison.. Is he better than what we had farting around back there this year? That's the query.

Well, there's a difference between prep school and JUCO. I was inferring more in terms of local kids having to go out-of-state to JUCO and then not coming back. Bunche and Gadbois weren't local kids, anyway. Trying to think, off the top of my head, of local kids who went away for JUCO but then came back. Duane Starks. Was Tony Gaiter a JUCO or a transfer from a four-year school? It's been so long, I can't remember.

Regarding the Patrick Petersen comparison.. Is he better than what we had farting around back there this year? That's the query.

Coming out of HS McGee was considered the better prospect but we know who that turned out. Grimes had mixed reviews, some loved him and others weren't impressed.

Advertisement
IIRC he wasnt a burner, but played CB in HS unlike McGee and was a playmaker. I think he may have been a low 4 star, but the consensus was he was overrated due to speed, and maybe some attitude problems.

he would do good here...he has plus size...and hes been versed in zone covgs since high school..

**** Jo Jo Nicholas played cb this year and he is as stiff as Randy Shannon's creased dockers.

Would like Grimes and Dixon to COME ON DOWN...

Could be a safety option too... we DESPERATELY need Safeties. I think this kid gets the offer and we take him no matter what. AG and Coach D have to be loading up the boat with every event decent DB they can get their hands on right now. I like that the kid can play Zone.. that is a HUGE issue I think many may be overlooking.... at worst he can step in as a Nickel Corner... Im also intrigued by the Safety possibility with suspect hips, but otherwise decent skills plays zone in the backfield.

Advertisement
Back