Tired of making the same post

View as article
A mesh of the two. Definitely needs to get more creative with spacing BUT you also can't sell that out and expose your hand. We need defenses respecting the run & fearing the pass. I'm sure it's gonna bore everyone but I'd say we need to run more two tight end sets for the purpose of the passing game. I'd like to see skinner utilized in the passing game far more often. He's the most talented option we have out there. I think only way any of this becomes options is if we test out options further down the chart in wr room. After a&m I've seen everything I needed to see out of Redding to know he shouldn't be on the field. Only ones I'm ready to say I'm comfortable with from a results stand point is x , key & breshard. Past that were gonna have to get creative. I've always felt decent about jacolby but after seeing his effort level against what he viewed as superior talent, I'm not gonna give him a pass again.
D....I've been hollering for 2 TE sets till I'm blue in the face....Soooo many variations too boot. That stagnant *** Gameplan I saw Sat will be our undoing, if we don't change things quickly.

Advertisement
@Coach Macho @Brooklyndee @SouthParkCane - A lot of the talk has been on Gattis the playcaller. I was wondering if any of you three have any thoughts on Gattis the WR coach from what you saw in spring, fall camp, and now the first three weeks. I think we all agree we need an infusion of speed and top end talent mixed with a total change in scheme. That said, how is he as a teacher implementing what he wants these guys to do? He got a Vandy WR to All SEC, had the one year with Jeudy at Bama, and developed some guys at Michigan, but obviously we have not seen any of that translate here very early on.
Great question. On gattis the wr coach it’s too to say for me if he’s good or bad but a lot of the guys he has developed or taken their game to another level have 1 thing in common. They were all pretty good route runners coming out of hs. I think in Miami he has two guys who run above average routes in restrepo and george. He’s extremely particular in his teachings and it jumps out if you just watch the WR’s. They look like they’re thinking every step of their route but that’s because they are. Simplified in lashelee’s scheme it was run to a spot and based upon the coverage you’re open or not. Gattis teaches a lot more sight adjustments and he teaches 5 different ways to run the same route (think of that Keyshawn comeback that was missed). All in all give it time

Great question. On gattis the wr coach it’s too to say for me if he’s good or bad but a lot of the guys he has developed or taken their game to another level have 1 thing in common. They were all pretty good route runners coming out of hs. I think in Miami he has two guys who run above average routes in restrepo and george. He’s extremely particular in his teachings and it jumps out if you just watch the WR’s. They look like they’re thinking every step of their route but that’s because they are. Simplified in lashelee’s scheme it was run to a spot and based upon the coverage you’re open or not. Gattis teaches a lot more sight adjustments and he teaches 5 different ways to run the same route (think of that Keyshawn comeback that was missed). All in all give it time
Appreciate the response and insight as always. To me, when I think of lethal simplicity or whatever other term has been coined for some of these college offenses, it comes back to the practice hour limits. I just don't understand how you are supposed to teach overly complicated concepts given that. How do these concepts compare to Bama or Ole Miss or Riley at USC? Does the portal make it more or less difficult, if any impact at all?

They used motion so well to pull the D and even the fans eyes to one spot and then hit you with the pass to a different spot. It was beautiful.

Kind of reminded me of the shifts & motions that Stanford use to run when Luck was there, except UW did it from spread, beautiful indeed.

Advertisement
I’m not saying fire the dude , I’m saying he’s paid to put kids in better positions. Make the qb comfortable and play to his strengths. Or is he just married to what he does? I said before the season kids are having issues picking this scheme up and it’s an enormous change. I Know my boy @Liberty City El has remained quiet, maybe he’s busy.
@Liberty City El
You know we both on the same page when it comes to Gattis. But this board will crucify you if you have a different opinion.

"Wait and see"...

Appreciate the response and insight as always. To me, when I think of lethal simplicity or whatever other term has been coined for some of these college offenses, it comes back to the practice hour limits. I just don't understand how you are supposed to teach overly complicated concepts given that. How do these concepts compare to Bama or Ole Miss or Riley at USC? Does the portal make it more or less difficult, if any impact at all?
I keep seeing people say this is the same scheme the top teams use and that’s not true. So we gotta stop that as a fan base. Bama at their heart would like to pass to see up the run game now. Unfortunately for them their wr talent doesn’t meet their standard. Riley and lashlee are closer to kin in their offense except Riley is way more advanced in his power run game. He can run it 5 different ways out of multiple formations. Passing concepts aren’t all that different, find a spot, know how to recognize said spot, if said spot is not there sit down here, type of teaching

Advertisement
They were just talking about how important WR is on NFL live in today’s game. Used the Titans as example of what happens when you don’t have an elite WR and used AJ Brown as an example of what happens when one moves to another team like Philly.
Hill to Miami is gonna save Tua’s career. Diggs to Josh Allen helped turn him into a superhuman. Lord forbid someone trades for justin Jefferson. The proof is in the kidding man. QB, WR, everything else

The fact that we're even having these conversations that Gattis needs to use more spacing, go uptempo etc is making me so **** angry. It's 2022! We shouldn't be clamoring for a **** spread offense at this point in college football. The only teams that haven't gone spread are Wisconsin, Iowa and Illinois. What the fck are we doing?

Didn't Gattis learn under Joe Moorhead? Where are all the RPOs that got Moorhead a head coaching gig and Gattis hired by Michigan to upgrade their offense? ******* groundhog day with this program.

"Speed in space" my ***. Dan Enos sold us that same bill of goods.

I keep seeing people say this is the same scheme the top teams use and that’s not true. So we gotta stop that as a fan base. Bama at their heart would like to pass to see up the run game now. Unfortunately for them their wr talent doesn’t meet their standard. Riley and lashlee are closer to kin in their offense except Riley is way more advanced in his power run game. He can run it 5 different ways out of multiple formations. Passing concepts aren’t all that different, find a spot, know how to recognize said spot, if said spot is not there sit down here, type of teaching
I think Saban at his heart would still rather play LSU in a 12-6 game, but likes winning more than his dogmatic belief in that kind of football. I think people who think Bama still runs this type of offense haven't watched them much and associate them with Derrick Henry and somehow extrapolate from there. But its been a minute since that was their style of play. I hope Mario has a similar realization and learned Saban's adaptability during his time there, not just how to build a program.

Advertisement
Correct me if I'm wrong, but an RPO means it's either a handoff to the running back or a pass. No? Giving the QB the option to hand off, throw or run it himself is a different football term (I believe it's the triple option zone read).

Whatever it is, "RPO" is a commonly used (misused?) term to cover that kind of on-the-spot decision in the mesh point. I'm no OC, so if I've misused the terminology, apologies to all the coaches on the board.

Point being, whatever happens in that spot, even if it's triple option zone read, delays action on the part of the OL and the QB, each of which has different impacts.

Still interesting to discuss, though.

Short side was the toss. But that was the issue. Was supposed to go naked. Certainly won't argue that rpo was the best of calls in that instance especially considering Tyler keeps the ball. But it gives us versatility & instills confidence in Tyler's read. Hindsight put skinner outside and run a fade or bring in jacurri for that rpo. We have sets for jacurri that I wouldn't have minded seeing in that spot.

Only short side run I've ever really been a fan of is back in your era, when Butch would set up that short-side sweep with Edge or James Jackson. But we would motherfvggin' SEAL OFF the perimeter, so that once our RB turned upfield, he had about 20 yards of open grass to run through. Good lord, I loved seeing the late 1990s Canes run that play...

I'll tell you what, I was watching the Michigan St. vs UW game Saturday, and man was I impressed by UW's use of shifts and motions.

How dare you minimize Miami's ground-breaking and innovative "move the RB to the other side" shift that happened on about 90% of our "look at me" plays when TVD looked to the sidelines...

Advertisement
The fact that we're even having these conversations that Gattis needs to use more spacing, go uptempo etc is making me so **** angry. It's 2022! We shouldn't be clamoring for a **** spread offense at this point in college football. The only teams that haven't gone spread are Wisconsin, Iowa and Illinois. What the fck are we doing?

Didn't Gattis learn under Joe Moorhead? Where are all the RPOs that got Moorhead a head coaching gig and Gattis hired by Michigan to upgrade their offense? ******* groundhog day with this program.

"Speed in space" my ***. Dan Enos sold us that same bill of goods.
I was reading Michigan articles about Gattis and their articles mentioned he was hired by Harbaugh to integrate spread into their offense.

I know some folks here-including some good posters-claim they've seen enough already; but that's why I want to see some more before I make any judgments on Gattis. There's stuff all over the place.

@Brooklyndee as if Coker was some recruiting savant or something. @TheOriginalCane name ONE quality FB player that signed with UM because of Coker??...You can't...but I can name a bunch we lost because of him. I will NEVER forgive him for firing Sarge and Kehoe to save his ***...and THEN hire replacements that weren't half as good.

I pretty much agree with you, the only "celebrated" signing of Coker's that was "advertised" as having some sort of Coker impact was when he rolled up in the Escalade to pick up WW, though I'm sure you have inside info that WW signed with Miami for some completely different reason.

I'm talking about the steady loss of coaches like Chud too, not just the Sarge/Kehoe firing, though you are right, that was the worst insult of the bunch. I'm also alluding to a certain UM coach with some personal issues who started recruiting from the internet and missed a bunch of his in-person appointments, and I think you know who I'm talking about, since he was D-side.

I was reading Michigan articles about Gattis and their articles mentioned he was hired by Harbaugh to integrate spread into their offense.

I know some folks here-including some good posters-claim they've seen enough already; but that's why I want to see some more before I make any judgments on Gattis. There's stuff all over the place.
That's true. After that Tua-led Bama offense exploded with those four 1st-round WRs, Bama's offensive staff got raided.

Locksley went to be HC at Maryland, Diaz took Enos, and Michigan took Gattis.

Gattis was supposed to be revolutionize Michigan's offense. Problem is that never materialized. Their passing game did not really improve as Michigan fans hoped. Harbaugh made somebody (name escapes me) co-OC and the popular theory is that guy is the reason behind Michigan's offensive success in 2021, not Gattis.

Guess we'll see who deserves that credit. So far I'm disappointed in Gattis' offense for a guy who's learned under Joe Moorhead and Mike Locksley.

I dont think we took a knee. I think we just let atm run the clock out even tho we had all our timeouts left lol. it was most conservative bull**** corchy call ive seen. also scared as ****. you were content going down 7. you had plenty of time to drive the ball but nope. you were content with ATM just running the clock out.

Oh good lord, you know what I mean. "Take a knee" is a general description of giving up, not just a literal description of an action.

The point is, we took a TO at 53 seconds AFTER A FIRST DOWN, and then aTm had an incompletion on first down and they took a TO on second down with 43 seconds left. So what changed from 53 seconds to 43 seconds that Mario couldn't be bothered to use one of his two remaining TOs to give TVD about 30 seconds to take a few shots at the end zone?

It was just the wrong decision under the circumstances, but we effectively took a knee. With a few more seconds on the clock, we would have fielded a punt and taken the knee ourselves, physically and literally, not just spiritually.

Advertisement
Back