To put things in perspective.

IcemanArcade

Go Canes
“Mario isn’t the guy” “Mario is west coast Manny” “Mario is 61-50” “Mario wouldn’t get it done here, #Lanetrain”

First off let’s just say that it’s Mario or bust.

Do y’all hear how y’all sound? It’s okay to be somewhat of a septic with Cristobal, but some of you guys have gone so far in the Mario hate rabbit hole that you’re either justifying keeping Manny, or you’re sounding too entitled. Let me put things into context, for a sec, forget about Mario the former UM player, Alumni and Coach. Give me football related reasons why Mario should leave Oregon to coach at the U?…. Exactly you cannot think of any outside of maybe Van Dyke. Everyone knows this, UM isn’t some hot tier 1 school, we’re barely relevant outside of what we did 20+ years ago. The entire reasoning for Mario leaving all that he built in Oregon and that easy *** conference is literally based on an emotional attachment to this school and program. Mario wasn’t fired by Oregon like Richt with UGA, he isn’t some former player on the hot seat trying to save his *** by leaving for UM. Mario was offered an extension by Oregon this week, they clearly want to keep him. Oregon fans don’t want him to go, Oregon football program doesn’t want him to go, Phil knight doesn’t want him to go. Had he not have an attachment to this school and city, he wouldn’t have entertained us or given us a thought. Like bruh, he’s doing us the favor. I know many of you want Lane but clearly the decision makers aren’t enamored with Lane. There isn’t much of a better option than Cristobal from what’s left. USC got their guy. LSU got their guy. UF got their guy. If it’s truly Mario or Manny. Why on Gods green earth are you already declaring the move for Cristobal a failure for the program? If Cristobal is THEIR guy than he’s THE guy.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
Like it’s insane how half of these people don’t want a coach who’s clearly an upgrade over Manny, going so far as to justify keeping Diaz in spite of Mario. Shts crazy

You realize it’s possible to want a coaching change while at the same time being wary of forking over $80 million for Mario right?

You realize it’s possible to want a coaching change while at the same time being wary of forking over $80 million for Mario right?
So who’s the coach with a better resume than Cristobal outside of Kiffen and I already explained the whole Kiffen thing.

Advertisement
I guess I just don’t see the issue with criticizing a coach that gets his *** handed to him twice by Utah. Lower the expectations with his potential hire and you may be pleasantly surprised. Don’t crown the guy as the savior of this program. If the school throws its weight behind Mario and gives him the kind of backing and support that’s being rumored in terms of staff and overall structural resources, then I’ll buy season tickets again.

But I’ll be skeptical of Mario the head coach until I see the results on the field with him at the helm.

We better not go 7-5 again next year.

I don’t care how long a leash you all think he deserves to turn this around.

When you have to talk up and makes excuses for the potential new guy like we're seeing with Mario now, he's most likely not the right guy.

You want your fan base and potential recruits to be all in on the guy. These two games against Utah are consistent with what's gotten the last three guys here fired.

They say timing is everything. If they hire Mario now, so be it. The timing is off though, he's looking bruised and battered.

Not only that, but we would be paying out a lot of money to get one guy out of here and the new guy in. Buyouts will be more money than what we've paid Manny his entire time here. It's not my money, I don't care, but **** it's a lot of coin for a ho hum hire.

I guess I just don’t see the issue with criticizing a coach that gets his *** handed to him twice by Utah. Lower the expectations with his potential hire and you may be pleasantly surprised. Don’t crown the guy as the savior of this program. If the school throws its weight behind Mario and gives him the kind of backing and support that’s being rumored in terms of staff and overall structural resources then I’ll buy season tickets again.

But I’ll be skeptical of Mario the head coach until I see the results on the field with him at the helm.

Solid post and a good way to look at things.

I just don't see him being worth all the money he'll cost to just get here, nevermind what it'll cost through the years.

Advertisement
He’s one of the best recruiters in the country. He’d kill it here. Even if all he does is get us back into CFP contention and brings in talent, it is a huge huge upgrade

And THIS is the problem.

They make a home run AD hire and then limit their HC options to Manny or Mario?
I definitely don’t agree with it. But again putting things into perspective. Some in the BOT have wanted Mario since last coaching hire. He only bumped his stock since then. The decision to replace Manny was made before Blake James firing. USC identified their guy and they got him. LSU got their guy. UF got their guy. Even ND promoted without really doing a major search. We aren’t the only ones.

Advertisement
You all are over blowing these loses. The team quit on him cause they knew they didn’t have a chance because their qb sucks. Did you watch the game? The guy couldn’t throw 5 yards.

Yea some of that’s on Mario, but let’s not act like if they had at least an average qb who wasn’t injured the score wouldn’t have been different.

I guess I just don’t see the issue with criticizing a coach that gets his *** handed to him twice by Utah. Lower the expectations with his potential hire and you may be pleasantly surprised. Don’t crown the guy as the savior of this program. If the school throws its weight behind Mario and gives him the kind of backing and support that’s being rumored in terms of staff and overall structural resources, then I’ll buy season tickets again.

Just like you stated. As much as I want a bigger pool of candidates. Mario is clearly the guy they want to back up and support. And his floor with the resources allocated is what he is at Oregon which would still mean multiple 10+ wins and top 12 recruiting classes.

Advertisement
Back