Today is zero barrier

This timing is plausible in only two scenarios:

1) Mario already said "I'm coming" (I doubt that).
2) The Plan B if Mario says "no" is retaining Diaz.
I disagree. It is not likely that any current head coach will depart his current school for Miami prior to his bowl game. We can wait until after the bowl.

Advertisement
That's glass half full interpretation. Assuming they committed to a HC without input from the new AD who's hiring is imminent. Possible but isn't that handcuffing the new AD?
Not if they know who the AD is and he's in agreement.

My point was to say there are valid reasons why they might not have had huge public displays of firings and advertising job openings.

I disagree. It is not likely that any current head coach will depart his current school for Miami prior to his bowl game. We can wait until after the bowl.
Oh yeah, we can wait for the new HC until after the bowl games.

The thing that is difficult for me is: find the AD, fire Diaz and do a proper search for the new HC in that same span of time.

Does anyone have an example of a coach being fired later than the day after the season? I’m guessing there are examples but I can’t think of any.

I do understand no AD makes this unique.

Tom Herman last year.

Texas bowl game last was December 28th and he was fired 5 days later on January 2nd.

Lsu, Florida, usc….

LSU and USC fired coaches near the beginning of the season, and there was never a comparison of "let's wait a week and we can save millions". The buyout had NOTHING to do with the timing of those decisions.

Florida's timing was because the team had given up on Mullet. Literally. You could see it on the field. And they played harder and won this week without Mullet.

Whether you like it or not, Miami has hung together with Mario still coaching us, they never quit on the coach or the team.

So let's try to compare apples-to-apples and oranges-to-oranges. The LSU, Florida, and USC firings did not involve POSSIBLE timing that would POSSIBLY impact the size of the buyout, where the decision-makers just said "fvck it, let's pay millions extra just to make our fanbase happy". Just didn't happen that way.

Advertisement
Oh yeah, we can wait for the new HC until after the bowl games.

The thing that is difficult for me is: find the AD, fire Diaz and do a proper search for the new HC in that same span of time.
But you're assuming two things:

1) That the new AD will do an actual, honest, sit-down assessment of whether to fire Diaz or not. IMO, that decision has already been made.
2) That an actual search process will be undertaken to hire a new HC. IMO, that decision too has already been made.

Based on what DMoney has told us, these decisions have already been reached by the BOT. I think an AD hire can give a pretext to fire Manny but IMO, the likelihood is that any AD coming on is blessing these two decisions as a precondition of jumping on board here.

But you're assuming two things:

1) That the new AD will do an actual, honest, sit-down assessment of whether to fire Diaz or not. IMO, that decision has already been made.
2) That an actual search process will be undertaken to hire a new HC. IMO, that decision too has already been made.

Based on what DMoney has told us, these decisions have already been reached by the BOT. I think an AD hire can give a pretext to fire Manny but IMO, the likelihood is that any AD coming on is blessing these two decisions as a precondition of jumping on board here.
I hope you're right, this would be the best-case scenario.

So you go let him recruit for 72 hours and then fire him?

Or 144. Or whatever it ends up being. We have a December Signing Day. I'm sure that Echevarria and Fernandez have described the long-term benefits of being a team player in this situation.

So how does it work?
First of all, we gotta have an AD. We’re not firing anybody without making that hire. It would look really amateurish if we did, and from all accounts, Frank and crew are not trying to give off that vibe. The AD will be the “hatchet man”. New guys are always the ones that come in chopping heads. If Manny is still employed as the HC, longer than a week after we name an AD…. then I would begin to worry.

Advertisement
Actually to be fair, that kind of sounds like what we did last year giving Temple 4 million to buy Manny back.

Now it wasn't at the behest of the fans, it was moreso to satisfy the BOT? The AD....Truthfully I am not too sure why that hiring was rushed like that after Rucht retired.

Different situation. We were not expecting Richt to go from "yeah, here are my plans for next year" to "nah, I'mma retire before I fire my son" over the timespan of one weekend.

If Manny isn’t fired today, he’s not going to be.

Am I wrong in thinking that? The season is over. Almost all firings take place the day after the season, if not in-season. I know we don’t have an AD, but if he’s not going to be here next year, what good does keeping him until tomorrow or beyond do?

Tell me I’m wrong here because I don’t want to cry myself to sleep tonight.
Yes

LSU and USC fired coaches near the beginning of the season, and there was never a comparison of "let's wait a week and we can save millions". The buyout had NOTHING to do with the timing of those decisions.

Florida's timing was because the team had given up on Mullet. Literally. You could see it on the field. And they played harder and won this week without Mullet.

Whether you like it or not, Miami has hung together with Mario still coaching us, they never quit on the coach or the team.

So let's try to compare apples-to-apples and oranges-to-oranges. The LSU, Florida, and USC firings did not involve POSSIBLE timing that would POSSIBLY impact the size of the buyout, where the decision-makers just said "fvck it, let's pay millions extra just to make our fanbase happy". Just didn't happen that way.
Exactly, they didn’t care about the buyout and that didn’t prevent them from making the move right away. The reason it’s not apples to apples right now is because Miami hasn’t had the balls to fire him when he should have been in September or October like the other schools did. Though some say it is already done, it’s really not. These other schools did it right away and that’s the difference between Miami and how big time football schools view their program which was the point. Lsu and Florida just gave both their coaches huge extensions that they were willing to eat immediately in order to better the program. Miami would never fire a coach 6 months after giving him a raise and extension

And what has the team hanging together gotten us? Recruiting still sucks, bowl game will suck. And now there is a possibility imo that manny will stay if they can’t get someone on their wish list

Last edited:
No, it isn't. You don't have an AD. It's the job of the AD to hire and fire the football coach. Hire a competent AD and let him make the decision on Manny.

Advertisement
The reason it’s not apples to apples right now is because Miami hasn’t had the balls to fire him when he should have been in September or October like the other schools did. Though some say it is already done, it’s really not. These other schools did it right away and that’s the difference between Miami and how big time football schools view their program which was the point. Lsu and Florida just gave both their coaches huge extensions that they were willing to eat immediately in order to better the program. Miami would never fire a coach 6 months after giving him a raise and extension

And what has the team hanging together gotten us? Recruiting still sucks, bowl game will suck. And now there is a possibility imo that manny will stay if they can’t get someone on their wish list

OK, I can acknowledge your first sentence. But once we committed to the full season (or some close facsimile thereof), the last week or two really don't make much of a difference.

Again, I'm sticking to my assessment/educated guess that a peaceful transition of power will be beneficial to multiple parties, including recruits who might be more prone to leave/eliminate a school if there is a turbulent turnover.

Let the kids know that we peacefully and amicably upgraded at HC, and you have a better chance of retaining/signing them.

You keep hanging on this "possibility" of keeping Manny. Even Ferman retracted himself on that issue.

OK, I can acknowledge your first sentence. But once we committed to the full season (or some close facsimile thereof), the last week or two really don't make much of a difference.

Again, I'm sticking to my assessment/educated guess that a peaceful transition of power will be beneficial to multiple parties, including recruits who might be more prone to leave/eliminate a school if there is a turbulent turnover.

Let the kids know that we peacefully and amicably upgraded at HC, and you have a better chance of retaining/signing them.

You keep hanging on this "possibility" of keeping Manny. Even Ferman retracted himself on that issue.
We can fire Manny, but what good does it do, when we don't have an AD to make a hiring decision? To a certain extent, it looks like meddling by the President and BOT if they fire him. Focus on the AD hiring and let the AD make the decision on Manny.

Exactly what benefit would there have been to let him go any sooner? Like @TheOriginalCane said, the team still plays hard for him. This gives him an opportunity to find a decent landing spot without the stigma of being a coach fired mid season. For everything else, it makes no difference at all.

Advertisement
Different situation. We were not expecting Richt to go from "yeah, here are my plans for next year" to "nah, I'mma retire before I fire my son" over the timespan of one weekend.
The problem is James waited until after the bowl game, way too late again, to have the conversation with richt on getting rid of his son and hiring an oc. Another example of an obvious problem being dealt with too late which caused us to be reactive instead of proactive. And was it really so impractical to think richt would refuse to fire his son or hire a new oc, when he had been running his offense for 20 years?

No, it isn't. You don't have an AD. It's the job of the AD to hire and fire the football coach. Hire a competent AD and let him make the decision on Manny.
Why should the AD have to clean up a mess that isn’t his? Blake got fired because of Manny. Clean up the previous mess and let the new AD hire his own guy.

The job is a lot more appealing without existing problems that he has to deal with immediately.

It’s not that simple, and I don’t think he’s recruiting anyway. He’s not oblivious. You fire him before the buyout if you think he’s going to do damage to the program, that’s when it makes sense.
OCCC I totally agree about not leaving $2M on the table. I wrote in one of the many threads about timing that it would be later this coming week. So, I think you're right.

As I see it, Manny is an employee of the University of Miami, and like every employee at UM has to answer to his superiors. Our administration can shut Manny down without firing him. I imagine that directive would come through Jennifer Strawley.

And if he goes against that directive to stop recruiting, etc. then I am confident he would be violation of the terms in his contract.

I have to believe UM has in place a set of procedures for handling the dismissal of senior executives in a way that protects the institution. I would imagine that also would apply to football.

If you’re not going to get better then why make the move? If we dont get our target then I bet we stick with what we have

I get the whole dc and OC thing, but you’re an emotional fan, not a decision maker
This is the one scenario where I could possibly see Manny staying. If you cannot get the right candidate, then you don’t want to restart the tenure clock with the next “Manny Diaz” when this version can be fired anytime that is convenient for the school.

No part of this post should be interpreted as advocating for him to stay.

Advertisement
Back