Time to give Williams a shot?

blah blah blah blah.

Bottomline is, both of these seat warmers must step aside when His Holiness arrives on campus next year. QB U will finally be revived and it is long overdue.

Advertisement
IMO we're once again stuck with the worst QB in every game we play. His was no better than the kid from BCC today.
Will Miami ever have a decent QB again!!!!!

Thats what I say. Thrfee years, and he doesn't look any better at all, probably worse. I said 4-8 with him this year. (but I expected Lamar Miller to hurt us a lot worse, didn't see Duke coming on so fast. Without Duke, we are at least 1-2, maybe 0-3, and would finish 2-10

Morris can win this game this Saturday and we will all feel a lot better, but if we get roughed up, this thread will explode...

The guy is missing open throws which is unacceptable. The Williams spring game AG even admitted he was playing with 3rd and 4th string guys. I think Morris really needs some heat on him from the coaches/fanbase or he'll get too comfortable like J12 and think its OK to play lax.

Or wait and give Morris one more shot?

Maybe I should have it ready if needed hich is notoo far fetched a thought)

:D

Advertisement
The guy is missing open throws which is unacceptable. The Williams spring game AG even admitted he was playing with 3rd and 4th string guys. I think Morris really needs some heat on him from the coaches/fanbase or he'll get too comfortable like J12 and think its OK to play lax.

Good point, everyone saying it's unfair to question Morris needs to quickly remember this.

I think Morris clearly has a bigger gun than Williams, and probably a better feel for our scheme. He may have better upside, but the kid seems to be psyching himself out. The feel I keep getting with Williams is he could be another Ken Dorsey type guy. NOT that he will be Dorsey, but in that mold. Not physically gifted, but smart and resourceful on the field, and can just get it done.

It was like the Kenny Kelly/Dorsey debate from back then. KK had all the tools, but just couldnt put it together. Dorsey didnt have the expectations on his shoulders, he didnt have the cannon for an arm. Yet the kid was resourceful on the field and made smart decisions. He was the "calm" presence on the field which kept the offense focused and got them to execute.

My fear with Morris is he has all the tools, but mentally he cant put it together. I thought Morris did pretty well at BC, and last week he did ok, but for some bad decisions staying in the pocket too long. My fear is he is going to become another JH. Hes going to lock up mentally and psych himself out. Today was the first day we saw Fisch try to get Morris to open up more of a mid range vertical passing game, and I think its obvious why he stayed away from it in the first two games.

Maybe Im nuts. I just like the fact that Williams started most of a season as a Frosh. Kid has experience leading a team, and I just get a feel like maybe his experience could provide the kind of "cool head" we need on offense. This team is SO young, and is lacking in leadership in every aspect. It is absolutely CRITICAL that Morris either step up and take a major leadership role on offense, and if not, maybe Williams can do it.

I dont know, I just feel like something on offense is just lacking. I was also expecting to see more out of Morris by now. Im also tired and leery of the Greentree All Americans who tear it up in practice, and lock up when game day rolls around. There again, I remember the Kelly vs Dorsey thing. For all his talent and physical gifts, Kenny Kelly never developed the consistency on game day that we needed, whereas that skinny, scrawny kid from Cali wasnt necessarily blowing anyone away with this gun in practice, but on gameday, he just didnt get rattled, and made good decisions.

THANKS FOR THE EFFORT AND PRE-2013-OFF SEASON TOPIC

If Morris continues to struggle for one or two more games, I'm all for Williams starting.

Like others have said, Morris has a cannon but zero touch. He cannot throw certain passes, such as the fade. Say what you want about Jacory Harris, but the kid could throw one **** of a fade route in the endzone. This is why he had such a high number of touchdowns despite his deficiencies. Morris has real trouble with the redzone in his good games, and his good games seem to come only 1 in every 5 he plays.

Williams may be deeply flawed, but from what little I've seen the kid can throw with some touch. He might not have the strongest arm, but I believe he might be the more viable option a little later on down the line. If Morris' inability to move around properly within the pocket gets him injured one day, he better watch out. Williams might take over the game.

Advertisement
If Morris continues to struggle for one or two more games, I'm all for Williams starting.

Like others have said, Morris has a cannon but zero touch. He cannot throw certain passes, such as the fade. Say what you want about Jacory Harris, but the kid could throw one **** of a fade route in the endzone. This is why he had such a high number of touchdowns despite his deficiencies. Morris has real trouble with the redzone in his good games, and his good games seem to come only 1 in every 5 he plays.

Williams may be deeply flawed, but from what little I've seen the kid can throw with some touch. He might not have the strongest arm, but I believe he might be the more viable option a little later on down the line. If Morris' inability to move around properly within the pocket gets him injured one day, he better watch out. Williams might take over the game.

So you're down to give Morris the equivalent of one full year of starting as a college quarterback (with pretty decent performance) before throwing him under the bus? Four-five games starting under a new HC/OC? How generous our fans are.

Same time last year everyone was begging for Morris to start instead of Jacory, and now everyone is begging for Williams to start instead of Morris? Let's just keep that in mind. Maybe the coaches know their players better than we do?

Last edited by a moderator:

So you're down to give Morris the equivalent of one full year of starting as a college quarterback (with pretty decent performance) before throwing him under the bus? Four-five games starting under a new HC/OC? How generous our fans are.

Same time last year everyone was begging for Morris to start instead of Jacory, and now everyone is begging for Williams to start instead of Morris? Let's just keep that in mind. Maybe the coaches know their players better than we do?

Believe me, I did not want Morris starting over Jacory. Morris has always scared the crap out of me.

I had a faint glimmer of hope after he looked good in the BC game, that he had alleviated his issues. He obviously hasn't.

With rare exception (Brock Berlin is one), most QB's that start off looking as bad as Morris only get marginally better. He is at a severe disadvantage in the redzone. I've always kind of liked Williams as the guy to take the reins between now and Olson as a redshirt freshman (God ******* willing he is good).

I'm still willing to give him one or two more games this season before my final verdict. But then I'm going to start spamming the board in favor of Williams.

Advertisement
Maybe the coaches know their players better than we do?

They knew better than us. They didn't bring back the bubble screen offense for nothing. Unfortunately.

I would say Bob Stoops knows his players pretty well, but Sam Bradford would have sat on the bench a couple years more had the original started not gotten a fake job.

Had Bledsoe not been injured, who knows if Tom Brady would have broken out for The Patriots.

****, just last year the Dolphins had a late season turnaround of sorts with Matt Moore, who isn't great but was certainly miles ahead of Chad Henne.

And refresh my memory in case I'm wrong, but the way I remember 2000 Dorsey only started the season because Kelly transferred out, right?

These things happen all the time in football, due to a combination of factors. Sometimes a guy is better on gameday and weak during practice, and sometimes a coach simply overlooks a guy (even a backup who at one point shared first team reps).

I'm not saying that Williams is the answer, but I find it difficult to deny that Morris has been awful for most of his career. He wows people once every 5 or so games, and for the rest he looks almost exactly like Kyle Wright. Kyle Wright was so bad most people on here thought Jacory was good for a time.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back