Tired of making the same post

View as article
Why in THE FVCK do these guys in here keep talking about WR's not being open?
There were multiple plays Saturday where TWO guys were wide open.
Some of these were big plays...some were drops...and some were completely missed by TVD.
you're not fitting everyones narrative. You only coach at a high level so therefore you're one of the people that "doesn't know football" or is "blind"...

Advertisement
Lol at A&M upper tier SEC team...they lose 4-5 games every yr...that's not upper tier...Only Bama and Georgia are Upper tier...
4 losses in the SEC West vs. a Miami team coming off a season where they lost to Virginia. Not too mention Bama and UGA are in a tier of their own nationally. A&M is absolutely in the 25% of the SEC in terms of talent.

enos ran the worst offense lol.

gattis got stuffed in the pass game by a bad team and an average depleted team. we didnt score the ball on ATM either. it looked no diff than it did under previous staffs sat night.
I still can’t get over the fact that T8&4 had two guys disqualified and 2 other DBs suspended and yet we made the game so simple from our offensive play calls and route trees for their backups (a few that were true freshmen) that our 1st Round QB had no one to throw to because of a poor scheme.

You should accidentally scheme someone open or run a route that will confuse a DB at least once into a mistake. Not a one though.

4 losses in the SEC West vs. a Miami team coming off a season where they lost to Virginia. Not too mention Bama and UGA are in a tier of their own nationally. A&M is absolutely in the 25% of the SEC in terms of talent.
In talent??...possibly..but not in coaching.

Advertisement
I understand. My serious answer is you can look at the stats in black and white but they don’t tell the story when I can point out moments for all 3 young wr’s last year where you thought to yourself there’s something there in lashlee’s offense. That’s not fair to say?
I remember last year not understanding how we brought in 3 guys that couldn't pass Wiggins or Pope on the depth chart. I remember last year hoping to see Breshard get more opportunities. I remember a lot of hope and want. Outside of 1 play here or there none of them showed any consistency or effectiveness. I honestly don't think it's an ability issue.

We heard Harley say he took it on himself to put in the work. Route running and catching require dedication to improve. Normally the GUY is the one grinding when no one is watching. Restrepo from all accounts is that even with his athletic deficiencies.

to me, the largest issue w that group is all of them are struggling w the same concepts.
It’s like being in a math class or history class or whatever and 29 out of 30 students fail the test despite them studying and working hard.

It’s not on the students. It’s on the teacher.

This man just legit does not like Gattis. And, I gotta be honest, this doesn't help your argument. Just running commentary as I am watching. I found there were more player errors in just this selection that I even thought going into this video.

First play was all Gattis (he also makes assumption about what coaching the players got and what they were told to do...for all we know WR cut his post shallow, we don't know and neither does this guy) and it was a bad play...but second play was all Cristobal considering it was a good play per this guy...third play, too (btw - he said two TE sets were all Harbaugh, and here Gattis is putting in multiple TE sets a lot in this game...just shows his bias). Two out of three plays were good playcalls and were praised.

Fourth play, Josh Gattis "can't get his players to block"...ok. This is stuff we can call a wash because none of us know what the blocking assignment was...but I'm not chalking that up to some sort of coaching error either. Fifth play...what looks like a dece RPO developing, false start on the offense, puts them behind schedule. Next play...the wheel route...but Keyshawn Smith is open underneath early on (bad play call or bad read? idk, and neither does he, but he blames Gattis on what could have been a poor route run by Parrish, too...I'll chalk this up to a wash, because we don't know what the playcall really asked for). He loved the seventh play call. Canes kick the field goal.

Next drive.

Sprint out, receiver doesn't close or TVD throws a ****ty pass, you choose. Next play, blockers stink and it wasn't exactly the best throw. Next play, straight man coverage, mesh to Parrish, who is wide open for what would put us deep in the red zone, dropped. From the 12, TVD throws an uncatchable ball into the 3rd row, but WRs aren't open either on the smash and 51 is wandering into nothingness leaving the end free to pressure...not a great playcall either, but execution issues, still. I'll call it a wash. Penalty puts us behind schedule. Double post (says its a good play call) and TVD puts into a aTm lineman's face and he even notes the WRs run ****ty routes. He says good run play, but pull guy misses his block. Play after that was just messy...no one is open and Redding gets his hands on the ball but no catch (poor call, poor execution of whatever the **** it was supposed to be).

4th Quarter plays...

All WRs are covered and TVD leaves the pocket to nothingness. Runs another sprint and this guy likes the sprint play. Play after is a bit of a mess. Guy in the video asks for the post...there is no post, but that also might be a poor route as well. idk and neither does this guy either way, its executed like ****, too, whatever it was. Next play, lil out to Mallory...bad throw by TVD, gave Mallory no chance to get up field and no blocking. Pivot route...WR ran that way short.

That was the video. A lot of things per his own words, and some of how I'd evaluate that with what little information we have.

Brother...there are more player related errors on that list than bad play calls. I'm not saying Gattis called a good game, there are several messy play calls in there...and I have said since the beginning it wasn't good, but look at all those player errors...and those are just the obvious ones. Missed blocks, penalties, poor ball placement, drops...and lets be honest, a whole lot of ****ty route running and dudes just not getting open.
Yea I stopped watching after the first play. My thoughts was the same as yours on that play. How would anyone that’s not in meetings or at practice know what they are coached to do in regards to adjusting a route on the fly?

Gattis is our Doc Rivers…some mind boggling decisions, sticks to his script over adjusting in game too much, pressers **** off fans, early hair loss, but can coach better than most of the rest. Unless frank ponce is Ty lue, we gotta stick with what we got for now

I have no loyalty to him, if it comes crashing down it does and I’ll light a ****tail on fire (pause)…. But I really believe he is a good OC. Time will tell
Lol Ponce as Ty Lue is cracking me up

This comment is gold

Advertisement
Here we go again hoping a tiger changes its strips, or is it a zebra, or is the phrase about leopards and their spots? Whatever, you get the point.

Mario's offense isn't going to all of a sudden become this hurry up, wide open offense that we hope for. Mario is doing exactly what he's done before and exactly what we all expected his offense to be--an unexciting, run-heavy, non-hurry up, unexplosive brand of offense. This is who Mario is and this should come as no surprise to any of you.

Gattis was brought in to install Cristobal's brand of football and we're seeing exactly that. Michigan fans, for the most part, didn't give a sh't when Gattis left. That should've concerned us. Oregon fans warned us about Cristobal handcuffing the offense and OCs. But we didn't listen. He had Joe Moorhead, who's like the Godfather of the RPO and their offense was still blah. What did you expect this offense to be?

funny how that works. 8 months isnt enough time though to develop a room (strong and Steele have done a fantastic job w that room)
This 1000%. I was so afraid how the linebackers would look in this game. The coaches (Steele and Charlie) have helped them so much with scheme to make them better or to play to their strengths better.

Lashlee & Likens did the same with the receivers last year (not so much the O-line and run game).

Gattis has to do a better job regarding the receivers. The room is what it is.

Last edited:
The writing was on the wall. Plenty of people on here said TVD’s numbers would fall off. And said Gattis and Mario run an offense that is slow and nothing like what should be done with our current roster. But the off season kool aid was flowing and nobody listened.

There are two options now. Change the offense, or change the QB.
That is the sad truth, and I bet neither happens of course.

BMW man is likely going to play until (God forbid) he has a game riddled with interceptions.

I like TVD, but personally, despite the drops, I didn't think he looked anywhere near as good as some of you are making out...

I thought so but I don't think < 10 catches <200 yards would fall into that category for me. Wasn't trying to be funny genuinely asking.
E465EC70-B7FD-4A1A-AE38-A27730D337E4.gif

Advertisement
I wish you’d gone with your first instinct.
You know I love ya bro (no homo) and appreciate what you bring. Just wanted to add a little perspective and hopefully help you stay away from the edge of that cliff.

Lmao Pipo are you telling me dropping 20 yard passes is better than dropping 5 yard passes? Please don't tell me yes.

View attachment 208884
No, I am talking about them being schemed to be open to make a play 20 yards down field vs the only open being the receiver that is open 5 yards down field.

A drop is a drop but if some dude is dropping passes 20 yards down field we aren’t all split on the OC like we are now. If the only option is an open 5 yard route obviously the ball needs to be caught but now that receiver also has to get the YAC necessary.

I still can’t get over the fact that T8&4 had two guys disqualified and 2 other DBs suspended and yet we made the game so simple from our offensive play calls and route trees for their backups (a few that were true freshmen) that our 1st Round QB had no one to throw to because of a poor scheme.

You should accidentally scheme someone open or run a route that will confuse a DB at least once into a mistake. Not a one though.
I think you need to watch the game again.

Advertisement
No, I am talking about them being schemed to be open to make a play 20 yards down field vs the only open being the receiver that is open 5 yards down field.

A drop is a drop but if some dude is dropping passes 20 yards down field we aren’t all split on the OC like we are now. If the only option is an open 5 yard route obviously the ball needs to be caught but now that receiver also has to get the YAC necessary.
What play did we run where the only option was a 5 yard route?

we will play way better QB's this year and give up more points, we wont see another game like this TAMU offense blows

What play did we run where the only option was a 5 yard route?
There were a few where TVD checked down to a shallow cross by a TE or WR. Some where misreads by him and some where that the WR had a safety on top and the only option was the exit hatch. Looking a the game again tonight. I’ll have fresher detailed examples then.

Like you’ve said before, not every play is going to work. Give credit to a defense. A player run an incorrect route, etc. it’s a mixed bag of things but Gattis is no different than any OC that escapes blame.

Advertisement
Back