To all the folks who want to hire an experienced DC

MIATL

Senior
Do y'all realize that Jeremy Pruitt and DJ Durkin had NEVER coordinated a college defense before 2013. Prior to that time, both had only been position coaches.

I make this point to prepare some of y'all IF Coach Richt decides not to hire a gray beard.

Just because a guy hasn't ever called the D doesn't mean he can't. If he comes from a great staff, he's likely to be able to get the job done.

I have no inside scoop, and we may get the experienced DC some of y'all are calling for. And if so, no complaints from me.

But Pruitt and Durkin demonstrate that hiring a young guy can be a home run!

Advertisement
Do y'all realize that Jeremy Pruitt and DJ Durkin had NEVER coordinated a college defense before 2013. Prior to that time, both had only been position coaches.

I make this point to prepare some of y'all IF Coach Richt decides not to hire a gray beard.

Just because a guy hasn't ever called the D doesn't mean he can't. If he comes from a great staff, he's likely to be able to get the job done.

I have no inside scoop, and we may get the experienced DC some of y'all are calling for. And if so, no complaints from me.

This

It's not that we couldn't get lucky with an upstart... it's that, given where this program has been as of late, we can't afford to take a chance on an unproven DC.

Advertisement
Ed Orgeron, Winston Moss or bust!

I demand an inexperienced DC even though we have over $1M to spend on one.

I would like an experienced Coordinator because if we are upping the total compensation for assistants, I don't want to be paying 800K-1m for someone to learn on the job.

Right on point!!! I have brought that exact point and have gotten land blasted by our so called "Canes Fans". I have seen the exact same great results from many so called inexperienced DC's in their first year as DC's. Fyi, Michael Barrow, former Canes great, coach and current Seahawks LB's coach was in Orlando watching the High School Championship games during the same time Richt was there. Wonder why Michael would fly across country just to watch High School games in FLA? I've seen stranger things happen!

Advertisement

It's not that we couldn't get lucky with an upstart... it's that, given where this program has been as of late, we can't afford to take a chance on an unproven DC.

This^

Durkin was DC under Muscorch. Even if he wasn't calling the plays then (which I don't know), he surely was when he was made interim HC.

So we finally are seemingly willing to spend money on a legit staff yet some of you are still intrigued by the idea of spotting potential in a positions corch? Yeahhh, I'm cool with getting a proven commodity to fix the biggest issue with this team rather than hoping to one day pat myself on the back for spotting that diamond in the rough before anyone else.

I would like an experienced Coordinator because if we are upping the total compensation for assistants, I don't want to be paying 800K-1m for someone to learn on the job.

Why do you hate America? Give me inexperience or give me death!

richt got fired, he is not coming here to test things out. he is coming here to win and stick it to the AD at UGA.

Advertisement

Right on point!!! I have brought that exact point and have gotten land blasted by our so called "Canes Fans". I have seen the exact same great results from many so called inexperienced DC's in their first year as DC's. Fyi, Michael Barrow, former Canes great, coach and current Seahawks LB's coach was in Orlando watching the High School Championship games during the same time Richt was there. Wonder why Michael would fly across country just to watch High School games in FLA? I've seen stranger things happen!

LOL at "land blasted". You can't make this comedy up.

Durkin and Pruitt were considered both sharp up and comers. It's a boom or bust approach that worked in their favor. Don't know if our program is at a state where we can afford a bust. Especially, with how bad the defense is. When Pruitt was hired at FSU they were in a good place and the same with Durkin at U***. Our situation is very different where our program is at the crossroads. The concept of hiring the up and comer isn't a bad one but does it apply to the situation where they are being hired is the real question. At Miami we need someone proven that can fix the dumpster fire they are inheriting.

Richt basically said he's going to turn over the defense to his DC because he wants to focus on offense. I'd prefer he not turn it over to a first-timer. Not right now.

Advertisement

With all due respect sir, this University needs to stop being the one to give people their first opportunities at coaching and start being the one that poaches the best. No more experiments. We have tried that for way too long. We need proven coaches across the board with exceptional resumes. The employee of the year at McDonalds doesn't get promoted to an Office job at their headquarters. Gotta pay ya dues man.

A good coach is a good coach is a good coach is a good coach, regardless of experience level. All it takes is for the headman to have that eye for that good coach and a vision for him, as Saban, Meyer and those coaches do.

You guys are just very gun shy. That's all.

Since will be calling plays on offense, I am assuming that will take some responsibility off the OC and place less emphasis on that particular hire and potential salary. I would think this would give a little more leverage to pay the DC. If this is the case, I wouldn't mind seeing an experienced but also ambitious DC that could eventually move on to HC or the NFL as a DC, but only if there is a younger and gifted, but not necessarily experienced coach who has a lot of potential. Hopefully the DC will be someone who is able to not just coach players, but also raise up some good assistants that could takeover as DC.

LOL at "land blasted". You can't make this comedy up.

It means "lambasted"... in a real estate/land kind of Way... just go with it.

Advertisement
Back