Time to commit... [to Mario]

Can’t argue about the results so far @ Miami. Mario’s overall HC’ing tenure has been a mixed bag. FIU, Oregon, and Miami were/are very different situations with lots of different variables. That’s why I’ve said we can’t predict future results based on past success/failure.
I think the reactions to Mario come from losing that inexplicable game to Georgia Tech. If we only lost to UNC and we are 5-1 pretty much everybody would still be a believer. That’s why the Clemson game is so big because their overall roster's more talented than UNC.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Rebuild General Plan:

Yr 1 - Lose Big.
Yr 2 - Lose Close
Yr 3 - Win Close
Yr 4 - Win Big.

This is how I've always viewed rebuilds - long before we hired Mario. Also the longer lasting you want the rebuild to be, the longer you can expect it to take. Quick Fixes aren't usually sustainable. And you don't analyze that plan by W/L record either. You look at actual on field performance and how the talent is being accumulated.
Great analysis here

No one in the country better than stacking talent than Mario?
That’s not what I said. My quote:
“I'm not sure anyone in the country is clearly better at it than Mario.”
That’s very different than what you’re trying to imply.

I’ve been married a long time and easily recognize word twisting when I see it. Nice try though.

I've seen some really dumbass **** said on these boards over the years....****, I was even specifically called out to 'go to ******* ****' in the infamous DBC video...but this one....this one...just, wow. No one can possibly be this ******* stupid, can they? Well, except for maybe the OP, who for some inexplicable reason, seemed to think that Manny was making progress and just needed more time.

Come to think of it, a lot of the nonsense going on around the world suddenly makes a lot more sense if these are the kinds of mental midgets populating the planet.
Apparently your memory is failing you. I never said Manny needed more time. Never. But, I am not one to wait for the next guy to "figure it out". Other programs have sucked and yet turned things around in year two. They have been listed in this thread. But, Mario was hired solely because he was friends with a few big boosters. He was not stolen from a blue blood program, he was not the "hot" new guy. He did pretty well at a top PAC school with endless money. Chip Kelly did more, Willie did less. I want Mario to become our Saint Bobby, our Bear, our John McKay. But, to do that he needs to beat teams. He needs to beat ACC teams, he needs to beat ACC teams at home. Moral victories are not enough. Beat UNC, beat Clem, beat FSU and his track will be on the upward path. Lose to GT, gift games to UNC, lose 6 games the year after losing 7 and well, I do not think that is what we want. Do you think Texas AM wants to give Jizbo another year? **** he lost to an ACC team that could go less that .500 in conference for the second straight year. What he did, the national championships he won or played for at other schools are meaningless. Same with Mario in my mind. Win some games and I will gladly help fund a banner saying "thank you Mario." Keep losing and missing on needed recruits and well................

That’s not what I said. My quote:
“I'm not sure anyone in the country is clearly better at it than Mario.”
That’s very different than what you’re trying to imply.

I’ve been married a long time and easily recognize word twisting when I see it. Nice try though.
I simply think there are several organizations better at it than Mario and they have been stacking talent for some time, and perhaps moreso that this board (not saying you specifically) tend to over inflate his recruiting prowess related to their other comments re: talent acquisition and how talent is judged.

Example: You can't say "Draft don't lie" when talking about Miami not having talent, and then ignore when Oregon's drafts look the same as Miami over the same timeline...

Advertisement
Apparently your memory is failing you. I never said Manny needed more time. Never. But, I am not one to wait for the next guy to "figure it out". Other programs have sucked and yet turned things around in year two. They have been listed in this thread. But, Mario was hired solely because he was friends with a few big boosters. He was not stolen from a blue blood program, he was not the "hot" new guy. He did pretty well at a top PAC school with endless money. Chip Kelly did more, Willie did less. I want Mario to become our Saint Bobby, our Bear, our John McKay. But, to do that he needs to beat teams. He needs to beat ACC teams, he needs to beat ACC teams at home. Moral victories are not enough. Beat UNC, beat Clem, beat FSU and his track will be on the upward path. Lose to GT, gift games to UNC, lose 6 games the year after losing 7 and well, I do not think that is what we want. Do you think Texas AM wants to give Jizbo another year? **** he lost to an ACC team that could go less that .500 in conference for the second straight year. What he did, the national championships he won or played for at other schools are meaningless. Same with Mario in my mind. Win some games and I will gladly help fund a banner saying "thank you Mario." Keep losing and missing on needed recruits and well................

Are you the thread OP that I clearly referred to re: Manny needing more time???? No, you are not. Apparently my memory is a lot better than your reading comprehension, especially since my point had absolutely nothing to do with anything you've posted in this response.

Snoop Dogg Reaction GIF by Cameo

Advertisement
He’s right I simply think there are several organizations better at it than Mario and they have been stacking talent for some time, and perhaps moreso that this board (not saying you specifically) tend to over inflate his recruiting prowess related to their other comments re: talent acquisition and how talent is judged.

Example: You can't say "Draft don't lie" when talking about Miami not having talent, and then ignore when Oregon's drafts look the same as Miami over the same timeline...
Morgan Freeman Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

My expectations for this season were not very high. All I wanted was to see improvement and that the team was finally being steered in the right direction. Despite the GA Tech loss we should have been 5-0 and I would have been satisfied with that come back. UNC the wheels fell off in the second half leaving doubt. I’m not sure how banged up we are and not much info on injuries gets out. I believe many are playing hurt. I have not given up on Mario. Prime getting all the attention basically gutted the team brought in his own and humbly found out against Stanford it’s easier said than done. Execution takes a lot of heat off coaching. Mistakes make the coaching criticism soar. Clemson had FSU beat and if not for the missed chip shot they upset the over hyped seminoles. Dabs will be ready for this game no doubt. Can’t imagine a 3 loss Clemson team. But **** happens. I support Mario.

I simply think there are several organizations better at it than Mario and they have been stacking talent for some time, and perhaps moreso that this board (not saying you specifically) tend to over inflate his recruiting prowess related to their other comments re: talent acquisition and how talent is judged.

I was asserting that he is included in the group of elite recruiters along with Saban, Smart, and the like. I’m Team Mario, but I don’t own knee pads cuz I’m not a slurper. Compared to the last half a dozen coaches we’ve had, he is far superior at recruiting.

Dumb thought but I'm going to put it out anyway.

Mario should strongly consider hiring an analyst that can be in his ear during the game. A graybeard retired in-game coaching genius. A guy who can help mentor Mario on strategy, adjustments, time mgmt. etc. This guy can be patched in to Mario's headset during the game for consultations. Can this be done without violating rules on # coaches if this guy has no contact or coaching of players?

If we're really going to self-scout and if nothing is off limits then perhaps something like this should be considered.

Put ego aside and do it for a season or two at least and see if it does not make things better.

Anyway, just a thought. Fire away.

Advertisement
Are you the thread OP that I clearly referred to re: Manny needing more time???? No, you are not. Apparently my memory is a lot better than your reading comprehension, especially since my point had absolutely nothing to do with anything you've posted in this response.
Ok Mr. Educator. YOU QUOTED my post and said I was the internet’s dumbest poster. You can’t rewrite history. Take your loss and pour another one. We have a big game to get ready for.

Advertisement
Back