Tom Herman (merged with Herman head coach candidate threads)

Haven't read the whole thread but you have to assume that coaches that fail have learned to do things differently the 2nd time around and that they improve as coaches as time goes on. I really don't know much about Herman (other than that we were all fascinated w/ him years ago) or his time in UT, but you'd hope he's learned from prior mistakes running that program.

I don't think there's much of a connection b/w Herman and us so it seems unlikely anyways.

Advertisement
Kentucky has had 3 10 win seasons in their history, Mark Stoops has one of them

The other was Bear Bryant in 1952, the other in 1977. Sorry you don’t want to use context when discussing something

Clawson took Fordham from 0 wins to 10, Richmond from 3 wins to 11, Bowling Green to 10, and now has Wake poised to go from 2, 4 from the previous year he took over to 10+ this year.

Wake Forest has one season since 1888 where they won more than 9 games but you’re making 10 wins a case for a coach being good when the school has had 1 10 win season in school history

Yeah you are dense and an idiot

My god dude... are you under 14 years old or something? Most people that aren't plagued with absolute douchery learn by adulthood that name calling and straw arguments are tell tale signs of ignorance. I think we need a permission slip from your mom before you post again.

I mean... did you actually just quote Fordham's success in your coaching search? The school dude also has a losing record at?

Sorry Einstein (he was some smart dude that was born way before your time, sorry for the adult reference) but you provided zero context that matters... zero... Stoops is about as bad of a fit as you can get at Miami. Once you get thru all your excuses about how your actually not supposed to use his extremely poor records to judge him maybe you can provide some context on why you think he would be a good fit for Miami without explaining how he would have to change everything about his philosophies before he comes over? Or wait I guess he couldn't have decent offenses at Kentucky because its Kentucky.

I am adding a link to a permission slip for your mom. Please print this out and have you mom bring it anyone of the mods house the next time she is working.

We could do a lot worse than Herman. I get it. The goal should be to do a lot better than Herman.

With that said, will those "better options" be available or interested in this role? Too early tell.

//Remind myself to stop speculating on the next HC when the position isn't available//

As I posted in other threads, can the excuses.

Ask Tom Herman what went wrong in Texas? He had high expectations. Why didn't Texas build on a 10-4 Sugar Bowl winning Year 2? Ask Herman what he would do differently if he were the next HC at Miami?

Would he blame others? Boosters? Admin? HS coaches? Maybe he'd say he failed to navigate the politics of the position. Fair answer, never having been in that position (HC at Houston is not the same).

Or maybe he's collecting his $15.4M buyout while working his way in the NFL. Where he wouldn't have the non-football responsibilites the HC has at a major college program.

Mark Richt won 10 games, the coastal, went to the ACC Championship game, beat a top 5 team and a top 15 team, went to the Orange bowl in one season by year two. The year before that, he won 9 games, and won Miami’s first and only bowl Game since 2004. I would say the results were vastly different AT MIAMI under Richt.
Until his recruiting started catching up with him.

Advertisement
I had forgotten about Herman and the ex Ohio State coach that tried to bury him on twitter.

https://247sports.com/LongFormArtic...man-coach-Twitter-rant-124607704/#124607704_1
I want him more after that.

I've come to the realisation that only the bad guys win in College. Give me a dirty coach as long as he doesn't bring the NCAA down on us.

To quote the great Eddie Guerrero: "Lie, cheat, steal" (just bring us wins!)

eddie guerrero GIF

Last edited:
So a coach that had beaten #3 Oklahoma 2x, #6 UGA, #11 Utah, and #3 Louisville is a Miami move? The man took UT to their first big 12 championships since 2009, had most players drafted since 2015 in UT, has won a conference title, identified great QBs as an HC and OC, and is 5-0 in bowl games. A Miami move would be to hire Lashlee after another national search because it's Miami or any other coordinator.

What realistic coaching hire do you favor that has this man's winning record/resume?

Miami would be lucky to get a Herman, Freeze, or Cristobal.

Had to get that off my chest....

So a coach that had beaten #3 Oklahoma 2x, #6 UGA, #11 Utah, and #3 Louisville is a Miami move? The man took UT to their first big 12 championships since 2009, had most players drafted since 2015 in UT, has won a conference title, identified great QBs as an HC and OC, and is 5-0 in bowl games. A Miami move would be to hire Lashlee after another national search because it's Miami or any other coordinator.

What realistic coaching hire do you favor that has this man's winning record/resume?

Respect your opinion, brother!

Advertisement

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

I would not mind if Herman came here. Texas isn't for everyone. An hopefully he has learned from having a big job and will take those experiences with at his next job. An I think he could recruit some great players here.

Only issue with Tom Herman is that he eventually alienated the boosters/fan base and some of the players because he's an *******. I don't normally mind ******** as long as they win. Also, his longest stint in a gig is 3 years. That would be my other concern. I know we all talk about how this program is a stepping stone for coaches and whatnot but i gotta think we need some stability considering we've had garbage coaches for the past 20 years.

As I and others have pointed out many times, despite having unlimited resources and the ability to buy any recruit in the country, they have a grand total of 1 championship since 1970, and it only happened because they had a once in a generation talent at QB. There is something systemically wrong at Texas (and it has a lot to do with the boosters).
Great point.

It's a state built on dik-swingin' contests and few are equipped or (in Saban's case) willing to deal with egomanical boosters who feel entitled to having a voice on who to hire, who to recruit and what play to call on 3rd-and-7.

Mack Brown might've been only a so-so coach in some areas, but he was at the head of the class when it came to keeping big wheels content.

Heck, if it hadn't been for all those ridiculous blow-out losses to the Sooners, he still might be coaching the Horns.

Advertisement
I don’t think Houston and south Florida are that different and he did pretty well at UH. The real difference I keeps hitting on is Texas coaches are gonna try to do whatever to keep their studs in Texas no matter where they play. And they also aren’t handlers. It seem in south Florida a lot of those guys and programs are selling their guys to the highest bidder if they can and you almost can’t recruit a kid if you don’t go through them

So why exactly would miami be a bad fit for herman?

80% of threads on page 1 are related to replacing a HC who hasn't been fired yet.

Mods: gain control of this situation or I'll take my business to TOS
I am tired of it as well but if we stop people from posting about:
a. who will be the next head coach
b. Can Manny save his job if ____________

then we will literally have nothing else to discuss. We have not had a game to complain about in 11 days. We have all basically stopped paying attention to recruiting as we fear it's just more bad news. So either we discuss nothing (I'm ok with that for right now), or we let people re-hash the same 2 topics in various threads.

Advertisement
6 games ago Stoops had a career losing record at Kentucky. Now he is a proven head coach.

Interdasting... Maybe it takes proven guys like Stoops 9 years to figure it out...

2 games ago Dave Clawson had a losing record at Wake.

Interdasting... Maybe it takes proven guys like Dave Clawson 8 years to figure it out...

Hugh Freeze has had 1 good P5 season...
How many coaches have winning records at UK in their first 8 years? Bear Bryant?

Is Mario a better coach than Herman?
Is Mario a elite hc? Too soon to tell but Herman is better than Diaz. Won all 4 bowl games at Texas. Then again, I would wager 75% of posters here would be better then Diaz and that’s a conservative estimate

I see you mentioned somehting about handlers and how Texas generally doesn't do that. Are you saying that Herman will have a hard time navigating the handler process in sofla?
Yeah sorry if it wasn’t clear. I don’t see him mixing well in that particular environment. All opinions though

Advertisement
Back