Time to give Williams a shot?

I hope we don't fall in the trap of comparing every tall, lanky, white, weak-armed qb to Dorsey as if we're missing something. You get the feeling that if this kid we're 6' and black he'd probably be judged only on what we've seen which based on everything I can gather is quite bad. I have no interest in seeing somebody who's far worse than Morris.

Do you mean Ryan Collins?

Advertisement
I would give Williams the start against Georgia Tech and see what he can do. Let's not sugar coat it. Morris is playing awful. With our putrid defense, we cannot afford to be putting them back on the field because our quarterback cannot make a basic pass to an open receiver. We need a QB with an accurate arm in the short to intermediate game to keep drives alive when it's third and 5.

I don't buy "he stunk in the spring game" so he can't be any good now. Alot of reps have played out since then. Guys grow exponetially between spring and fall. Not saying he is the answer but it's obvious Morris isn't so let's roll him out there for a game and see what kind of a gamer he is. Kid started as a freshman in D1 for a season so he shouldn't have the deer in headlights syndrome Morris currently has.

At the very least I would give Williams more looks with the 1's in practice this week and give him a fair shot at earning the starting job. Every other starting position is up for grabs - why not the QB position.

I don't think Morris has been making bad decisions.. he had a bunch of overthrows, but that's correctable..

Why are we pretending as if we have never seen Williams play... He didnt perform well during the spring against our own defense and I doubt he is better than Morris now...

Morris is not the guy everyone should know that by now. He stares down his guy and has no patience or pocket presence and without that at qb your fked.

Advertisement
Give Morris another shot this week. Keep him firmly as the starter and don't **** with his confidence. Let's see what he has upstairs and see if he shakes this last game off.

I love the people making definitive assessments based on "the spring game". Not saying Williams is the answer but I hardly think one exhibition game is enough evidence to base any conclusions on either way.

Morris went 21 for 35 and threw for 215 yards. That is 60%. Again I can not stress enough to stop worrying about style points. We are a team in progress and our wide outs are learning to become a unit.

Morris is doing a good job. He is not being wreckless with the ball or forcing bad throws. Morris is inexperienced while working with an inexperienced wide receiving group. We have to give the unit time to grow.

Now here is the reality check. Morris sat out all of spring and most of summer work outs. In less than a week after Morris came back he had already passed Williams. That tells you all you need to know.

Last edited:
I would give Williams the start against Georgia Tech and see what he can do. Let's not sugar coat it. Morris is playing awful. With our putrid defense, we cannot afford to be putting them back on the field because our quarterback cannot make a basic pass to an open receiver. We need a QB with an accurate arm in the short to intermediate game to keep drives alive when it's third and 5.

I don't buy "he stunk in the spring game" so he can't be any good now. Alot of reps have played out since then. Guys grow exponetially between spring and fall. Not saying he is the answer but it's obvious Morris isn't so let's roll him out there for a game and see what kind of a gamer he is. Kid started as a freshman in D1 for a season so he shouldn't have the deer in headlights syndrome Morris currently has.

At the very least I would give Williams more looks with the 1's in practice this week and give him a fair shot at earning the starting job. Every other starting position is up for grabs - why not the QB position.

Give him a fair shot? Morris was out all spring and summer workouts. How much more time and reps does Williams need? In about a week after Morris returned in the fall he passed Williams up. You suggest giving Williams more reps?

Advertisement
- He looked uncomfortable in the pocket yesterday on those few plays when we attempted routes past 5 yards thus requiring slightly more time.
- He moved awkwardly within pocket and, for all the talk of his running ability, actually eschewed/missed out on opportunities for easy runs yesterday.
- The vast majority of his throws were high (I had flashbacks to kyle wright) including the one to scott in the flat(who made a great catch) and on that horrible INT.
- The throw on the flea flicker was curious at best.
- As for possibly being rattled post-KSU, he actually looked like he had swag when interacting with teammates on the sideline, from what i saw.
- All this being said, he's still clearly the best starting option for the canes and can only get better. i hope.

Kind of related side note: You know whose defense would be shredded by miami's horizontal only passing attack? answer = miami.

He looked bad yesterday, but it's way too early to consider benching him. Our supposed pro offensive coordinator and QB coach needs to work with him, not to mention call better games. If he's not making progress after a few more games, the annual "bench the starting QB" calls would at least be defensible.

I love the people making definitive assessments based on "the spring game". Not saying Williams is the answer but I hardly think one exhibition game is enough evidence to base any conclusions on either way.

The kid had all spring to take control of the position and lost within a week... He didnt perform all that well throughout the scrimmages during the spring and falll camp... You seen him play, why should he get more pt when qb isnt an issue?

He looked bad yesterday, but it's way too early to consider benching him. Our supposed pro offensive coordinator and QB coach needs to work with him, not to mention call better games. If he's not making progress after a few more games, the annual "bench the starting QB" calls would at least be defensible.
Fisch's only experience as an OC was one year at Minnesota, which was a disaster. They finished 109 in total offense. I'm not sure where this sudden rep as an offensive guru comes from.

Advertisement
Fisch's only experience as an OC was one year at Minnesota, which was a disaster. They finished 109 in total offense. I'm not sure where this sudden rep as an offensive guru comes from.

Repped.
Fisch is very much unproven.

Cityboy - It is what it is - sometimes you can't evaluate kids until the lights go on and they are thrown into the fire. Morris is not responding, and there is no reason to believe he will all of a sudden get it. He is a liability the way he is playing right now. We don't have any vertical offense so the advantage in arm strength he has is a mute point. If anything, his arm strength is working against him as he doesn't appear to have a good touch with his passes and over throws his target far too often.

My guess is the coaches are going to have him on a short leash for the next couple games. If he puts up another half of football as bad as the BC game, I think they will make a move to Williams. The offense just doesn't look in sync right now and part of that falls on the shoulders of the QB.

Give him a fair shot? Morris was out all spring and summer workouts. How much more time and reps does Williams need? In about a week after Morris returned in the fall he passed Williams up. You suggest giving Williams more reps?

Cityboy - It is what it is - sometimes you can't evaluate kids until the lights go on and they are thrown into the fire. Morris is not responding, and there is no reason to believe he will all of a sudden get it. He is a liability the way he is playing right now. We don't have any vertical offense so the advantage in arm strength he has is a mute point. If anything, his arm strength is working against him as he doesn't appear to have a good touch with his passes and over throws his target far too often.

My guess is the coaches are going to have him on a short leash for the next couple games. If he puts up another half of football as bad as the BC game, I think they will make a move to Williams. The offense just doesn't look in sync right now and part of that falls on the shoulders of the QB.

Take yourself out of the "Fan" role and place yourself in the "Head Coach" role. Now that you have done that let's look at what you stated. Do you tank your season after just one loss? Do you really want to risk taking a player that has not shown you anything in practice and hope he performs on gameday? That would be a desperate move where as a coach you are hoping what you just thrown against the wall stick. Why would you take that risk so early into the season? Let's look at some facts.

UM got beat down by Florida in the first game of the season. Florida ran us out the stadium. Guess what, we ended up running the table and winning our first National title. Virginia Tech lost the first two games of the season a few years ago and one of them was to a Division 1AA team James Madison. Tyrod Taylor played like garbage those games. Guess what, V Tech ended up running the table and won the ACC and went to a BCS bowl to lay Stanford. Tyrod Taylor became ACC Player of the year. I could go on and on.

Morris is a liability by the way he is playing? Morris went 21 of 35 and threw for 211 yards against BCC. He completed 60% of his passes. Morris is currently playing within the flow of the offense. Do you prefer that he starts attempting to win the game with his arm by flinging the ball all over the field? Or do you want your QB to take what the defense is giving him. Either someone is open or do what Morris has done and that is get rid of the ball or tuck it and try to make something out of the play. So why would the coaches have him on a short leash? Williams will not see the field unless Morris is injured. Not a chance in the world he will play other wise.

The offense looking out of sync is because they have inexperienced wide receivers. UM finally has a QB that does not force throws and we are complaining. Remember how much we wished J Harris would throw the ball away. Morris is very good with not forcing throws. That is what you want out of your starting QB. If anything our receivers need to step up because when watching film they run half *** routes at times and drop to many passes.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I am not anti S. Morris or R. Williams.

I would just really, really like to see what Dewey can do in this offense. I think he is a perfect fit; he is very accurate and makes good decisions and can make all the throws. He might not have the cannon that Morris has, but not many do.

I guess we will have to wait until next year. Oh well.

Morris went 21 for 35 and threw for 215 yards. That is 60%. Again I can not stress enough to stop worrying about style points. We are a team in progress and our wide outs are learning to become a unit.

Morris is doing a good job. He is not being wreckless with the ball or forcing bad throws. Morris is inexperienced while working with an inexperienced wide receiving group. We have to give the unit time to grow.

Now here is the reality check. Morris sat out all of spring and most of summer work outs. In less than a week after Morris came back he had already passed Williams. That tells you all you need to know.
21 for 35, 1 int and only 1 td thank to Duke's effort. Lousy!
But I agree to give him 1 or 2 more games to prove himself

21 for 35, 1 int and only 1 td thank to Duke's effort. Lousy!
But I agree to give him 1 or 2 more games to prove himself

So now we taking away stats for executing plays? That would be like subtracting Dorsey's stats because Santana Moss, Reggie Wayne and Andre Johnson were wide open

Advertisement
Back