Tired of making the same post

View as article
Advertisement
We all want it to be 10 but glaring holes on the roster mean it could be 10 or it could be 6. I wouldn't be shocked at either but I expect 8. Mario is here for the long haul. Either the coaching staff adapts to the roster and recruits better or we stay in the same mediocre hole as the last 20 years.
I like Mario and think he will lead us back. again, I dont think hes gonna be stubborn w his offense esp when the man is the ultimate recruiter.

Perhaps someone can explain this to me. In the 4th quarter when we had 4th down at the 3 yard line, the HC decided to kick a field goal rather than use that one play to try to score a TD. Apparently, he reasoned that we had a better chance of making that kick and then later scoring a TD AND thereafter making a 2 point conversion from the 2 yard line to tie the game. If you do not trust the team to score in one play from the 3 [earning at least 6 points so that another TD wins the game] how do you play for a tie game by stopping TAM and then scoring on our next possession AND then scoring 2 on one play from the 2? This felt very corch-like to me.
This this this. Love Mario but this a MAJOR red flag of corching and conservatism that isnt even logical (by looking at the odds)

Go look at his resume and offenses pre Weiss. Now go look at their offense now. Remember everyone here defending Gattis saying “ his pass game struggled because his qb’s were trash“? Now suddenly our wr’s can‘t block , get separation or catch. Oh and the qb looks like a different guy. Maybe he’s speaking the truth and you just don’t like it. He’s saying what me and others have been saying. I guess we have an agenda too? Most fans speak highly of a quality coach when he leaves , not all of them being happy he’s gone.
That's been an issue since before Gattis arrived, though. A guy pushed out of OU came here and was our best WR last year and it wasn't close. Harley was a decent WR2 last year, but most of what he did was catch a bubble and YAC it up. Not a single guy from our current WR room was able to ever take hold of that WR3 spot last year, nor did anyone ever even challenge Harley for his spot.

When X is our best WR and it's not a debate, that does tell you where our WR room stands independent of the scheme.

I'm not a big Gattis fan, but our current WRs were mediocre before he arrived.

That's been an issue since before Gattis arrived, though. A guy pushed out of OU came here and was our best WR last year and it wasn't close. Harley was a decent WR2 last year, but most of what he did was catch a bubble and YAC it up. Not a single guy from our current WR room was able to ever take hold of that WR3 spot last year, nor did anyone ever even challenge Harley for his spot.

When X is our best WR and it's not a debate, that does tell you where our WR room stands independent of the scheme.

I'm not a big Gattis fan, but our current WRs were mediocre before he arrived.
Everyone here said Harley was a bum and they couldn’t wait for him to leave pre Lashlee / Likens. Now go look at his stats after the hire. That’s what coaching does. Also blocking by the wr core as a whole was good last year. Rambo had such a big year because Lashlee kept using space to get him in constant 1 v 1’s. RL put constraint pressure on the safeties hitting on the seams. Thats what using space does . We had a bunch of wide open guys last year because of scheme. From Mallory ,Rooster to Arroyo , to Harley to Rambo. Brevin before that. Wiiiiiide open.

Advertisement
Lashlee put pressure on the seams with te’s
I don't get your infatuation with Lashlee. He had different positives but different negatives. We literally swapped out one problem for another. Gattis issue seems a lot more fixable.

I don't get your infatuation with Lashlee. He had different positives but different negatives. We literally swapped out one problem for another. Gattis issue seems a lot more fixable.
Gattis has Mario and Mirabal coaching the OL which is their strength. RL took Miami from **** near the 100’s in offense to being pretty **** good. I didn’t love him but he constantly schemed guys wide open . I’m not even a huge fan of the guy but it’s facts.

Everyone here said Harley was a bum and they couldn’t wait for him to leave pre Lashlee / Likens. Now go look at his stats after the hire. That’s what coaching does. Also blocking by the wr core as a whole was good last year. Rambo had such a big year because Lashlee kept using space to get him in constant 1 v 1’s. Constant pressure on the safeties hitting on the seams. Thats what using space does . We had a bunch of wide open guys last year because of scheme. From Mallory , to Arroyo , to Harley to Rambo.
I'm not arguing Lashlee didn't have better passing concepts than what Gattis has shown, but even with the scheme we had last year, and the potential better coaching they were receiving under Likens, none of the guys we have currently ever took hold of that WR3 spot and none were ever close to being as good as Rambo or even Harley.

It doesn't seem the WRs have gotten worse with Gattis as they were never that great to begin with. It is clear we aren't helping them out with our concepts, though, as I've mentioned before.

Advertisement
Everyone here said Harley was a bum and they couldn’t wait for him to leave pre Lashlee / Likens. Now go look at his stats after the hire. That’s what coaching does. Also blocking by the wr core as a whole was good last year. Rambo had such a big year because Lashlee kept using space to get him in constant 1 v 1’s. RL put constraint pressure on the safeties hitting on the seams. Thats what using space does . We had a bunch of wide open guys last year because of scheme. From Mallory ,Rooster to Arroyo , to Harley to Rambo. Brevin before that. Wiiiiiide open.
people need to see what Rambo looked like at OU and why he got benched. if he was that guy last year at OU, he wouldn't have lost his spot there and wouldn't need to transfer

I was at the game and I agree that the most deflating and frustrating sequence was the play calling in the red zone at the end of the third quarter, including a designed QB run. I thought for sure when TVD ran on second down they had already decided it was four down territory. Overall it felt like we took no shots at the end zone all night.

Then the error was compounded by kicking the field goal. The pace they were playing and the struggles in the red zone made it very unlikely they would get more than a couple of possessions to score a TD and unlikely that it would be followed with with a successful 2 point conversion.

Further, there was no increase in tempo or sense of urgency in the 4th quarter.

I know there were a lot of missed opportunities and players have to make plays, but this was a major failure by the coaches to make the right decisions and the most concerning aspect going forward. We have to be more aggressive in the red zone and have to leave Mario's ultra conservative game management back in Oregon.

Advertisement
Gattis has Mario and Mirabal coaching the OL which is their strength. RL took Miami from **** near the 100’s in offense to being pretty **** good. I didn’t love him but he constantly schemed guys wide open .
We weren't good when we tried to play good teams though. We couldn't run the ball. We had same complaints about not utilizing the TE enough. He had more creativity by far but he also had alot more bust than boom. ****** Fraggle could have improved the offense from the Denos era.

people need to see what Rambo looked like at OU and why he got benched. if he was that guy last year at OU, he wouldn't have lost his spot there and wouldn't need to transfer
He dropped everything and was inconsistent as ****. Their fans had moved on. Lashlee / Likens took their trash and made him a 70 + catch 1000 yard guy. That’s what development looks like.

Last edited:
Advertisement
He dropped everything and was inconsistent was inconsistent as ****. Their fans had moved on. Lashlee / Likens took their trash and made him a 70 + catch 1000 yard guy. That’s what development looks like.
bingo. somehow people forget that. people think he stepped in here as an absolute stud and carried everyone. nah the OC and the WR coach developed him. he was only here for a single season too and spent the same amount of time w both coaches that the current WR group has spent with Gattis

So lashlee wouldn’t benefit from mirabal and Mario?
Benefit yes, maybe he would have been more creative in the run game. But I can't pretend like he made bad WRs look good. Harley put the work in to get better. Rambo was imported in. No one else excelled in Lashlees scheme. You need good players end of story.

We weren't good when we tried to play good teams though. We couldn't run the ball. We had same complaints about not utilizing the TE enough. He had more creativity by far but he also had alot more bust than boom. ****** Fraggle could have improved the offense from the Denos era.
were we good Saturday night? at the end of the day, we did the same scoring wise we did against other big name opponents.

He dropped everything and was inconsistent was inconsistent as ****. Their fans had moved on. Lashlee / Likens took their trash and made him a 70 + catch 1000 yard guy. That’s what development looks like.

bingo. somehow people forget that. people think he stepped in here as an absolute stud and carried everyone. nah the OC and the WR coach developed him. he was only here for a single season too and spent the same amount of time w both coaches that the current WR group has spent with Gattis
What did he make Pope and Wiggins look like?

Advertisement
Back