Timing of new Head Coach

kanin81

Recruit
Premium
I think it’s 99.9% sure that Manny is gone and we will have a new coach next year so how do we maintain our current commits and the players that are leans towards us like Stewart, Kelly, Wesley, etc.?

We won‘t have a new coach before December and with the early signing day being December 15th. It leaves us with very little time. Plus if we get Mario, he won’t be here till January after the playoffs since Oregon will most likely be one of the 4 teams.

Who are the players that would stay committed no matter what?

Advertisement
I think it’s 99.9% sure that Manny is gone and we will have a new coach next year so how do we maintain our current commits and the players that are leans towards us like Stewart, Kelly, Wesley, etc.?

We won‘t have a new coach before December and with the early signing day being December 15th. It leaves us with very little time. Plus if we get Mario, he won’t be here till January after the playoffs since Oregon will most likely be one of the 4 teams.

Who are the players that would stay committed no matter what?

if we announced Mario in December, I don't think we have to worry bout recruiting.

DE has turned into the disaster most of us expected before the season.

Can't recall a single sack that wasn't coverage related when a DE just beat a RT/LT and sacked the QB.

Only way we get pressure is blitzing which results in Steed covering a WR 35 yds downfield.

Last edited:
Advertisement
We need to make the change as soon as possible.

I would not get your hopes up mid-season, because this Admin & BOT has shown they're completely out to lunch the past 10-15 years. I knew we're F'd when I read a quote from one of the BOT in that Barry Jackson article after Michigan St loss that said Julio Frenk is more passively involved and that "Shalala would be all over this". Like WTF HELLO!?! Who do you think is responsible for us being here in the first place? I thought it could not get anymore worse than her, but apparently it's much worse.

Last edited:
I listened to Larry Bluestein today in Joe Rose. Said plenty of recruits were there last night and that they see early playing time as the best opportunity. If they okay the young guys, it bodes well for our future with recruits. Get a solid head coach hire and the kids will stick. Hire the coach away from Temple, we won’t have a class (my $0.02).

Advertisement
I’ve been pushing this point for 3 weeks now. There was already too much of a sample size to see this hire was a complete failure. Was his heart in the right place and was he a real fan of the program? Absolutely. Was he in way over his head and didn’t realize that the problem all along was him? Yup.
The time was perfect for the president to fire Blake and for the new ad to promote an interim and begin a coaching search. I guarantee you that Simpson would not be running this program the way many is now.

Coaches talk and word gets around about ADs. Any serious contender already knows the BS they would have to put up with Blake and his kennel of assistants.

But the fact that Manny wasn’t gone 3 weeks ago already speaks that the AD and his kennel are here to stay and will hire some assistant or g5 coach who has a Rolodex full of his boys to come to Miami in finally put a kill shot through the program.

My level of optimism that any significant change to fully take advantage of the talent already in and that WAS going to come is gone.

You can’t recover this brand with some Al Golden clone. The days of just putting on a canes polo and showing up to a school to get a kid are gone. The coach has to be relevant and respected and a proven winner for us to make a kid want to come. Matt Campbell against Kirby, Day, Saban, and Jimbo at img helotage or sta ain’t gonna cut it. It just isn’t so stop hoping we get some dude like that.

Unless we can make a big splash hire quickly, I hope we take our time and find a good fit. Seems like the last couple of options were quick hires that end up sucking.

I listened to Larry Bluestein today in Joe Rose. Said plenty of recruits were there last night and that they see early playing time as the best opportunity. If they okay the young guys, it bodes well for our future with recruits. Get a solid head coach hire and the kids will stick. Hire the coach away from Temple, we won’t have a class (my $0.02).
Bluestein also said that you need 5 years to Build it.. yet all we hear from blu every year is what a great class we have.. kids like shemar Kelly Wesley are not going to come here if this implodes ...

Advertisement
Bluestein also said that you need 5 years to Build it.. yet all we hear from blu every year is what a great class we have.. kids like shemar Kelly Wesley are not going to come here if this implodes ...
So you think that they come here under the stability of Manny? The two concepts are dependent on each other but don’t have to be. The shame is that there is no way that someone like Shemar Stewart stays now. Kelly will be a tough pill. It’s either roll with a garbage head coach in Manny or not know the incoming coach and this lose out on recruits (I guess the best situation would be hiring a coach from a lower level school that may be willing to dedicate time to recruiting once their season wraps up). This is the negative side to the early signing day for teams like us.

Perhaps the solution is retaining TRob no matter who takes over so to have consistency and reputation. Say we go the route of Hugh Freeze or someone else with a strong offense background. If we could manage to get him to announce a hire right after the season ends and retain a strong D coach, we may be able to keep the majority of our current recruits (mostly D) and grab a few on the other side of the ball to build on. One can dream!

So you think that they come here under the stability of Manny? The two concepts are dependent on each other but don’t have to be. The shame is that there is no way that someone like Shemar Stewart stays now. Kelly will be a tough pill. It’s either roll with a garbage head coach in Manny or not know the incoming coach and this lose out on recruits (I guess the best situation would be hiring a coach from a lower level school that may be willing to dedicate time to recruiting once their season wraps up). This is the negative side to the early signing day for teams like us.

Perhaps the solution is retaining TRob no matter who takes over so to have consistency and reputation. Say we go the route of Hugh Freeze or someone else with a strong offense background. If we could manage to get him to announce a hire right after the season ends and retain a strong D coach, we may be able to keep the majority of our current recruits (mostly D) and grab a few on the other side of the ball to build on. One can dream!
I agree they won’t come here with Manny uNader these circumstances. These kids see and hear what’s going on with Manny because they are from down here.

I was just trying to point out that I take what blu says with a grain of salt. He always says what a great class we have and never says a negative word about our coaches.

Advertisement
I’ve been pushing this point for 3 weeks now. There was already too much of a sample size to see this hire was a complete failure. Was his heart in the right place and was he a real fan of the program? Absolutely. Was he in way over his head and didn’t realize that the problem all along was him? Yup.
The time was perfect for the president to fire Blake and for the new ad to promote an interim and begin a coaching search. I guarantee you that Simpson would not be running this program the way many is now.

Coaches talk and word gets around about ADs. Any serious contender already knows the BS they would have to put up with Blake and his kennel of assistants.

But the fact that Manny wasn’t gone 3 weeks ago already speaks that the AD and his kennel are here to stay and will hire some assistant or g5 coach who has a Rolodex full of his boys to come to Miami in finally put a kill shot through the program.

My level of optimism that any significant change to fully take advantage of the talent already in and that WAS going to come is gone.

You can’t recover this brand with some Al Golden clone. The days of just putting on a canes polo and showing up to a school to get a kid are gone. The coach has to be relevant and respected and a proven winner for us to make a kid want to come. Matt Campbell against Kirby, Day, Saban, and Jimbo at img helotage or sta ain’t gonna cut it. It just isn’t so stop hoping we get some dude like that.
Manny wanted to succeed and this is his dream job obv but he should’ve realized that P5 is cutthroat and he should’ve gone to temple and stayed. Now he’s out in three years and maligned by his hometown. You kinda feel bad for the guy. He probably could’ve had success at temple and parlayed that into a P5 job. Maybe even Miami. I think coaches are realizing this. That’s why billy Napier, Matt Campbell, like fickell are patiently waiting for the right opportunity. Look at Scott frost and manny Diaz and norvell. Those guys are dying a slow death

I agree they won’t come here with Manny uNader these circumstances. These kids see and hear what’s going on with Manny because they are from down here.

I was just trying to point out that I take what blu says with a grain of salt. He always says what a great class we have and never says a negative word about our coaches.
Point taken. I think the better way to present the situation to recruits (and what we are all asking for anyways) is to put the young guns in. First, we play with more energy and I think that we are legitimately better in some cases. But if that is what is seen by the next recruiting class and they see less than stellar competition ahead in their position, it could be a reason to stay commited/interested in coming here. The alternative is continue doing what we always do and rely on older guys that play like crap. I don’t think that we have much in terms of options these days but at least this option comes with a possibility of retaining a decent class (which is so lite on numbers right now it’s not funny).

Point taken. I think the better way to present the situation to recruits (and what we are all asking for anyways) is to put the young guns in. First, we play with more energy and I think that we are legitimately better in some cases. But if that is what is seen by the next recruiting class and they see less than stellar competition ahead in their position, it could be a reason to stay commited/interested in coming here. The alternative is continue doing what we always do and rely on older guys that play like crap. I don’t think that we have much in terms of options these days but at least this option comes with a possibility of retaining a decent class (which is so lite on numbers right now it’s not funny).
Yes the Early signing period really makes it difficult because 80-85 pct of players sign during it. Unfortunately, manny banked on having a great year. He went all in on himself. Bad move. We have low numbers as it is .. we will have to rely heavily on the portal during this transition year.

Advertisement
Back