Tom Herman - Why not more attention?

LuCane

Administrator
Administrator
To me, the most surprising thing of this entire circus is that there hasn't been more buzz around Tom Herman. If you're going to consider admittedly flawed candidates like Butch, Richt, Schiano, et al, why wouldn't you give equally aggressive consideration to someone who may be the "next" superstar coach? Now, it's entirely possible that we reached out in a behind-the-scenes manner and he was not interested. However, we heard that more definitively (even before he actually said it) with Fuente. Perhaps someone can explain what I seem to be missing.

We know about the apparent "extensive coaching experience" preference, so our supposed #1 guy is someone, like Richt, who's been leading an SEC team for 15 years. Is this a case of UM decision makers overreacting to a perceived 'requirement' for success at Miami?

Why isn't this search based on the one key aspect that had previously made Miami great: leveraging some elite coaching skill/talent to create a significant competitive advantage?

Last edited:
Advertisement
Maybe it is because Houston is throwing money at him to stay and he may not want to go to Miami.

Now, it's entirely possible that we reached out in a behind-the-scenes manner and he was not interested. However, we heard that more definitively (even before he actually said it) with Fuente.

Go on.

Advertisement
I'm really starting to hate Blake James like I ended up hating Golden. Seriously.

100%

seems like they're going the safe proven coach that Miami ties rout instead of going for the most upside and National Championships

No ***ing clue. I don't see how the 40 year old isn't the top guy if you miss out on a proven commodity (Kelly, Patterson and Gundy etc.) and are dealing with retreads. Take the risk with the dude.

Advertisement
Tom is the guy. He has only agreed in principle to his new contract at Houston, but that's it. He said he won't go into details surrounding the job talk with the media. He said he is Houston's coach "right now". We're waiting until Sunday to name a coach because he will be done with the conference championship. Blake is leaking all of the BS to make sure no buzz is around Herman so he can go through this week without any distractions.

He comin. Players notified.

Now, it's entirely possible that we reached out in a behind-the-scenes manner and he was not interested. However, we heard that more definitively (even before he actually said it) with Fuente.

Go on.

Not much to it. It had been said - even before Fuente famously pounded his chest over it when VT hired him - that he was not interested. I didn't hear it, but I think it's been mentioned a couple times. Could just be BS, too, as everything seems like BS right now.

Because Blake James is incompetent and not qualified for the job he holds.
This is really the only answer. Some of us have been begging for this guy to be contacted. **** if you look at the polls on this site he came in second to Butch. He should have been made a priority over any other coach. Why wasn't he? Who knows.

Maybe they didn't like the way he ran the team, he had his players walk on SMU jerseys when the week they played them.

Massive blunder by this school. It just goes to show that Blake isn't the right guy for this job.

Last edited:
Advertisement
To me, the most surprising thing of this entire circus is that there hasn't been more buzz around Tom Herman. If you're going to consider admittedly flawed candidates like Butch, Richt, Schiano, et al, why wouldn't you give equally aggressive consideration to someone who may be the "next" superstar coach? Now, it's entirely possible that we reached out in a behind-the-scenes manner and he was not interested. However, we heard that more definitively (even before he actually said it) with Fuente. Perhaps someone can explain what I seem to be missing.

We know about the apparent "extensive coaching experience" preference, so our supposed #1 guy is someone, like Richt, who's been leading an SEC team for 15 years. Is this a case of UM decision makers overreacting to a perceived 'requirement' for success at Miami?

Why isn't this search based on the one key aspect that had previously made Miami great: leveraging some elite coaching skill/talent to create a significant competitive advantage?

The only knock I hear on Herman, Houston is his first gig. It doesn't bother me plus it's a great start.

Probably the emphasis on established.

I would take Herman too but how many times have we heard people calling for an established coach. It is reported to be a priority for the next coach.

Because Blake James is incompetent and not qualified for the job he holds.

End Thread.

We're turned off by Dan Mullens "brashness," but are high on a douche bag prick that's half the coach in Schiano.

The fact that Schiano is even in the running is a reflection of how incompetent James and the BOT are.

But everyone that is disappointed can only blame themselves. We've fcked up every coaching decision in the last 15 years. Chances are, we'll fck this one up too.

Advertisement
He'd be my top guy out of the names being mentioned right now. He's what I was talking about when I mentioned finding the next G5 guy with a NC ceiling instead of settling for a known commodity who will likely win 9 or 10 games every year and get his *** pounded by anyone with equal or better talent and have regular head-scratching losses.

Unless he came right out and told UM that he's not interested, we should be putting the full-court press on him.

Probably the emphasis on established.

I would take Herman too but how many times have we heard people calling for an established coach. It is reported to be a priority for the next coach.
That's the problem with not having one competent guy making the decision. An established coach doesn't necessarily mean the best coach. Mark Richt or Butch Davis aren't better options just because they've coached longer.

Im so frustrated by this search and how it turned out. Regardless of who is hired at the end, this search was indicative of this school, no vision no forsight no planning no leader

He'd be my top guy out of the names being mentioned right now. He's what I was talking about when I mentioned finding the next G5 guy with a NC ceiling instead of settling for a known commodity who will likely win 9 or 10 games every year and get his *** pounded by anyone with equal or better talent and have regular head-scratching losses.

Unless he came right out and told UM that he's not interested, we should be putting the full-court press on him.

Exactly

Advertisement
Back