Tom Herman - Why not more attention?

Advertisement
Tom is the guy. He has only agreed in principle to his new contract at Houston, but that's it. He said he won't go into details surrounding the job talk with the media. He said he is Houston's coach "right now". We're waiting until Sunday to name a coach because he will be done with the conference championship. Blake is leaking all of the BS to make sure no buzz is around Herman so he can go through this week without any distractions.

He comin. Players notified.

giphy.gif

He should've been the number candidate after the long shots from the get go. He's a better candidate than any of our Four Finalists and offers much much more upside.

Its going to suck watching him rack up BCS Bowl appearances at his next job.

Could just be BS, too, as everything seems like BS right now.

That's why I asked. I don't think (JMO) for a second we reached out to him. (Although KornFerry might have put out feelers)

Advertisement
Advertisement
Nice tantrum thread by a lot of people who know absolutely nothing about the coaching search.

How about addressing the topic of the thread? Or, addressing someone directly? Maybe you have some deep insight into the coaching search and can enlighten us.

Nice tantrum thread by a lot of people who know absolutely nothing about the coaching search.

How about addressing the topic of the thread? Or, addressing someone directly? Maybe you have some deep insight into the coaching search and can enlighten us.

No, I would rather listen to a bunch of message board addicts who get their news from Twitter. They have true insight into our conversations with Tom Herman.

Advertisement
To me, the most surprising thing of this entire circus is that there hasn't been more buzz around Tom Herman. If you're going to consider admittedly flawed candidates like Butch, Richt, Schiano, et al, why wouldn't you give equally aggressive consideration to someone who may be the "next" superstar coach? Now, it's entirely possible that we reached out in a behind-the-scenes manner and he was not interested. However, we heard that more definitively (even before he actually said it) with Fuente. Perhaps someone can explain what I seem to be missing.

We know about the apparent "extensive coaching experience" preference, so our supposed #1 guy is someone, like Richt, who's been leading an SEC team for 15 years. Is this a case of UM decision makers overreacting to a perceived 'requirement' for success at Miami?

Why isn't this search based on the one key aspect that had previously made Miami great: leveraging some elite coaching skill/talent to create a significant competitive advantage?

I thought they told us out of the gate.

They wanted established Head Coaches, no coordinators, no amateur hour.

Herman doesn't have one year under his belt, yet.

Amateur hour? Ain't nobody got no time for that.

Hermann is clearly a good OC.

This year alone there are plenty of jobs open, and it seems nobody was willing to make a case that he is the guy. USC hired within, Georgia didn't give him a look, VT went another way, South Carolina probably looking other places, Rutgers, UCF, and the list goes on.

Why though?

Well look he is not proven. You guys want to crown him, but nobody else is. Here are the stats this year.

1. He beat nobody. Nobody on his schedule finished the year ranked. NONE.
  2. The record of his competition was 60 WINS and 79 LOSSES.
  3. HE LOST TO 6-6 UCONN
  4. 8 teams he played HAD EVEN OR LOSING RECORDS

Yeah he won alot of games, but I am pretty convinced that a large amount of coaches would have won just as many games as he did. We fired our coach and we would have won 10-11 games against that miserable schedule.

Get over it people, we did not want him, and other teams did not want him bad enough either.

Will he be the next Urban? Who knows, but Urban got to #4 in the nation and produced the #1 QB, before he got scooped up by the big dogs. If he does it again, then you take that shot, but we fired Golden this year.

Herman's my number 1 over everyone as he has a high ceiling and fits that hungry coach mold. I'm just assuming he's staying one more year at Houston so he proves it wasn't a fluke and goes for Texas when Strong gets canned eventually.

Advertisement

No, I would rather listen to a bunch of message board addicts who get their news from Twitter. They have true insight into our conversations with Tom Herman.

Pretty sure it is acknowledged there may be behind the scenes conversation going on. Seems like no buzz connecting Herman to UM, or him declining. Why?

Maybe it is because Houston is throwing money at him to stay and he may not want to go to Miami.

But you at least have to approach the guy and make him say no to the job: maybe that happened but nobody really knows for sure.

To me, the most surprising thing of this entire circus is that there hasn't been more buzz around Tom Herman. If you're going to consider admittedly flawed candidates like Butch, Richt, Schiano, et al, why wouldn't you give equally aggressive consideration to someone who may be the "next" superstar coach? Now, it's entirely possible that we reached out in a behind-the-scenes manner and he was not interested. However, we heard that more definitively (even before he actually said it) with Fuente. Perhaps someone can explain what I seem to be missing.

We know about the apparent "extensive coaching experience" preference, so our supposed #1 guy is someone, like Richt, who's been leading an SEC team for 15 years. Is this a case of UM decision makers overreacting to a perceived 'requirement' for success at Miami?

Why isn't this search based on the one key aspect that had previously made Miami great: leveraging some elite coaching skill/talent to create a significant competitive advantage?

Lu - maybe missed the post but what are the "flaws" with Mark Richt? Not insinuating the he is the best coach in the world or endorsing him as coach. Just curious about your concerns with his coaching resume.

Advertisement
Back