Tirek Austin-Cave up to 233

Advertisement
Probably going to happen if someone else doesn’t step up. Flagg will understand the defense and be able to make the calls/line guys up at least
I think Chase gets majority of snaps at Mike with Flagg getting maybe 20 or 30% snaps. With Keyontra and Wes getting all the snaps at outside backer, along with Gil as a nickle corner safety

I liked Tirek Austin-Cave coming out...I liked his highlight film because what he does best is what I liked from my own Mike linebackers IRL.

However, the highlights did show a limited player, which was a theme with most of the linebackers Manny Diaz took. Bunch of small downhill only types.
The HC/DC couldn’t recruit a LB and that was his position group, my god was Mandy awful.

Absolutely. That's accurate too. But you gotta remember like you said it was something that was done sparingly for chase. It may sound stupid to say but in some instance no knowledge is better than all of it. Anotherwords linebacker is one of those positions where just instincts and attacking the ball can make a world of difference opposed to being someone who simply goes out and does your role inside of the gameplay. I'm not saying at all that those dudes had mastered Mandy's gameplay and they were playing good or even decent inside of it. But playcalling like Mandy was doing is based all upon a body here and a body there. It's misdirection and having people attack in what Mandy perceived as blind spots. For most in the know for football you'd see that broke down and our weaknesses at linebacker and at end were exposed when our tackles started being an issue. That defense started with simply having tackles able to account for multiple bodies and creating mismatches for ends,outside backers or strong safeties... It was a food chain essentially. Now kids will be asked to play inside of what should be there strengths. We'll find out quickly which ones are simply jags and which ones have just been getting bad coaching.bmyself I can't wait to see Chase,tirek & sam with these coaches... Just hoping Sam is still a possibility.
I have always thought Brooks was going to be a stud, hopefully he can get/stay healthy.

Advertisement
When you say it hasn't clicked yet can you expand upon that? Is he not trusting his instincts and reacting too slow? Is he hitting the wrong run fits and leaving creases? Can't call the defense for the front 7? A combination of all of it?
I take it as more of a not given the reps. Rather him cut his teeth now with a real DC and Lb coach. Kid is talented

Flagg seems like modern day Glen Cook...
I think this is correct. And everybody kept trying to replace cook to no avail.

We need at minimum 4 linebackers. If there is no portal activity I’d be very surprised if Flagg is not one of the four. I suspect he’ll probably be the primary middle linebacker to start and if somebody can demonstrate proficiency they can start to take his time.

Advertisement
I think Chase gets majority of snaps at Mike with Flagg getting maybe 20 or 30% snaps. With Keyontra and Wes getting all the snaps at outside backer, along with Gil as a nickle corner safety

How much did chase weigh? I thought I saw somewhere he is like 210.

He was handicpaped BEFORE that...hence his dad having to confront...because the past coaches were lying to him weekly about chances/shot at playing. He also advised he knew ALL of the LB positions.
I'm not understanding. You're saying he knew all the LB positions, but couldn't get on the field? If that's the case, then things worse than I thought?

Advertisement
Serious question, what the **** was Manny doing? LB room is like the planet of 'misfit toys'. Tons of tweeners; thankfully many are still young and may fill out, but K.Smith, Huff, Chase, Troutman (who else?) all looking like smallish LB-S types. I know, Striker.
Then the guys that are built like LB's can't play. Thankfully TAC is looking the part at 233, but can he play? Add Thomas Davis - undersized DE or LB? Oh, and Brooks - the HS pass rusher turned LB. Geez Manny..smh.

*here to co-sign Steed getting a look at Mike.

In short, he was doing nothing besides trying to create pressure. Bro, get to the QB, doesn't matter if you don't set the edge. Doesn't matter if you have zero gap integrity.

Bro, that play worked for them because you didn't get to the QB.

Manny's defense was a joke.

Advertisement
Hard to assess lb play when they were basically not coached up and it was a free for all during plays because of Manny's intentionally chaotic defense.

Scheme will be different this year and hopefully more disciplined which will make lbs look much better. But I will trust who they start out there no matter who it is.
I will completely question them if Flagg is first team
That is not acceptable
That’s a corch move
Unless he takes roids he is not going go get physically good enough to be playing here

Poor Flagg...... so many haters.
I'd love nothing than all the players that have been pedestrian (nice word for JAG) to have breakout seasons. However, my expectation from Flagg, Ivey, Mallory, entire DL upperclass, OL is disappointment.

If he is, we know he earned it is how I'm looking at it. Whether he starts or is the backup, the middle is the only lb position he could play because of his lack of speed. They say he was our smartest lb, so if he doesn't leave after spring, he's going to play, maybe not as much, but who knows.

Let's see how these kids respond to real coaching.
Flags issues is not scheme or coaching
He’s just too slow and unable to get off blocks
He’s a g5 player at best
He would only work if we had a stud dline that ate up all the oline
But that’s not the case
We need a lb thst can either run past blockers or get off blockers
Flagg can’t do either

Advertisement
Back